PDA

View Full Version : Hunters Wounded

Ice Fishing Maniac
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Anybody hear about the 2 hunters on a quad being mistaken for a moose and shot by another hunter. I just read this on another forum site.

Both hunters will recover after the surgery (I hope), and I hope the shooter gets prosecuted, looses his hunting rights/owning a gun for life, and gets his $$$ sued off!

Glass with your binos, identify what you see (Moose, human with orange hat on - hard to tell for some I guess) Thats what binos are for. If you can afford to go hunting, you can afford a cheap pair of BINOS. You do not need expensive ones (but the expensive ones do have advantages)

Somebody's post said the shooter was probably "SCOPING" and accidently pulled the trigger. I say WHAT????? Scoping:mad3: :mad2:

Anyhow, done venting. Everyone be SAFE out hunting in our wonderful province. We dont need more per say "AMMO" for the Anti-hunting groups out there.

Rackmastr
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
That sucks to hear....hope they do okay and get better soon.

I hate the idea of someone 'scoping' me to check and see what I am. It blows my mind that some people dont identify their target before pointing a gun at it....

albertabucks
10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
yes it was a couple weeks ago, a guy and fiance where shot, from what i heard it just about took her arm right off,30-06 was the gun. it was out in the virgina hills area, between fox creek and whitecourt. two young guys where responsible. i think the guy who was on the quad just got back from serving in afganhistan. this what I was told anyways, hopefully the facts are straight.

TheClash
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
was the couple packing out a moose?? antlers on their pack up by their head?? or was it just real real stupidity??

Koshel
10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
A longtime friend and I just arrived at a pub on a Saturday night when his cellphone rang. His Dad informed him that his sister had been injured in a hunting accident that day! Ironically, my friend and I were in a discussion moments before about how cool it was for his sister to be on her first-ever hunting excursion to bag a WT doe out past Whitecourt with her fiancee. Anyhow, we rushed to the hospital in Edmonton where she was taken to, she had surgery on her arm which the bullet entered and had a rod put in.
Over the next few days/weeks, these are some things his sister told him (and he told me):

-they were quadding (sober), with headlights on, wearing orange toques when they were shot
-bullet went through his arm, shattered the bone (humerus?) into numerous fragments, sized exit wound, metal rod put in, skin grafted over exit hole
-same bullet then entered her arm, missed the bone, but apparently the impact caused the bone to snap, rod put in.
-both are doing fine now, but have a challenging time ahead of them.

Moments before they heard the gunshot, they briefly saw two people on foot. This was a man and his 18-yr-old son (son was out first-time hunting, he was the one who shot them). After being shot, the girl and her partner quadded towards where they had moments before seen the man and his son, to get help from them. After a brief search they found the pair and, to their disbelief, the father & son did not want to help them. My friends sister cried and pleaded, saying you have to help us, look at us, etc., and they eventually relented. According to her, they were trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. The father & son had hidden their guns seconds before. Apparently neither of them had been drinking alcohol either.

There are a few other pertinent details that occured after this, which I left out, since according to my friend, his sister and her fiancee have pressed charges and they want some info to be only used in the courtroom (I am not sure of the legal process myself and how this applies, but the above material is what he said was okay to post).

Hope this answers some questions...

catnthehat
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
And these stories quite often describe the person who shot someone/got lost and died- as "experienced woodsmen"
Remember a few years bck the fella up in Grand Prarie ( peace river?) that shot his relatives abit 100 yards away " in brush" that was
"a very experienced woodsman"??!!:mad:
How in the name of God does an experienced woodsman mistake two people on a quad wearing red for an animal.
In brush from 100 yards away?:huh: Something wrong here, because i have a hard time making determining my TRUCK in brush 100 yards away!!

and these two latest had hidden there rifles and did not
want to help!!??:mad3:
Jjail time is TOO GOOD!!
Cat

Bushrat
10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Thats incredible...........

TheClash
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
A longtime friend and I just arrived at a pub on a Saturday night when his cellphone rang. His Dad informed him that his sister had been injured in a hunting accident that day! Ironically, my friend and I were in a discussion moments before about how cool it was for his sister to be on her first-ever hunting excursion to bag a WT doe out past Whitecourt with her fiancee. Anyhow, we rushed to the hospital in Edmonton where she was taken to, she had surgery on her arm which the bullet entered and had a rod put in.
Over the next few days/weeks, these are some things his sister told him (and he told me):

-they were quadding (sober), with headlights on, wearing orange toques when they were shot
-bullet went through his arm, shattered the bone (humerus?) into numerous fragments, sized exit wound, metal rod put in, skin grafted over exit hole
-same bullet then entered her arm, missed the bone, but apparently the impact caused the bone to snap, rod put in.
-both are doing fine now, but have a challenging time ahead of them.

