PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires in SUV

shekaree
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I am new in Alberta and I want to know if we REALLY need Snow tires here? I have Toyota Rav4 SUV with "M + S" (Mud and Snow) tires on them right now, will they be good enough for snow? and how much snow do we get in Alberta?

Versatile
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Snow depends on location. Lastyear up north I remember seeing pictures of quad burried yet down here in the south it there wasnt very many days where we had more than a few inches.

TreeGuy
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Shekaree, what area are you located in, and what kind of snow are you used to? It makes a difference. I've seen pics from my buddies that went across to Newfoundland for a snowmoblie trip. In one pic I asked him what that thin yellow stip was that they had their sled parked on and the answer was, "School bus!":lol:

I'm in Calgary and all seasons will do ya since a big dump is rare. What does happen here though is that the streets can get pretty icy due to the large amount of sunshine hours we annually get as well as chinook fluctuations that cause melt/freeze cycles throughout the day/night. As long as you become aware that most people DO NOT change out to snow tires here, coupled with some unbelievably bad driving habits you should be allright. Beware intersection because of this. I can't even begin to tell you how many times my truck has actually GAINED speed while braking for a 4-way stop due to people repeatly slaming on the 'binders' and glazing it. Leave tons of room and time and you'll be fine. Good luck and welcome to the best place in the world to live!:wave:

Tree

shekaree
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I am in Edmonton now and I have driven in snow a lot in Minneosta. I have seen black ice and slippery roads before but not seen Alberta snow yet so not sure how bad it gets here.

The problem is that the cost of new 4 snow tires with rims is equal to the cost of New Sako 85 that I want to buy. My wife always yell at me and ask me to get snow tires ASAP and I am falling for Sako 85 and the damn PAL is not here yet :mad3: and I am running out of time and pressure from my wife to get snow tires is building up.:mad2: I guess I have to sell my wolf now to get money for Sako. Any one needs a full body wolf??:cry:

TheClash
10-22-2007, 03:35 PM
if you only have "decent" tires on your SUV i would recommend snow tires for edmonton....if your tires are fairly new and a good all weather tire..you may be ok. i err on the side of caution though..cause i have eagle RSA's on my car and they are the worst snow tire ever made...i figure 4 snow tirs is much cheaper than an accident.

Huntnut
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
All I've ever used is all seasons and I'm able to get around GP where they NEVER plow the streets.

RancheroMan
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I moved to Edmonton from a small town in Alberta, and the idea of snow tires was strange to me. Bunch of guys I worked with all took there vehicles in to the same shop on the same day and asked if I wanted to get my winter tires put on at the same time. I was like, what are you talking about....in the winter all I do is toss the scraper in the truck.

I guess what I'm getting at is it all depends on what you are used to and your comfort level. The snow isn't the biggest problem, it's the ice. If you are not used to winter driving, get some tires that grip down to -35 and have an ice rating (it will be soft rubber, so don't put them on too soon.....bit of a thin line to walk, but you don't want to wear you winter tires down prematurely because of a +15 day of driving)

TreeGuy
10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Shekaree, lots of places sell used tires. You can probably pick up a set for cheap, or hit the wreckers (Pick-a-Part for one) to get some.

Tree

altaberg
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
once the snow hits you have to adjust your driving, I assume you know that because Minnesota does get snow.

I have lived through now 14 winters in Edmonton and Alberta and don't use snow tires. I'm driving a small SUV with allwheel drive like you. That 's nice and helps. It's not a guarantee for anything though, just like ABS brakes ain't either.

I have taken my wheels hunting and skiing in ugly conditions. Last November was snow and temperature wise pretty nasty and my little SUV got me throgh everything.

Once you are talking about snow getting ATVs buried, the tires on your SUv make no difference.

TheClash
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
it all depends on what tires you have on now. i use snow tires cause my summer tires are low profile performance based summer tires.....so they are deadly in the winter,. if i had all seasons as someone suggested, i would not worry about it at all.

Okotokian
10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Your Rav is front wheel drive with 4 wheel drive when the front slip (can lock all four at low speeds too). You have M&S all seasons on. That is the vehicle and tires I have. That combo will be fine for ANY ROADS in Alberta, trust me. even ok on trails and fields with some snow on them. Now if you are going off road and tackling a 8 inches or a foot of snow, you will want to upgrade. But then you should probably get a winch too LOL ;)