PDA

View Full Version : new homemade hut

pikehunter1989
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
so i decided to build myself a hut this summer. its still not finished but just waiting on a tarp, a couple vent holes, put in a couple windows and fab up some skis for towing it around. and than just wait for the ice to start forming. :fishing:

i used 2X3's going width wise and 2X4's going the length of it for the "skis"..im a welder so im going to get some peices of scrap 16 gauge sheet metal and screw those in the 2X4's and than off the end make them curve up as a ski about 6-10 inches past the end of the base. i got a peice of plexi glass from a guy at work for a couple windows that i am going to put at the perfect height ( eye level when your sitting)..the nice thing about the base of it aswell is around the holes its the perfect height to put a couple of ummm lets just say...pops and juice right on the ice :happy0180:

anyways heres a few pics of it so far

btw im open to any other ideas to make it that bit better. but just keep in mind its pretty much at the max weight that i want it to be

mudbug
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks pretty good :sHa_shakeshout: When are you going to ask us all to give it a try? :fishing:

Graffy91
11-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Man thats frickin' wicked sick.

Hope she holds up well you,

Best wishes. :sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
11-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Looks good so far. post pics when you have it completed. How big is it.

pikehunter1989
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Looks pretty good :sHa_shakeshout: When are you going to ask us all to give it a try? :fishing:

hopefully sooner than later...it'll be on the ice as soon as the ice is safe enough.

Looks good so far. post pics when you have it completed. How big is it.

its 4 ft by 8 ft by 6 ft 3 or 4 i think i made it. I was going to make it 5x8 but i couldnt figure out a easy enough way to make a seam on both ends and theres no where in edmonton that carrys 5 ft sheets. oh ya and if you at the base the "center ski" is over to one side off center..thats because i had the base made and built it 5x8 and than had to cut of a foot from one side :mad3:

Geezle
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Looks wicked man...how heavy is it? Is it still decent enough for one guy to drag into the bed of a truck?

I'm gonna have to get out with you and mooseknuckle this winter :fishing:

Bushmaster
11-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Looks pretty good...made one VERY similar over 20 years ago.

Go easy on the windows or have covers for them....they will let it so much light that you will lose visibility downhole.......

CeeZee
11-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks Good, now pray for ice quickly!!! My project this late fall is to build one of those big "ice houses" on wheels, then there is no reason for me to feel bad about leaving the wife and kids at home, they can be right at home on the lake and even fish to boot!

lyallpeder
11-05-2010, 07:01 AM
I made one like that last year but did not get it done in time. I need to rig up some skis I don't have I truck so I will be pulling it out on the ice by hand. I made mine so the end walls fold down like yours or come off and sandwich up with the tarp inside them to make it lighter

maclennanchris
11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Wicked job there. So what are you using to fasten your tarp?? What kind of tarps you using......Insulated or just like and onionskin???

mooseknuckle
11-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Looking awesome buddy! I'll buy the "juice" if you save me a seat. As soon as we have some decent ice we got to head out I'll help pull that thing if need be. You still going to use that thin insulated black tarp like material?

pikehunter1989
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Looks wicked man...how heavy is it? Is it still decent enough for one guy to drag into the bed of a truck?

I'm gonna have to get out with you and mooseknuckle this winter :fishing:

its probobly about 120 lbs is my guess...youd have to get one end on the tailgate and than slide it in..i honestly havnt even tried loading it yet but im pretty sure one guy could do it..
definatly have to come out a couple times this year..and hey if terry cant make it out and you want to go out just let me know and ill more than likly be up for going out.
Looks pretty good...made one VERY similar over 20 years ago.

Go easy on the windows or have covers for them....they will let it so much light that you will lose visibility downhole.......

good call on the windows...didnt even think about that. ya ill definatly have to pick up a couple of covers or somthing.

Wicked job there. So what are you using to fasten your tarp?? What kind of tarps you using......Insulated or just like and onionskin???

my boss has black tarp that has a thin layer of insulation in the middle..so im hoping itll work good..as for fastening the tarp..im not to sure on that one yet..trying to figure out a way that ill be able to tighten it up as the tarp stretches out a bit.
Looking awesome buddy! I'll buy the "juice" if you save me a seat. As soon as we have some decent ice we got to head out I'll help pull that thing if need be. You still going to use that thin insulated black tarp like material?

sounds good man..you know im almost always down for a outing. ya im hoping he remembers to grab it from his cabin this weekend (hes not the most reliable guy for remember stuff)...after i have the tarp than its pretty much done..and than its just time to wait for ice :(

maclennanchris
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
12x20 insulated tarps at unicon are like 40 bucks.....orange or white

pikehunter1989
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
12x20 insulated tarps at unicon are like 40 bucks.....orange or white

im really wanting a black one though..which i can get one for free..

npauls
11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I built almost the same hut but small enough to fit in the back of a ranger sized truck. One thing that I did was built a shelf over top of the holes that can be taken out so that the hut still folds flat.