Moments before they heard the gunshot, they briefly saw two people on foot. This was a man and his 18-yr-old son (son was out first-time hunting, he was the one who shot them). After being shot, the girl and her partner quadded towards where they had moments before seen the man and his son, to get help from them. After a brief search they found the pair and, to their disbelief, the father & son did not want to help them. My friends sister cried and pleaded, saying you have to help us, look at us, etc., and they eventually relented. According to her, they were trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. The father & son had hidden their guns seconds before. Apparently neither of them had been drinking alcohol either.

There are a few other pertinent details that occured after this, which I left out, since according to my friend, his sister and her fiancee have pressed charges and they want some info to be only used in the courtroom (I am not sure of the legal process myself and how this applies, but the above material is what he said was okay to post).

Hope this answers some questions...

a sad state of affairs all around. i hope the injured parties get well and recover soon. and i hope the offending parties are dealt with in a fair, just and strong manner.

mud slug
10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't know about everyone else but my dad always tought me NEVER point my riffle at something untell i'm 100% sure what it is can't be sure don't shot

i hope everone is going to be okay and have a easy recovery

and i also hope that these a@#holes responsable lose there hunting rights guns and every thing else that was with them also a few years behind bars would maby smarten them up

TheClash
10-23-2007, 06:28 PM
mud slug i was always taught the same way. never use your gun as a spotting scope and never point your gun at anything you are not willing to shoot/kill. this applied to every gun i had starting with a small bbgun when i was 8

chuck0039
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
the same here mud slug. My neighbour is who taught me to hunt and the ways of the bush, The first thing he told me to buy before we went hunting (after the rifle and hunting licsense) was a good set of bino's and to always where them around my neck.

Last year we where watching down a cutline that a guy on a quad was coming up, he got of his quad a ways down and scoped us while we where watching him through our bino's. We took after him but lost him and looking back it's probably a good thing cause i would have wrapped his rifle around a tree.

Hoping for a speedy recover for the two hunters and quick justice for the two hunters lacking better judgment.

VerySavage
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
It is fortunate that this incident had survivors not casualties, we all know it could have been much worse.

So who were the perpitrators of this near homicide? Were they drunk or otherwise impaired? Were they underaged, if not then why have they not been identified yet in the media? Or maybe they have been identified & I just missed that part... I read Koshel's comments, if this is indeed the factual account then the questions remain as the identity of the adults involved since even the young man was an adult. I can only hope that the punishment given is the maximum available under the law.
--Ken

willy
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I think it crazy that a person could mistake 2 people on a quad for moose. I hear quite often how people buy a $1000 riflescope and they dont need a set of binos it ****es me off cause you know wat there using to spot with.

mud slug
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
it must be a new type of moose one that comes in real tree camo and four wheeldrive:mad3: my dad would have kick my a@@ all over the bush if i would have scoped out something instead of useing the binos what are people teaching their kids these days makes a guy feel unsafe to go outdoors and do something we were all taught to love and respect:cry:

JohninAB
10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Be sure of your target and beyond. What ever happened to that key piece of firearm safety?

Relieved there were no casualities and wish those hurt a speedy and full recovery.

For the two who committed this act and then did not have the fortitude to immediately offer assistance and but instead try to flee the scene, I hope you get the full extent of the law applied to you. To do something so wrong and act they way you did is simply unacceptable!

Dick284
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Lets see: Head lights on =tail light on
Orange hats
and still this?
WOW.
Kinda gives a feller that warm fuzzy feelin' dont it.
There is more to this I suspect, but somehow I doubt we will here the whole story.

Loggrlee
10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
They were not even going to help them after nearly killing them?!!???!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! That does give a guy a "warm fuzzy feeling".

altaberg
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope there will be criminal charges laid if there haven't been.

I cannot believe some things I'm hearing.

From the times my uncle took me hunting as a kid through the army there were things drilled into my head about where to point a gun, how to treat a gun and how to be sure of your target.

"Scoping"???:mad3:
Where do some of these guys come from??:mad2:

duffy4
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks Koshel for some facts to this story. Some of you others are making all kinds of assumtions like the press so often does when reporting a "hunter insident"

Using a scope and the gun going off?? Is there any evidence of this or is it just a hair brain assumtion? Mistaken for a Moose??? Whose theory is this and where did it come from???

I hope the facts come out and anyone guilty gets appropriate punishment. I would not be a party to any lynch mob that seems to be forming here.

Robin in Rocky

Koshel
10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
As well, I have been friends with the family since I was a youngster and they are a honest, down to earth bunch. Neither my friend or his sister would bull**** any of this.

I didn't think it was appropriate to mention the names of the accused. As for the 'media', my friend told me that the 'media' has been by twice this week questioning them. Come to think of it I haven't noticed it in the paper either, but I only read it every now and again.

Down the road you will be informed of some other interesting facts regarding the incident...

stubblejumper
10-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I wish the injured parties well and hope they have a full recovery.As for the people responsible,I certainly hope that they are held responsible for their actions,especially if they did indeed try to leave without helping the people that they shot.

TreeGuy
10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Down the road you will be informed of some other interesting facts regarding the incident...

