PDA

View Full Version : Ice Season Plans ???

Walleyes
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Got to tell yah I seem to be getting pretty antsy for the upcoming ice season.. Its not really like me.. I mean I have always loved ice fishing and have done a pile of it but for some reason this year I seem to be more excited about it than ever.. Maybe its because I never got out much on the open water so I have to get my fill..

Just thought I would start a thread to see what are some plans for the up coming season..

Looks like I will be working around the Brooks area for most of the winter in close proximity to Lake Newell. I am thinking of dragging the Shack on the lake during Christmas and leaving it there for the winter and hitting it when I can.. I should be on mostly deeper wells for the winter so I should get a few hrs in it here and there.. Other than that probably hit Badger a couple days and I love Tilly Res as well..

So lets hear a few plans ....

whitetail Junkie
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Trout in Cypress Hills
walleye\perch at Grassy lake
pike at Tilley B lake
Pike\walleye\perch at Rattlesnake

:sHa_shakeshout: I hav'nt even gone deer huntin and i'm already thinkin ice fishin :sHa_shakeshout:

hal53
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Haven't fished in the south much...not a big fan of pike...but seriously considering getting to Slave Lake again for Walleye and Perch, really miss that...other than that not much in my area...

horsetrader
11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Going to but stationary shack at Pigeon again use the frabill at Lesser Slave, Pinehurst and Elinor.

H

Safety D
11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Wab Wab Wab = big big big !!!

sheepguide
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Kinda got back into ice fishing last year and am really excited for this season. Finally got a good tent, more gear and the wife got me a power auger this year so im gunna go hard.
Probably hit the following,

Phyllis
Burntstick
Birch
Mitchel
Strubel
Sylvan
Gull
Tay

SG

mudbug
11-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Getting gear together so I can go when I want whenever I want. Got two one man shelters a few weeks ago from another member and now I just need to get something to punch holes through the ice and a few other odds and ends. Haven't hit the ice for fishing for three or more years and even then it was only once or twice a year if I was lucky. Now I'm getting my own stuff so I can get out more :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
11-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I plan on landing more than one big fish this winter, and a whole lot of little ones :sHa_shakeshout:
Going to go for whites, know where just need to work on how, and try out my ice lures on a bunch of big perch as well. I cant let a 5 year old catch a bigger perch than me!

crown royal 17
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm a northern boy the farthest south was Pigeon for the Derby awhile back.
I fish Slave Lake
Utikuma
Calling
Wabasca
McMillan
Joker
Parker
Fawcett
and a couple of secret Perch lakes up here.
Have a fun and safe Ice fishing season this year everyone.

ORV
11-10-2010, 08:18 PM
i plan to fish more than last year...crappy ice fishing weather.
plan to .....have fun.... meet some more forum members......
have fun....catch a couple kokanees........have fun...

get a good perch fish fry for a change.

see how many drunks we can get into wayne christies new tent.

check out rumtans private pond...

meet jts1 & see his new shack.

hook up with old fishing buddies once again (deb & chris)

be able to finally make an a.o. get together

hope there is enough ice to fish on my week off...

and last but not least

hope everyone has a safe & successful season

& has fun.

one more.

get some kids hooked on ice fishing.

orv.

calgarygringo
11-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Well Orv that is a pretty big wish list for 1 winter.
If we get some ice soon maybe you can get a head start.....

butcherboy
11-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Definitely hitting Badger a few times. Gotta love the pike in there. Hopefully have enough ice to fish it before Xmas as never tried that early for pike. Also gonna try Sherburne for some perch. Tried a few years back and almost got blown of the ice from the wind. Have heard some good fishing stories of this lake. Keep my fingers crossed.

dragon
11-10-2010, 10:38 PM
This year I'm going to attempt to teach the kids about ice fishign and get them as excited as they are about fishing from the boat. Last year my oldest was 3 and enjoyed setting up the tent and fishing for about........ 4 minutes!

Ill be on pigeon

SNAPFisher
11-11-2010, 06:18 AM
First plan is to hit pigeon as early as possible and teach those whites a lesson. Other than that, a day of chasing big pike at Gull and another day of a pile of slimey burbs.

CeeZee
11-11-2010, 06:49 AM
My first plan is to build a new ice shack, gonna take on the challange a build one of those ice houses on wheels.
Then if its built i would like to do some distance for some real good pike action up north likely and stay a night or two on the ice.
With or without the shack, Gonna hit up some more rainbows, Capt Eyre Lake, never been but wanna try Blood Indian Reservoir, Maybe the Rumtan Derby, Not sure where else as im not familiar enuf with the lakes yet. Gonna Keep on them kids to get them into the hardwater fishin! 4 and 3 yrs old.

