PDA

View Full Version : how to make jerk? advice recipes etc.

bowchaser
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I have access to a Bradley smoker. I was going to cut up a few moose roasts from last year and was looking for some advice. Haven't tried it before...

best way to cut, when and what to marinate with, recipes, length of time in smoker, whatever you've got...

thanks.

chuck0039
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
i to have the 6 rack bradley smoker, Cut the roast with the grain not against. check with your local butcher and packers for brine and curing salt do a 36 to 48 hours soak time in the brine. your smoker should have come with a guide for cook time. i smoke for 4 hours and cook for 6 hours but use your own judgment i don't like my jerky super dry.

Duk Dog
10-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Head to the Bradley Smoker web site. They have a message board on it as well to get some recipes. I made some a while back and just used a simple recipe that was listed in the Bradley recipe book. It was pretty simple and straight forward.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/main-page.asp?body=main.html

duffy4
10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
A couple days ago a friend picked up one of those "Caulking gun" kind of things that you fill with burger and spices and "extrude" a flat strip of meat when you squeese it out. He dryed the meat in his oven at really low heat. (actually turnned the oven on and off over several hours.) Wow was it ever great jerky. I used to cut meat in strips and jerk it but I am going to invest in one of these "berger jerkers"

Robin in Rocky

aulrich
10-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I do the ground jerky thing too, I just can't sacrifice a good cut for jerky.

I have found the high country spice packs to be very dependable, they work for whole or ground jerky.

YamahaMan72
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
You cant go wrong with a jerky shooter i have made 10 pounds in the last 3 days i use a dehydrator and the oven it is great stuff.My kids like it also because its not so tough to chew.

bagwan
10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
CTR had Bradleys on sale last week for $295. Don't know how long etc its on for. Great place to buy spices, salt etc. . For instance coriander is $2.95 for 500 grams. Nutters is same price for 12 grams. Similar savings on jerky makings as well.

Mad_Mikee
10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I made 6lbs of Jerky using ground meat. 3lbs using regular lean ground beef and 3lbs using lean ground moose I had in the freezer.

I have both a Bradley smoker and a food dehydrator. Did 2 or 3lbs in the smoker, and the other 3 or 4lbs I did in the smoker. Both were set at about 150-160 degrees and I let them run for 5 hours.

I've done jerky using whole meat in the past but it never seems to turn out.
I've had nothing but compliments on the various types of ground jerky I make.

One batch I make for a friend and I add a bunch of hot sauce to it to spice things up a bit.

I've tried the High Country spices before but found them to be too salty. Now I get all my seasoning and cure from CTR in Calgary. Now that I think of it, i also got the big metal jerky blaster gun from CTR as well after breaking 2 other small plastic ones which came with the dehydrator.

Yesterday after it was all said and done I ended up with :

regular beef jerky with hotsauce (done in the dehydrator)
regular beef jerky (done in the dehydrator)
regular beef jerky (done in the smoker)
teriyaki moose jerky (done in the smoker) and
cracked pepper moose jerky (done in the smoker)

I've only sampled a few of the moose varieties so far but seems to have turned out pretty decent.

The only issue I ever have with making Jerky is that my house ends up smelling like a tee-pee for a few days. (even with the smoker outside)
I guess it could smell worse.

Mike.

TheClash
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
and i am the opposite..the flavor of ground jerky i enjoy..but the texture is just "wrong" to me...just don't like the mouth feel as much as good whole meat jerky

two_ker
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey duffy, i once had the caulking gun maker but found it was slow and messy, so instead after the ground beef is ready lay out a ball of meat between wax paper, flatten it to desired width with a rolling pin. Cut into strips with a butter knife. I found this easier, but thats just me! Anyway you do it, it turns out great

Grizzly Adams
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
The big plus of the extruded type is that it is a lot easier on the teeth for us old guys.:D
Grizz

bowchaser
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
where is CTR? in Calgary?

thanks.

Mad_Mikee
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
there is one in calgary and one in edmonton:

http://www .ctrca.com/index.php (remove spaces)

I've had good luck with them.

Mike.

BigRackLover
10-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Take it easy on the salt either way. Most US recipes are very salt heavy. You can usually cut it in half. Just check your smoker regularly and try pieces. My recipes said smoke for 12 hours ... so that's what I did. It was a very dry and crunchy...but I still ate it.

Supermag
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I bought that Bradley last year when they were on sale. I wish I would have bought the one with the digital control. They are way easier to control the heat on.

I tried something new the other day. I put some Elk stew meat in the smoker for half and hour before I threw the meat in with the veggies in the slow cooker. Left it cooking on low for 9 hours. Best stew ever!! I think it would be even better to make chili after.

Definately something to try!!:D

TheClash
10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
anyone ever use the butcher/sausage maker in raymond near the golf course?? opinions??