I really hope those 'interesting facts' do not mean that the shooter was a 12 year old, which this story really smells of.:(

Tree

gunslinger
10-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Thats exactly what im leaning towards too treeguy, boy i hope they recover and again another hunting accidetn that never should of happened.

Nationwide
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I really hope those 'interesting facts' do not mean that the shooter was a 12 year old, which this story really smells of.:(

Treehumm !!

mud slug
10-25-2007, 04:35 PM
check out the video bullshoter posted under the most important tip ever it will really get you thinking about your safety outdoors even with your close friends

Piker
10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Many years ago in northern SASK. A FRIEND OF MINE AND HIS PARTNER BOTH game wardens while travelling in an old style bombardier which at the time was bright yellow were shot and killed inside the machine. One of the perps was a doctor and the other was a lawyer. I cant remember the penalty but they last their hunting priveleges for life and not much else. As I have always said altho quietly that there should be a competency for for all hunters. What guidelines to follow I dont really know but there are a lot of people out there that should not be.

Copidosoma
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
I believ eI was the one who posted the comment in another forum about these guys "probably scoping them and accidentally pulling the trigger"

For the record: I have no way of knowing that this is what happened. It was complete conjecture on my part. Please don't assume that this is what happened because I posted it.

Having said that...

If the rest of the information posted here is true, I'm ****ed.
"the father & son did not want to help them." What the heck is up with this!?!? These two deserve some jail time I think. I certainly hope the jury of their peers is made up of a few hunters (real ones, not thike these idiots).

I've heard a number of times how it is dangerous to carry antlers strapped to a pack as you are walking out. This has always made me a bit depressed that some people out there are so friggin stupid that they will risk unleashing a whole lot of deadly force on something they cann't identify 100% as the animal they intend to kill.

I know hunters ed is a joke. I just went through it. I don't really know what the solution is. I just hope that this guy and his son never pick up a weapon again.

Kelly & Beth
10-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Let alone the orange caps, are quads quite as a mouse?? They should of been able to hear the quad long before the incident.
Beth

honda450
10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I suspect there will be a few twists and turns before the whole story comes out. But the hard fact is they refused or hesitated in helping them out. For Gods sake what is this so called man teaching his son.

bonedogg
10-26-2007, 10:21 AM
getting scoped by hunters on cutlines is a yearly occurance here, the last cowboy, and I mean cowboy (Big ol' white cowboy hat) scoped me from 200 yards. I have no problem wrecking a morning hunt to give them my two bits, and that verbage usually ends with them getting their gun stuck up there %$#!!!!!

Sharpedge
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Another avoidable tragedy and I will reserve further comment except to say that the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council emphasizes that the shooter identifies the target as NOT BEING A HUMAN and not, for example: "Is it a deer?"

And too many folks are out there who have not a clue about what they are about to be doing. I've met them outfitted with everything available: except for being fully equipped between the ears!

Hunter education is always ongoing and not merely a mandatory hurdle that only has to be quickly vaulted in pursuit of a licence to perhaps discharge long range weapons in the vicinity of others!

And in consideration of the oft criminal activity of pointing a firearm at another person, such as in the act of "scoping": Maybe telescopic sights should be banned for big game hunting altogether? They are not absolutely necessary.

Sharpedge

sheephunter
10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
I once had a guy get quite argumentative and aggressive when I confronted him about scoping. When I pulled out my cell phone and started dialing 911 he got a whole lot quieter. I hope he learned a lesson and the stupid thing was, he had a pair of binos around his neck. I make a issue about safety with anyone that scopes me and if they get the least bit argumenative, I offer to call the RCMP to let them sort it out.

fishead
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Personally not a hunter nor against it, but the people responsible should not be allowed to pickup firearms again. You should know what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger, don't ya think ?

.30cal
10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Why is it these incompetent knobs never seem to miss when they do something stupid. Just one of those weird twists I guess. I knew of a guy years ago in BC, who was shot at while paddling a red canoe across a small lake, (don't remember the result.) and shooter tried to claim he thought it was a moose. Another time a Biologist I knew was working a game check when a "hunter" brought through a "cow elk", field dressed and all. When asked, this dude gave a heroic description of the hunt and the shot but had no explanation as to why a cow elk would be wearing horseshoes.

stubblejumper
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I make a issue about safety with anyone that scopes me and if they get the least bit argumenative, I offer to call the RCMP to let them sort it out.

That is understandable since pointing a firearm at a person is a criminal offense.

sheephunter
10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Ya, once you point that out they tend to lose the attitude...and hopefully learn not to do it again.

Hunterclark
10-26-2007, 06:39 PM
getting scoped by hunters on cutlines is a yearly occurance here, the last cowboy, and I mean cowboy (Big ol' white cowboy hat) scoped me from 200 yards. I have no problem wrecking a morning hunt to give them my two bits, and that verbage usually ends with them getting their gun stuck up there %$#!!!!!
Sad thing what happen but "bonebogg two wrongs DONT make a right "not that i have ever done that but you would not get anywhere near my gun .:cool: