PDA

View Full Version : New Salmon boat

Jamie
11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey guys.
What do you think of this boat?
24 Feet, enclosed head, HUGE MONSTER fishing deck all the bells and whistles. I think its a great start to the fleet
It's called a Skagit Orca.
It will be in BC waiting for me on Friday.
Engine/Hull has 300 hours on it and it will be repowered. I was thinking 300 Yahmaha along with a new kicker

Jamie

sheephunter
11-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Pretty sweet looking ride Jamie. Bet you are getting excited!

acedave3
11-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Beautiful rig!!!......that will get the job done.

blackpheasant
11-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Awesome boat Jamie !!!

nicemustang
11-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Underpowered? Maybe...but try it out first. That will cost another pretty penny to repower.

You say fleet...so maybe your moving to the coast and starting a charter? What's the plan Jamie?

PS: I really need to head to the coast one of these years. On my bucket list.

Jamie
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Underpowered? Maybe...but try it out first. That will cost another pretty penny to repower.

You say fleet...so maybe your moving to the coast and starting a charter? What's the plan Jamie?

PS: I really need to head to the coast one of these years. On my bucket list.

Nice. YES you have to get out and try Salmon fishing.
As for it being underpowered, I believe the bare minimum should be 250, but the 300 is being recommended by a few sources. This is big water we are dealing with, hence the big and comfy and most importantly SAFE boat. This thing will be the most comfortable ride on the water. When I was doing my research I looked to Eagle Point resort for guidance. And this is exactly what they run (Minus the Head).
As for what we are doing, I am hesitant to bring it up due to Advertising guidelines on the site (Justifiable I might add) But in short, I am in the middle of purchasing a lodge on a Island outside of Prince Rupert.
This is just the first of 3 identical boats, all powered the same, all geared the same. I hope to finalise this deal today or tomorrow. I will be heading out to Comox to actually look at this boat on Monday. AT that time I will also be purchasing a Run about boat to service the lodge. Once they have it shipped to Rupert, I will leave Calgary to go do a final inspection on the lodge and get the ball rolling on our $100,000 renovation job.
One thing I can promise you is that my company will be extensively involved with A/O forum and with the magazine it self. Along with 2 of the best Hunting organisations in our province (AHEIA and SCI North)
Take care and feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Thanks
Jamie

nicemustang
11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Well best of luck. And when you're setup, let us know how to get on with you (I assume you will support the site).

crazyfish
11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
sounds great , best of luck ! the other option is 2 - 150's, that way if one conks out you still have enough power to get back, if theres room for it on the motor mount area! My .02$ !

steve
11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice boat Jamie, good luck with everything.

dss44
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
That'll be a great boat to fish out of...if there is one thing about Rupert and WCVI that you need its that cuddy, will keep the guests nice and warm and dry...makes their experience a million times better! :)

If there is one thing I love doing and do often, it's researching boats for the west coast, so let me know if you want any help with it Jamie...I like to think I'm decently well versed on what makes a great salmon fishing boat.

300 should be fine...will move along pretty well, and can even sell that Honda for a decent buck considering it only has 300hours.

Dakota369
11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
sounds great , best of luck ! the other option is 2 - 150's, that way if one conks out you still have enough power to get back, if theres room for it on the motor mount area! My .02$ !

X2
I have a friend that runs 2X 30h Yamaha's on his boat and it has saved him a few times when one has died, and the other has got him home....... safety 1st!!!

spopadyn
11-16-2010, 02:42 PM
X2
I have a friend that runs 2X 30h Yamaha's on his boat and it has saved him a few times when one has died, and the other has got him home....... safety 1st!!!

I have to agree with Dakota - If you are repowering, think of two 150's instead. I must tell you - Eagle Point I believe is running with only a single 225 and a kicker and they have lots of power. If you are repowering, I would look into twins.

Jamie
11-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I have to agree with Dakota - If you are repowering, think of two 150's instead. I must tell you - Eagle Point I believe is running with only a single 225 and a kicker and they have lots of power. If you are repowering, I would look into twins.

Spopadyn.

Eagle Pointe ran with the 225's and a kicker for a bit, but over the last few years, they have gone fleet wide with the 250's + Kicker.
I do appreciate the idea of twin 150's but then you have other issues. With Twins, you cant run a kicker and that means you put all your trolling hours on your big motors, speed control becomes a issue as well as wear and tear on the hydraulics.
As I have been told, Eagle Pointe will be switching to these 300's within the next year or 2.
Advantages of the 300's
Different gear ration
lower RPM's allowing for fuel savings (Approx 400 RPM at cruise)
Lighter weight (Approx 50 pounds compared to the 250)
And a host of other things.

I plan on having all the boats fish the same general locations, so safety is never compromised. As a added bonus, my Runabout Boat will have the ability to head out to the fishing grounds in case a extra boat is needed.

It's tough to make these calls but I am confident that people I am speaking with are giving me the best possible advice in this regard. Though it's always nice to hear another opinion.

Take care
Jamie

Walleyes
11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Love those Skagit Orcas they are a dandy boat.. Hope to be getting into one here in the next few years myself.. You can't go wrong with one of them providing its in good shape.. Just a thought but are you going to have it surveyed ??? A guy has to be careful buying glass you never know.. Some guys are pretty sneaky when it comes to hiding cracks..

Best of luck to you on the lodge thing Jamie sounds like a dream coming true.. Make sure and keep us posted on it...

Jamie
12-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Just bought the second boat for the fleet

http://www.pcboats.com/listing/gallery.jsp?entityid=116993711&mid=2270&ceid=341090&galleryBack=%2Fboat-details%2FSkagit-Orca---24%2527-Xlc%2F116993711%3Fno%3D0%26ro%3D6%26bdi%3Dtrue%26r %3D116993711%26uom%3D126%26Ntk%3DboatsEN%26sm%3D3% 26duom%3D126%26wuom%3D126%26currencyid%3D100%26luo m%3D126%26sfm%3Dfalse%26man%3Dskagit%26psdistance% 3D1%26slim%3Dquick%26entityid%3D116993711%26bn%3Dh omepage%26rs%3Dboats.com&pic=11

This gives me 2 Skagit orcas and I am currently searching for the 3rd one.
2 weeks ago had me back up in Rupert looking at the renos that needed to be done at the lodge and meeting with Bankers. A very fruitfull trip.
Still need a name for this place and am about to start searching for staff.
It's going to be a very busy new year. Basic plan has us becoming sponsors of A/O.

Jamie

gramps73
12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Jamie you got some great taste on boats, fished in one of those boats a few years back...Man you are going to be living the dream..
g73

Fishingguy001
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
PM sent

whitewolf
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
ya i like the dual motors as living in florida we always had dual motors..two 300 hp motors on a 28 foot open fisherman...ran both motors going to the spot and then alternated every half hour or hour while trolling...worked great and no worries of been broke down off shore 20 or 30 miles out