PDA

View Full Version : Cow elk hunting around Suffield

Arrowhead
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have any advice on where to focus around the Suffield base to try and fill a cow elk tag? My dad (in his 70's) was drawn this year and has never harvested an elk before. Sure would like to help him fill his tag! Any recommended areas?

botwood
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I can say this much, I worked for 6 straight years - minimun 20 days/month on the Suffield base where no hunters are even permitted. In all that time I never saw one single Elk.

I'm not sure how this tranlates into the surrounding area but I have a pretty good idea.

I wish you good luck - and I mean that sincerly.

ishootbambi
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
i saw a herd of about 30 bulls today inside the fence....and some of them were giants. hopefully tomorrow i can get some pics if they are a little closer. i also have been seeing around 1000 antelope a day. many bucks have already shed 1 or both horns. none of the bucks carrying horns were very big.

and also today i got a reminder of the dangers of suffield. the well we were working on yesterday had a mortar shell stuck in the ground 2 feet from the water tank. we worked all day on that well and noone saw it until they were cleaning up for the day (i was gone). so today, the area was closed for sweeps and blinds. in short, they kicked everyone out of the area to blow up the bomb. to anyone who thinks the base will open to hunters......yeah....right.

and to the op....good luck. find a crossing on the north boundary and be there morning and night. good luck to you. if i see something you would be interested in the next couple days ill let you know.

botwood
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I've been away from the Block for about 7 yrs now, and what you described brought back many memories for me. Dealing with Alberta zero was always fun too.

Sounds like there are more animals there now than when I worked there. Or perhaps I just wasn't all that abservant.

ishootbambi
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
no it wasnt just you, the population has absolutely exploded in the last few years. there are gazillions of them....thats a technical term, lol.

and yes, there is one rather foul operator at alberta 0 who likes to make everyone as miserable as that person is. oh well....whaddya do. the other 2 regulars on the radio are pretty good to talk to.

backwoods
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I haven't spent much time there but just like ishootbambi said, the North boundry at first light and last light. Try straight South of Buffalo and be right at the fenceline for prime-times. I did see a few North East of Jenner on the colony as well.

Best of luck to you and your dad.

botwood
11-05-2010, 05:50 PM
there is one rather foul operator at alberta 0 who likes to make everyone as miserable as that person is.

Yup I remember him well, I had a few run ins with him myself, everyone that works there has i guess.

shooter3456
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah I saw a nice mortar shell on a lease site today as well, definitely alot of blinds being blown up this week. I also saw a huge herd of elk (300-400) about half a mile in the base on the west side fence off the Jenner highway.

Arrowhead
11-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks all. The north side was where we figured we would start. Good luck this season.