PDA

View Full Version : Little buddy heater not working well

buckman
11-09-2010, 06:23 AM
My mr buddy heater keeps going out, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. I think it has something to do with the pilot but not to sure. Thanks in advance.

noslack
11-09-2010, 06:56 AM
probably your thermocouple.....take it apart and put it just a tad closer to the flame.

this is also something you should consider....if you are using a bigger propane tank then the green ones, I would use a filter. Not everybody sells clean propane.

That could be the issue. Either the thermocouple or the lack of filters.

tyee33
11-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Thats because they are junk, cant give mine away, not worth the steel they are made from, went to a sunflower, !000 times better. Maybe mine was made on a Friday at 4PM, who knows but Im very unhappy with it

calgarygringo
11-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Buddy heaters work great.
I have had mine for about 5 years now and always keeps us warm.
Other than the thermocouple and filter issues as above also make sure that the area above the heater is pretty open. We had a problem a couple years ago when I mounted my Fish TV above it in the fishing shack. The pilot kept going out and we tried everything and couldn't get it to work. The only thing we ever changed was putting a shelf above it and thought of the low oxy shut off. Moved the shelf up a bit and voila, never a problem again. Good thing was it showed us the shut off works well. Bottom line is make sure you have good clearance otherwise it thinks it is oxygen starved. If you go to their website their is lots of info their as well.

tyee33
11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
No where near enough jam on Cold Lake when its 30 below, just found it not reliable enough, friends have the big buddy and love it. Bought mine from Cabelas 5 years ago with the long hose and carrying bag for $69 US, will sell the whole thing for $60 just to get it out of my garage. Used it maybe 5 times then just got fed up with it constantly going out and relighting it over and over again. Just doesn't have the jam required in my 4 man hut up here, when it works that is!! As I said,maybe a bad unit or maybe it just need some TLC , when its 30 below, my hands just freeze up if I have to keep playing with it. Everyone I know that I fish with use the sunflower on a 20 lb tank, no problems with it at all

walleyeca
11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
My mr buddy heater keeps going out, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. I think it has something to do with the pilot but not to sure. Thanks in advance.

Hi there How old i your heater? Can you return it? I have had that little heater for 5 years and its ok to minus 15 or so then after that I bring out the Mr BIG BUDDY!! with a fan!!!! that blows hot at you YUMMMMM!! but if you dont have your receipt, call the number on the box ask for a RA# and they will send you a new one if your POLITE! I hope this helps? take care

Gerry
11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
There is a known problem with them.
Even a small breeze will blow out the pilot light.
I built a wind block for the pilot. I'll try to put up a pic a little later.

CMMahy
11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I bought a buddy heater last season and never had an issue with the pilot blowing out, I think the new ones have the thermocouple and pilot flame positioned closer together.

On the older models, you can try moving the thermocouple farther into the pilot flame, or you can make a small guard out of sheet metal to shield it a bit better from the wind, either way should solve your problem.

They're a great heater when used in the smaller tents, mine kept me toasty warm down below -30 last winter in my one man flip over.

SwampShark
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
It looks like buckman has gotten what he needs out of this thread so I hope nobody minds me high jacking it...
I am in the market for a small heater to go with my new 4-man ice tent because I'm getting old and soft now. I was going to go get a little buddy because it seemed like a no-brainer for my needs.
What do you all recommend? Are there quality alternatives to the Little Buddy at a comparable size/price?

Gerry
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
A couple of pics of my homemade windbreak.
Just make sure you don't screw into anything under the base of the windbreak.

iliketrout
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Getting enough fresh air to it? Mine has a CO shutoff and if you don't have enough fresh air you'll start to produce CO and it will shut down.

I run a big tank with filter and have never had any issues with mine.

iliketrout
11-09-2010, 02:06 PM
A couple of pics of my homemade windbreak.
Just make sure you don't screw into anything under the base of the windbreak.

looks great!

Gerry
11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks
I tested it out with a fan turned on high about 6 feet in front of it.
It never went out, so it does work.

nicemustang
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
That is a good idea Gerry, although our doesn't seem to go out at all but I know others has. And ya, when it's really cold, bring the sunflower.

WayneChristie
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
It looks like buckman has gotten what he needs out of this thread so I hope nobody minds me high jacking it...
I am in the market for a small heater to go with my new 4-man ice tent because I'm getting old and soft now. I was going to go get a little buddy because it seemed like a no-brainer for my needs.
What do you all recommend? Are there quality alternatives to the Little Buddy at a comparable size/price?

My buddy is great in the 2 man tent, if you have anything bigger it wont be enough when its very cold out.

noslack
11-09-2010, 08:46 PM
That's true, what Wayne said.

The little buddy's are ok for a 2 man hut. I have a Clam 2000 and it's perfect for it. Well then I moved to Alberta from Ontario and realised that it gets a little colder up here.....

I would just go with the Big Buddy, that's the way to do it.

pikester
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
My friend bought the Little Buddy last season & has major issues with it going out. I do believe it has something to do with the thermocoupler or possibly an "off level" switch maybe? The reason I say that is all you have to do is bump it a little or even just bump whatever it is sitting on & it goes out.

iliketrout
11-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes the buddies have a shutoff valve if you bump it or tip it, and they are sensitive so for that reason I wouldn't think that there is something wrong with it.