PDA

View Full Version : Power Auger Maintenence

g1987man
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone! i searched the forum but didn't find anything similar to this thread... so if there is one that exist, just redirect me there please.
i have an eskimo 43 cc 10'' ice auger and recently went to their web page to find out about some regular/preventive maintenance for those augers.. the only things i found were greasing the output shaft :thinking-006:
check gear oil level in the transmission and the last thing is fuel filter...
i am a fairly mechanically inclined guy... but i never dealt with 2-stroke engines before...
normally i use a regular engine oil for mixing fuel... (dad and a couple of other older guys told me its fine and that what they are used to...) how bad is it? what are the consequences of it in the long run?
also i would like to know if anyone ever checks oil level in that gearbox/tranny? how long does it take and how messy it is? also what gear oil should i use? (manufacturer did not specify)
Thank you
G.

New Hunter Okotoks
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I've actually never heard of people using reg oil as 2 stroke oil. It seems to me that the 2 stroke oil flows much more easily when I've mixed mine.I'm just going by what they pour like.

For how much fuel you would actually go through with an auger in a year,I would just use 2 stroke oil and not worry about it.

I think something worth mentioning for maintenance is the starter rope.Check it now and make sure it's not frayed or beat up.Way easier to change it in the garage than out on the lake.

Kim473
11-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Put fresh gas in, check oil in trans, change plug and keep old for spare, check pull cord, start and your done. All of 30 mins max. Use premium gas!!! Higher octane for winter means easier starting and better performance.

Small aircraft use 110 octane in the winter months. We can only get 91 or so. I used to go to the airport for gas for my snowmobiles, mix 50/50 with premium to bring the octane up to about 100. What a difference! But be carefull you can burn up your pistons real fast on warm days and hot plugs, 10% more power tho. When racing, use 100% airplane fuel. May have to change out pistons after a day but you won lots more races.

Safety D
11-03-2010, 12:12 AM
kim473 knows what he is talkin about !!!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol: