PDA

View Full Version : Question about reels: Anti Reverse

Need More Fish'n time
11-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm just wondering about "anti reverse" on reels. When would you need to go in reverse? How do people use the reverse & instant anti-reverse to advantage? I looked this up on google and didn't get very far.

Thanks!

Albertafisher
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
That is a great question, but I can't answer it! All I know is that reverse is used a lot for icefishing, to get a light lure down. But personally I have never used reverse for anything...

FishingFrenzy
11-12-2010, 07:03 PM
If your a normal every day fisherman i highly doubt you would use reverse... i never have. Never seen the point of it.

MAYBE if your using line thats too heavy for a lure your trying to troll??

horsetrader
11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm just wondering about "anti reverse" on reels. When would you need to go in reverse? How do people use the reverse & instant anti-reverse to advantage? I looked this up on google and didn't get very far.

Thanks!

When fishing for large fish some people will use the reverse in combination with the drag on the reel to control the runs of the fish. Not something I have tried not enough hand eye coordination :) Perhaps there are other reasons for it to.

H

Commander B
11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I think it refers to the handle of the reel stoping at the exact position it is in when you stop reeling. (to aid in instantly setting the hook) Where as some reels that will rotate back to a 12 oclock position before stoping. Quite often this is found on open face reels with the trigger cast. All reels have the small tab under the reel that allows for reverse reeling, handy for letting out a large hook on a long amount of line if you dont want it to hit bottom.

npauls
11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
The anti reverse thing on reels is made so that when you stop reeling your reel handle wont spin backwards if you set the hook and don't have the handle set in the proper spot like older reels have. Makes the reel alot nicer to fish with.

Nate

canned Tuna
11-13-2010, 06:13 AM
I assume you mean the term, "infinite anti reverse". Having the infinite anti reverse on allows for solid hook sets without any backlash in the handle. Lots of walleye fisherman like to backreel when there fighting a fish.

Winch101
11-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Basically spinning reels would not work with out anti reverse .

If you are a vertical jigging walleye fisherman , you can only imagine

what that line would be doing if the reel only free spooled ...

And yes back reeling for big fish rather than the front drag

on little pressure is a lot better to combat line twist.Also for

temporary storage in your rod locker , hooking the jig on the eye frame

and locking the reel with the anti is the only way .

Braun
11-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I have used the reverse on my reel when i am bottom bouncing in a river, cast upstream and reel in slowly to keep line tight as it comes down the river and past me and then i reel line out and lift my rod tip over my head to get extra line then lower the tip as it continues to bounce down the river. Took a while to develop a technique that keeps a tight line and doesnt interfere with the hooks. I did this because i knew there was a hole just a little bit father down the river and i couldn't reach it . got me an extra 20 feet down the river. caught quite a few fish with that extra 20 feet.

fish-man
11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
When fishing for large fish some people will use the reverse in combination with the drag on the reel to control the runs of the fish. Not something I have tried not enough hand eye coordination :) Perhaps there are other reasons for it to.

H

Back in high school I used to do this when I was bored fishing the north saskatchewan. That or crank my drag right down, and just open the bail if the fish as fighting hard. made for a lot of excitement, but I don't have the guts to do it anymore.

horsetrader
11-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Back in high school I used to do this when I was bored fishing the north saskatchewan. That or crank my drag right down, and just open the bail if the fish as fighting hard. made for a lot of excitement, but I don't have the guts to do it anymore.

It's terrible when we get older and want things to be easy :)
But you do deserve it LOL

Cheers H