PDA

View Full Version : No Trick, My Halloween treat! Pig of a Rainbow.

DuckBrat
11-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Took a break from Grouse hunting as me and the dogs made it back to the lake around noon. The wind came up just enough to blow off the ice that formed last night. Pulled out the 7 weight rod and started casting the magic fall/spring fly, from the dock. The fish were active and even rising to the surface. The takes were very slow and I missed the first three hits. I got the rhythm down and started pulling in many 10 and 12 inchers. On my last cast of the alloted fishing break I caught this pig. Great fight, nice picture, released for you to catch tomorrow at a public fishery. 24.5 Inches with distended belly estimate at 6.5-7 pounds. Hope you enjoy, I know I did.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/2two/PA310431.jpg

Erik
11-01-2010, 03:12 AM
What a beautiful fish!!

Not to be rude or anything, but I think 6.5-7 lbs is a bit generous. I'd estimate 5.5-6, but fotos are never great for sizing fish; too many distortions.

Still, better than any fish I caught today. Way to go!

Geezle
11-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Wow...first reply... :rolleyes:

Nice fish man :)

Gust
11-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Gorgeous fish.

We headed out to a little pond down south and there were brutes shovelling minnows at shore, really neat to see. Sad that I didn't bring a different set-up. Not sure about the Edmonton region but Thursday thru Sunday should be stellar fishin around Calgary area, enough wind to crunch overnight ice.

Darren N
11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
sweet catch. At this time of year to have a flyrod and see fish rising and to catch them must of been exciting.

Marvel
11-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Looks like it really must have hurt to twist that rod in your mouth like you did.

Mickey
11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Nice fish.

I will never understand why people feel the need to dispute the size of a fish from a pic.

If he had called it a 14lb fish then I can see the need to post :snapoutofit:

but for 1lb difference? Seriously?

lone wolf
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice fish ~ glad to hear it is still out there growing for someone else to enjoy in the future.

Fishfinder
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Perty Perty! Looks like a nice healthy Bow indeed.
Congrads on a fine catch!:sHa_shakeshout:

DuckBrat
11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Judging by the lack of spots and the stocking record I am thinking this is a Triploid rainbow. Incredible growth for a 2.5 year old fish. I wonder if the lifespan of these trout is shortened by this accelerated growth?

goldscud
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Awesome piece of chrome. Triploids are supposed to live longer than diploids. Growth rates should be similar up to sexual maturity.

noslack
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Triploid fish don't have an eccelerated growth.

Here's the difference for the layman.

Triploid trout don't spend time and energy producing eggs. Those eggs get re-absorbed into the body.

So if a "certain" natural trout spends .... lets say 3 months to produce viable eggs.....then the triploid will have 3 months of extra growing time...

nice fish!

DarkAisling
11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Triploid fish don't have an eccelerated growth.

I attended a lecture the other night (Phillip Lowery) where it was said that triploids actually have slower growth in the first year, but accelerated growth after that.

As he is the king of still water fly fishing in Canada, I'll believe: him unless it can be backed up by a scientific opinion (enter Sundancefisher?).

goldscud
11-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Phil Rowley is the fellow's name. Not sure he is the king...
Females tend to mature in their 3rd year. From that point on triploids tend to grow faster than diploids since triploids are not producing eggs. The extra energy can be shifted to body mass rather than eggs. Male triploids still show morphological and behavioral changes at spawning time, but produce no sperm.

DarkAisling
11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Phil Rowley is the fellow's name.

I read your post. Thought "Well, that's what I said!" I read my post. I thought you were nuts. Couldn't figure it out.

Until I read my post a second time. :o

Thank you for correcting my silly error.

TexasTornado
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Nice fish.

I will never understand why people feel the need to dispute the size of a fish from a pic.

If he had called it a 14lb fish then I can see the need to post :snapoutofit:

but for 1lb difference? Seriously?

LMAO i think it's awesome!