Geezle
11-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Being as this will be my first hardwater fishing season in my own neighborhood (last year I spent a good amount of time working in Onion Lake) I don't really have much of a plan yet.

That being said, I definitely have to get out to Wab a few times this year, and I imagine I'll be fishing the crap out of a couple of the potholes in the area.

Kim473
11-11-2010, 07:48 AM
I got a spot on Isle that I get 10 to 12" perch. And if there not bitting go to Wab. Gonna hit N. Buck and get me a 14 incher. Pigeon for some eyes and whites.

Gust
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
someone posted this awhile back,, very funny
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_QojSAntAo
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNnb6mUo0zQ&feature=related
part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsXKlOWtW8s&feature=related

Rumtan
11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
This year I`m hoping to get up to some more northern lakes, ones we havent tried yet. The thrill in conquering a new horizon has always appealed to me. Oh yes and take Orv out a few more times than last year.......great fun and friendly competition.

Cal
11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Stop it guys, the ruts just kicked in and I'm losing my focus just reading this thread. I didnt get out at all last winter so this year I'll have to make up for it. Dont realy care where as long as I get out, safe to bet I'll hit Slave Though.

Garry B
11-12-2010, 12:22 PM
This will be my first ice season after a long break. My story is like this. I got married to someone who never fished before, we had a child, then moved (since I have a disability my brothers helped me so moving away from where they lived meant no more fishing). Then we had a second child, and life just changed. Before I knew it I went from an avid fisher to someone who didn't expect to do it again. But things changed for the better.

Our kids grew and are now both old enough to be able to get out fishing and a couple years back my wife suggested we take the kids fishing. So we have visited little spots around Edmonton during the summer and had a great time. Now this winter we want to try ice fishing. I am hoping to get down to Calgary once where one brother lives in December and then up to Grande Prairie in late winter where my other brother lives. If we're lucky they might make it up here for a trip around Edmonton. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the kids will do in winter and getting back out myself.

For the past few months I've been inventing improved adapted fishing equipment for myself. I have old stuff from years ago but knew I could improve on it. Designing parts and figuring how to fit them together has been a challenge. I've gone through lots of revisions using SketchUp as design software. When I was finally satisfied I drew the parts with software from eMachineShop.com and had them cut out the parts. They are going together nicely and without actually having finished yet I think they will work well. It's been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot in the process.

So to make a long story short I am finally looking forward to winter again!

horsetrader
11-12-2010, 01:07 PM
This will be my first ice season after a long break. My story is like this. I got married to someone who never fished before, we had a child, then moved (since I have a disability my brothers helped me so moving away from where they lived meant no more fishing). Then we had a second child, and life just changed. Before I knew it I went from an avid fisher to someone who didn't expect to do it again. But things changed for the better.

Our kids grew and are now both old enough to be able to get out fishing and a couple years back my wife suggested we take the kids fishing. So we have visited little spots around Edmonton during the summer and had a great time. Now this winter we want to try ice fishing. I am hoping to get down to Calgary once where one brother lives in December and then up to Grande Prairie in late winter where my other brother lives. If we're lucky they might make it up here for a trip around Edmonton. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the kids will do in winter and getting back out myself.

For the past few months I've been inventing improved adapted fishing equipment for myself. I have old stuff from years ago but knew I could improve on it. Designing parts and figuring how to fit them together has been a challenge. I've gone through lots of revisions using SketchUp as design software. When I was finally satisfied I drew the parts with software from eMachineShop.com and had them cut out the parts. They are going together nicely and without actually having finished yet I think they will work well. It's been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot in the process.

Never give up," A true fisherman never dies he just smells that way"
Good luck on the upcoming season

H

Garry B
11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Never give up," A true fisherman never dies he just smells that way"
Good luck on the upcoming season

H

Thanks. There's a lot of truth in that saying, 'Where there's a will, there's a way.' And I'm also very lucky to have a great family to help me with these things. Without them it wouldn't happen.

Happy fishing to you as well this winter!

fluxcore
11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
im going to catch a 5lb brookie this year (I hope) thats the goal. other then that, just a safe season on the ice

Geezle
11-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Glad to see you're going to be able to get back into it this season. PM sent :)