PDA

View Full Version : Metis man wins fishing rights case

mooseburger
10-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Metis man wins fishing rights case
Last Updated: Thursday, October 18, 2007 | 5:31 PM CT
CBC News
A Métis man from Regina won a precedent-setting case on Friday that confirms his right to fish without a licence.

Five years ago, Don Belhumeur was fishing on Katepwa Lake, about 70 kilometres northeast of Regina, when a conservation officer asked to see his fishing licence.

Belhumeur pulled out his Métis status card. The officer gave him a $125 ticket and when Belhumeur refused to pay, the case wound up in court.

Previous court decisions have supported the right of Métis people to fish in Saskatchewan's northwest, but the Saskatchewan Environment Department argued that that right is limited to a specific area.

Belhumeur argued that Métis people have always been mobile and, therefore, he had the right to hunt and fish in other parts of Saskatchewan.

On Friday, provincial court Judge Diane Morris didn't agree with all of Belhumeur's points, but she did rule that Belhumeur belongs to a historic regional community that includes the Qu'Appelle Valley and extends to Regina.

She said Belhumeur has a right to fish for food in that region and is therefore not guilty of angling without a licence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go again.....hey it's not my can of worms so don't shoot the messenger..........mooseburger

The Moose Whisperer
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
FWIW, I don't know that I would call a SK provincial court judgement "precedent setting". In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a court with less precedential value than Saskatchewan's lowest court.