PDA

View Full Version : Big bad Bow brown

528guy
11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
My biggest trout ever. Caught him on a rapala after about 90 minutes of futile casting. Was quite exciting to get a nice lunker for a change. The Bow has been hot the last few days, mcluvin it!

jorge997
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice catch!

npauls
11-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice broonie,

I need to get up there and fish some of that water in the near future.

So many places to fish and so little time and money to get there.

Nate

5Weight
11-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Awesome brown! Any others that day?

5W

greylynx
11-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Is that a sore on the fishes back?

From the photo it looks like Saprolignia

DuckBrat
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Beauty fish! You go girl!

528guy
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Is that a sore on the fishes back?

From the photo it looks like Saprolignia

Dunno, it had a few open wounds on it that looked pretty recent. I caught a rainie a few months back that had the same type of wound. Maybe a wound or a fight with a chupacubra?

528guy
11-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Awesome brown! Any others that day?

5W

The only one I got, but the 2 guys upstream from me caught 3 nice rainbows. Saturday I caught 2 in the same spot, but nowhere near as big as mr brownstone.

greylynx
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Dunno, it had a few open wounds on it that looked pretty recent. I caught a rainie a few months back that had the same type of wound. Maybe a wound or a fight with a chupacubra?

The initial wound could come from herons, cormorants, eagles, other raptors.
a snag from a fishhook, an otter bite, a chupacubra bite.

I thought chupacubras no longer exist in Calgary. The last chupacabras I ever saw in Calgary were at the St. Louis, and Beacon Hotels.:sHa_shakeshout:

The hairy looking stuff on the side looks like Saprolignia, which is a very common fungal infection in fish with lowered immune systems. Saprolignia will often occur around the wound, and as the fish gets more sick, will reach the gills.

Fisher_man#1
11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
That bridge looks familiar..... nice fish!!!
be careful when you grab the fish near the gills as these all need to be released.

Cheers.

528guy
11-02-2010, 09:18 PM
The initial wound could come from herons, cormorants, eagles, other raptors.
a snag from a fishhook, an otter bite, a chupacubra bite.

I thought chupacubras no longer exist in Calgary. The last chupacabras I ever saw in Calgary were at the St. Louis, and Beacon Hotels.:sHa_shakeshout:

The hairy looking stuff on the side looks like Saprolignia, which is a very common fungal infection in fish with lowered immune systems. Saprolignia will often occur around the wound, and as the fish gets more sick, will reach the gills.

All the more reason for c&r.

goldscud
11-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Fish tend to get beat up during spawning season and their resistance to disease decreases. Please handle them carefully and try to keep them in the water. Looks like your fish is finished spawning already. Hope you get to catch it again some time.

slingshotz
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Could also be the resident pike(s) in that pool that attacked the brown.

Fishfinder
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Nice catch! generally hard work pays off in the end I figure.
Keep it up, thanx for sharing!:)

zabbo
11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
nice!!

Dust1n
11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
My biggest trout ever. Caught him on a rapala after about 90 minutes of futile casting. Was quite exciting to get a nice lunker for a change. The Bow has been hot the last few days, mcluvin it!

Dont ever put your hands in the gills of any trout especialy in the hot summer. It will seem like there fine when they swim away but it is the long term thing. I hope you released it keping browns is a seroius thing if we all want this river t be a trophy fishery

Darren N
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweet brown. I dont get much of a chance to catch the natural (non stocked) trout. Awhile back on another thread someone mentioned one way to tell the difference between a stocked fish, and a natural fish is that the stocked fish have squared tails and not the V shape. Did I read or understand that wrong becuase this fish has a squared off tail? confused now.

itsnotaseasyasimakeitlook
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Sweet brown. I dont get much of a chance to catch the natural (non stocked) trout. Awhile back on another thread someone mentioned one way to tell the difference between a stocked fish, and a natural fish is that the stocked fish have squared tails and not the V shape. Did I read or understand that wrong becuase this fish has a squared off tail? confused now.

no, you didnt misunderstand anything. whoever posted that info didnt understand that there is quite a bit more to being able to tell the difference between a naturel and stocked fish. hes right in the sense that fish that stay in a hatchery for a few years usually have rounded off fins and tails from the cement runways at the hatchery (ie broodstock). but this doesnt usually get a chance to happen to the fingerlings and yearlings which account for well over 90% of the trout stocked in ab every year. the squareness of the tail also varies between each species of trout.

here are a couple examples

here is a pic of stocked fish with a square tail. the proof that this is in fact a stocked fish is in the species, as tiger trout virtually never occur naturally.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/it%20begins/034_34A-2.jpg

here is pic of a natural fish with a very un-square tail. the proof of its origins is again in the species, lake trout havnt been stocked by srd in alberta in well over 20 years.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/2010%20incoming/Picture003-1.jpg

the origanl poster's info becomes even less "helpful" when you take into account that srd would alsmost never stock the broodstock or catchable sized fish that commonly have damaged and eroded fins into waters that already have naturally re-producing trout.

so say-eth the one and only troutpirate.

hope that helps with the confusion:)

Darren N
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks. I didn't realize that the stock trout can get square tails from hatchery rubbing. Now if you take into account that some species of trout naturally have the square tail, then the original poster theory does not work. Also take into account that he may of meant during that thread for that one species of fish in that one certain lake so he may still be correct, and I just assumed he meant for all situations. Either way "I have been taught" and not confused anymore. Thanks.

jeprli
11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Easiest way to find out if it is a stocked trout or not is to look at adipose fin and tail. Either one will be chopped off. Tail gets chopped on the top end and adipose gets almost completely removed.

I've yet to see a forked tail on a brown trout, they're all square, no matter the river, lake or another continent.

hunter49
11-20-2010, 05:49 PM
no, you didnt misunderstand anything. whoever posted that info didnt understand that there is quite a bit more to being able to tell the difference between a naturel and stocked fish. hes right in the sense that fish that stay in a hatchery for a few years usually have rounded off fins and tails from the cement runways at the hatchery (ie broodstock). but this doesnt usually get a chance to happen to the fingerlings and yearlings which account for well over 90% of the trout stocked in ab every year. the squareness of the tail also varies between each species of trout.

here are a couple examples

here is a pic of stocked fish with a square tail. the proof that this is in fact a stocked fish is in the species, as tiger trout virtually never occur naturally.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/it%20begins/034_34A-2.jpg

here is pic of a natural fish with a very un-square tail. the proof of its origins is again in the species, lake trout havnt been stocked by srd in alberta in well over 20 years.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/2010%20incoming/Picture003-1.jpg

the origanl poster's info becomes even less "helpful" when you take into account that srd would alsmost never stock the broodstock or catchable sized fish that commonly have damaged and eroded fins into waters that already have naturally re-producing trout.

so say-eth the one and only troutpirate.

hope that helps with the confusion:)

Not sure where you got your info, but it in incorrect. Wild brook trout and wild brown trout both have square tails. The way their tail is forked or un-forked depends on species and has nothing to do with being stocked or not.

jeprli, I have seen stocked trout that have adipose fins and perfectly normal tails...

Alberta Bigbore
11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice Brooooooonie !!!!

jeprli
11-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I guess different hatcheries use different methods of marking their fish. What i posted above is what i've seen around Calgary. Mostly it's clipped tail and on rare occasion adipose.