PDA

View Full Version : ICE ICE Baby

maclennanchris
11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Well i went and picked up my rod....quantum. Got some suffix line 8 lbs. Now i gotta find me and auger. Thinking hand auger, light and cheep....any that are better than the others. I dont want a power auger keep that in mind.

nicemustang
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Check bargain finder, kijiji or the for sale section on the forum. 6" hand auger new is about $60 or so i think. Likely 6" is all you need for the trout fishing you intended on doing. I have a swede bore from canadian tire. Cuts pretty good, just take care of your blades.

Alberta Bigbore
11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Well i went and picked up my rod....quantum. Got some suffix line 8 lbs. Now i gotta find me and auger. Thinking hand auger, light and cheep....any that are better than the others. I dont want a power auger keep that in mind.

the Finbore III 8 inch cuts ice like it was fluffy whip. Even if you own a power auger... its a good idea to have a hand auger as a backup.

JSMPP
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
i saw a few on kijiji this morning, i think both were around 25 bucks, even if the blades on them are crap i think new ones only run you about 20 bucks.

WayneChristie
11-11-2010, 05:03 PM
new blades closer to 30. but you can pick up a good little sharpener at TFH and keep them sharp a long time. I bring it along when Im doing the hand auger thing and touch it up when I get to the lake.

nicemustang
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Or a sharpening at a carbide metal sharpener for $10 per set.

maclennanchris
11-11-2010, 08:18 PM
im a carpenter by trade so keeping things sharp is what i do

WayneChristie
11-12-2010, 07:33 AM
im a carpenter by trade so keeping things sharp is what i do

The cutting angle has to be exact or it will cut like an old shovel. the auger blade sharpener has a carbide cutter on one side and a guide on the other to get the perfect angle every time. was only around 8 bucks or so, well worth the money.

Geezle
11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
As the others have said, you can find a used hand auger pretty cheap. Last year I got a 6" one for $5 and spent another $22 on a set of new blades for it (that I still haven't put on :rolleyes:) and just last weekend I picked up a second one for $25 that is still practically brand new :)

After that it's just a matter of maintaining the blades...and those blades are really what it's all about!

Reeves1
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
the finbore iii 8 inch cuts ice like it was fluffy whip. Even if you own a power auger... Its a good idea to have a hand auger as a backup.

x2 !