I took a couple pieces of 2x4 and screwed them to the end walls. I then took a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it 10" or 12" wide and the length of my hut. All you have to do then is set the shelf on top of the 2x4 supports on either end and you can set you flasher or fish tv or lunch on there. Keeps it a bit more clean on the floor. I also made my shelf fit very tight so if you bump it, it won't move and dump things down the hole.

Nate

lyallpeder
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE= .as for fastening the tarp..im not to sure on that one yet..trying to figure out a way that ill be able to tighten it up as the tarp stretches :([/QUOTE]

Mine I wrapped the tarp over the edge of the end wall and tacked it on then a strip of plywood over the edge of the tarp. If it stretches I will use a longer ridge pole

pikehunter1989
11-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I built almost the same hut but small enough to fit in the back of a ranger sized truck. One thing that I did was built a shelf over top of the holes that can be taken out so that the hut still folds flat.

I took a couple pieces of 2x4 and screwed them to the end walls. I then took a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it 10" or 12" wide and the length of my hut. All you have to do then is set the shelf on top of the 2x4 supports on either end and you can set you flasher or fish tv or lunch on there. Keeps it a bit more clean on the floor. I also made my shelf fit very tight so if you bump it, it won't move and dump things down the hole.

Nate

thats a good idea..i was trying to figure out a way to build a bench that folds down flat ish aswell but still cant quite figure that one out. but i may just use your idea and put a shelf in..i like it..thanks for the tip

Mine I wrapped the tarp over the edge of the end wall and tacked it on then a strip of plywood over the edge of the tarp. If it stretches I will use a longer ridge pole

ya this is exactly what i was thinking of doing..its the easiest way i suppose

-JR-
11-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I almost have the same set up like yours, having a door on both sides is the way to go.
I also have that same shelf set up.
On you shelf you need a 1 inch rim so items don't fall off into the hole.
A few Small J hooks on the out side edge of the shelf are good too for hanging your rod , while you are having a bite etc.
More tips.
What I did for seating is use 2 pails ,one at each corner,then place a piece of plywood across it making a bench. I did screw down some blue styrfoam to the plywood for comfort.You might want one pail in center also.
Nice thing about the pails you can store things in them .
Have to figure out a back rest. Might do something like the shelf ,except on edge.
keep the main shack light ,and the shelving and seats seprate 100 pounds feels like 200 at the end of the day,trying to lift it in the truck .
Find yourself some old skis so you can wax them. other wise you will find your steel skis frezzing into the ice. I have a set of 200 cm that I might be willing to let go for some ice fishing wisky.
You need to make some sliding windows ,gets realy hot in there with a heater.
See you out on the lake !

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/IMG_1644.jpg

pikehunter1989
11-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I almost have the same set up like yours, having a door on both sides is the way to go.
I also have that same shelf set up.
On you shelf you need a 1 inch rim so items don't fall off into the hole.
A few Small J hooks on the out side edge of the shelf are good too for hanging your rod , while you are having a bite etc.
More tips.
What I did for seating is use 2 pails ,one at each corner,then place a piece of plywood across it making a bench. I did screw down some blue styrfoam to the plywood for comfort.You might want one pail in center also.
Nice thing about the pails you can store things in them .
Have to figure out a back rest. Might do something like the shelf ,except on edge.
keep the main shack light ,and the shelving and seats seprate 100 pounds feels like 200 at the end of the day,trying to lift it in the truck .
Find yourself some old skis so you can wax them. other wise you will find your steel skis frezzing into the ice. I have a set of 200 cm that I might be willing to let go for some ice fishing wisky.
You need to make some sliding windows ,gets realy hot in there with a heater.
See you out on the lake !

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/IMG_1644.jpg

nice looking set up there..and good ideas aswell..thanks for all the info and tips guys..definatly very helpful in helping me with the final touches on it :happy0180:

mudbug
11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Definately use a black tarp. My firend used an orange insulated one and it was way too light inside so he just put a black tarp over the orange one to make it darker.

Ruger1022
11-06-2010, 01:25 PM
First off,.. Very Nice!!

I have used sticky backed 3" velcro for a similiar project and it worked really well to stick the tarp on. Shoot me a PM and I may be able to get you some cheap or trade!!