PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing boot question

ORV
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
well the time has come to retire my old sorrells.
rumtan will not be able to bug me about my green laces & pink trim
mixed with generous amounts of duct tape to cover auger slices
any more.lol

sooo. my question is what does everyone think is the best bang for the buck
for boots? i tried some wind river from marks last night that were not
too bad.they said minus 100 on them. which i really doubt.

opinions please?

thanks

orv.

Big Schnizz
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a pair of Baffin Impacts that I've had for 2 seasons. They are also rated to -100 and I have found them to be very warm. They were a little more expensive than the Sorels if I remember correctly, but they were way lighter and just look warmer. I can't confirm this, but I think I have heard or read somewhere that Sorels are now made in China instead of Canada and the Baffins are made in Canada.

doublehaul
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm in the same boat, I'll be going with the Dunlop boots from Marks, I have heard lots of good about them plus they are water proof up to the top so they double as rubber boots. Good for clearing slush. Some guys use them year round.

barbless
11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
What I have found out over the years about winter boots is when you buy the ones that are good to -60 or -100 both do actually work if you use them the right way. Most important I find is if you plan to be outside all day put them on just before you go out and try not to let your feet start to sweat. That's when they will get cold. Also try to buy at least one size bigger than you need so yor feet have some room to move and breathe. I work outside all winter and found the sizing to be the most important. Feet have not been cold since then. Rubber uppers also great for those chinook days. As far as brand name choice is yours. Usually get what you pay for. Just my thought though. I hate cold feet and hands

horsetrader
11-02-2010, 07:15 PM
What I have found out over the years about winter boots is when you buy the ones that are good to -60 or -100 both do actually work if you use them the right way. Most important I find is if you plan to be outside all day put them on just before you go out and try not to let your feet start to sweat. That's when they will get cold. Also try to buy at least one size bigger than you need so yor feet have some room to move and breathe. I work outside all winter and found the sizing to be the most important. Feet have not been cold since then. Rubber uppers also great for those chinook days. As far as brand name choice is yours. Usually get what you pay for. Just my thought though. I hate cold feet and hands

Your right about not letting your feet sweat.All I ever wear is felt lined rubber boots.When your fishing sitting in side you have heat when fishing outside usually walking around have never had any problems ctc.69.99.

H

nicemustang
11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I have used the rubber boots with the -100c rating inserts from Peavy Mart. Have had them for 5 seasons so far. Kinda bulky but water proof too and can't beat -100. At peavy mart they were like 80 or 90$$$.

LacLaBicheNS
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM

to completely solve the sweaty feet problem, spray your bare feet with areosol antipersperant (same stuff you use on your armpits). This tip was in a Ontario Out Of Doors magazine from the 1980's

Geezle
11-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I got a pair of Wind River boots from Mark's last year and wore them for the season both at work as well as ice fishing and have no complaints :)

X2 on using anti-perspirant on your feet as well

DarkAisling
11-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I have a pair of Sorel Glacier boots. Love 'em :) Coded to an active rating of -80, which is great for sitting around on the ice at -15 or -20. They're a size too big for me, and they make my feet look huge. I trip over them sometimes.

Didn't think about slicing them up with an auger (one more thing to worry about). May have to get a couple more pairs if I can find them.

billie
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Whatever boots you get, look for the mesh insoles and put them under the felts in the boots. They keep an air space between the felt and the cold boot. I worked 2 winters outside and had a good chance to compare the difference, very noticable.

The insole is like a very coarse window screen, about 1/8" thick. I don't remember the brand name but they add alot of comfort to a long day out in the cold and you don't get as much moisture in the felts.

horsetrader
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Whatever boots you get, look for the mesh insoles and put them under the felts in the boots. They keep an air space between the felt and the cold boot. I worked 2 winters outside and had a good chance to compare the difference, very noticable.

The insole is like a very coarse window screen, about 1/8" thick. I don't remember the brand name but they add alot of comfort to a long day out in the cold and you don't get as much moisture in the felts.

Good idea air space in the boots should help any moisture to be released.
Thanks

h

Outcast 1100
11-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Go get yourself a pair of muck boots, you will be glad you did, i know that i am very happy with them. there are many diffrent types to choose from. i have the wetlands boot. good from -30to +20.

DarkAisling
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
TFH has Muck's "Arctic Sport" boot reduced right now, for a pretty decent price:
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=9233510&enlargeSkuz=24575

EDIT: I should add that the temperature ratings on boots are "active" ratings. There is a big difference in comfort level when one is sitting on his/her rump staring down a hole in the ice versus being up and moving around.

ORV
11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks shelley.
i am going to check out some baffins in the next day or two.
with this weather we are having i can take my time.lol
it probably won,t be really cold until we head up for grey cup.

orv.