PDA

View Full Version : Bringin a US generator home..

Doc Holiday
10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Anyone bring a generator across the line latley? Does one pay duty, or any resriction on size? Appreciate any info.

Rackmastr
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Duk Dog grabbed a Honda down there....

If its made outside the US or Mexico, there will be a 2.5% duty. You'll also pay the GST on the unit.

No restriction on size. If its for personal use then you're good to go. If its for a business then you need to follow commercial procedures....

Boss442
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I seen at Costco (Lethbridge) a Champion 3000-3500 for around $360 if I remember correctly. Not sure if there a good unit or not? If anyone has info?

crestliner192
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
My inlaws brought back 2 honda EU2000's in May after they were down in the states for two weeks and they only paid the gst and no duty, they also claimed other items, but it worked out well since one of the generators was for me and alot cheaper then i would of got it here for.

as far as size, if i can fit in you vehicle it should be allowed across the border, i beleive it all comes down to how much $$$$ you have in U.S items purchased

Doc Holiday
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Thx fellas... goin to retrieve my new quad on Thursday... spendin 2 days and nights in Great Falls, with the Wifee and my son, and daughter, cant wait to go shopping she's gonna be a road trip. ( SHOPPING FER ME!!! ) Really lookin forward to this trip,my new bike, some family time, I should be out scoutin more...... ya yer right....new quad..... maybe a new Gen too??.... not to mention hunting gear etc.. etc...no sleepy here!!

Duk Dog
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Picked up my Honda 2000 earlier this year and even after exchange, GST and duty I still saved $500 to $600 from buying up in Canada. The Honda store is just off the hwy in the north end of Great Falls - very easy to find. I just called them in advance and had them set one aside for me to come and pick up. Great little investment, got lots of use out of it. If you go on the Honda USA site you'll be able to find their address and number.