PDA

View Full Version : how big should walleye be to mount

B.O.
10-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I just returned from my annual southern alberta fall fishing trip. We caught 100's of walleyes. Most notably was a 12lbs. 32.5" walleye I caught. We still had 2 full days left in our fishing trip when I caught it so I did not want to ruin it by packing up to go, as I did not have a freezer large enough for this fish I did not want to kill it if I could not have it mounted. A couple of pics. were taken and I turned her back to the river. I am agonizing over releasing this fish as I doubt I will ever see one like that again. The next day I caught and also released a 10.5lbs 30" and 2 over 27". I have caught and released several walleye over 9lbs. but nothing close to that fish.
Here are some pics I got the fish my brother holding was 6lbs.11oz.

camochris3030
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Some taxidermies can make you a wall mount without the fish if you take the right pictures and mesurements

Dr. Fish
10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow those are some good walleyes. If your looking for one to put on the wall then anything thats in that 12 pound range is what you should be looking for. They do get larger but not very often! I've got one on the wall but I chose to have a replica done up, and it worked out pretty good.

fishing101
10-21-2007, 10:38 AM
If you are looking to get a mount done look at hawkins. They do an amazing job on replica's with your photos. They will last you forever and they are super strong. They are out of winnipeg.

Mulestalker
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I would say anything over 12lbs is worthy of mounting,I have caught many walleyes from 7-12lbs but the 12+ fish are kind of like those 170+ whitetails,they are there, but hard to find.My best to date is 13.51 and that was 14yrs ago....but still trying to beat it!

BigRackLover
10-21-2007, 11:20 PM
100% artificial mounts are the way to go I think. Best to put the fish back if its not a good eater and a producer. I here you can do it with pics and 2 measurements - girth and length.

KJPFISH
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Congrats on a great fish! I caught a 12 lb x 33" walleye at Lake Newell the end of June and am getting a replica mount made from Advance Taxidermy out of Caledon, ON. They do great work, but it is somewhat pricy (~$700 for my plain wall mount). I just sent them the length and girth, plus few pictures.

Here is their website: http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/

KJPFISH

B.O.
10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys for responding. From what I had seen in the past for replica mounts I would have never considered one, but having researched it I was very impressed with advanced taxidermy. I got in touch with them and commisioned them to make me a replica mount of my fish. I feel a lot better knowing I can have my trouphy on my wall while the real fish was released healthy. Now I have to wait till next april to get her.

sheephunter
10-26-2007, 05:50 PM
They are great guys B.O. I got a tour of their facility a couple years ago and was very impressed. I think you'll be very happy with the results.