PDA

View Full Version : Getting set up

maclennanchris
11-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Well im starting to pick away at my list of needs for this ice season, thanks for the help you guys on my earlier post. Got my rod, picked up my auger Swede Bore 8", grabed my self a drill attachment, gonna see how that works...few jigs too. Hopefully get my tent for Christmas. Was looking at a couple of them in WSS the other day.2 man is all i need, i liked the clam 2000 Wanna keep it under $300. Was also looking at some colman heaters at Crappy tire. Oh yeah i grabbed some of those emegancy ice picks case you bust through the ice....How think should the ice be before i step out on it ....im about 280lbs

nicemustang
11-16-2010, 09:26 AM
That's personal preference. 3" of ice is LOTS for me, and we'll (2 of us) set up the tent and fish together on that. 4-5" for quadding, 10"-12" for driving. All depends on quality of ice. This snow will act as a insulator and not freeze up as fast. Always test the early ice as you go. The middle might only be half of what the edge was. Be careful. Clear ice is the strongest, white air bubble/snow/slush ice is the weakest.

AK47
11-16-2010, 09:27 AM
.How thick should the ice be before i step out on it ....im about 280lbs

well I usually go on 3-4 inches but I am only 180lbs... so for you I would add 2 more to be on the safe side. 6 inches should be safe.

Cal
11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I once went to spring lake and saw a fairly well used road going out on to the lake so I drove out in my 1 ton WELDING TRUCK which has at least 2500 extra pounds of welder, deck, and tools on it. Once out there I punched a few holes and realized the ice was only about 5" thick! About 100 yards away was a tent surounded by empty Smirnoff bottles. The guy from the tent eventualy emerged and came over to ask if he could borrow a wrench to change the propain bottles on his heater. Beleive me if I had met the guy who had made the road I would never have driven out there without carefully checking the ice first, to call this guy a grade A moron would be a very kind compliment. After using my wrench he never brought it back but simply fired it out the door of his tent into a snowbank. We were the only two people on the lake and I didnt want a confrontation getting out of hand, I thought breifly of helping myself to a few of his fish but decided that was a maggot move and I had my limit anyways so I simply collected my wrench and left.

The moral of this lengthly story? Always check the ice even if you see tracks, its probably safe but what apears to be a well travled trail could also be the handywork of some monumentaly stupid person going out there a couple days in a row.

mooseknuckle
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
So last season was my first year getting back into ice fishing in like 15 years and I had such a good time I now realize how some can make the mistake concerning ice thickness as now this year I've got all this new gear and equipment I'm really chomping at the bit. I guess what I'm saying is I can see how some one can get impatient. I think to play it safe I'm going to try chikakoo near the parking lot where I had some succes last year and it was around 3-4 FOW not saying falling through at that depth wouldn't kill ya but I think your odds would be a whole lot better if my boots were touching bottom. That being said anything less then 3-4" I would happily hop back in the truck and go home and wait.....

maclennanchris
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
this is the shelter i was thinking of getting, anyone have any comments or experiances with this shelter.....
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/ice-fishing/shelters-sleds/clam-2000/prod289273.html

beetlebailey
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Bought a Costco 6 man, lots of room and easy to setup and take down. $315 shipped to your door.

hockey1099
11-16-2010, 02:56 PM
this is the shelter i was thinking of getting, anyone have any comments or experiances with this shelter.....
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/ice-fishing/shelters-sleds/clam-2000/prod289273.html

I prefer the pop ups. they are cheaper bigger and easier to set up. they do lack floors though. your tent has one so if thats important you buy a clam

nicemustang
11-16-2010, 03:58 PM
x2. Get a pop up.

aulrich
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
A sled, for those times you can't drive on.

Braun
11-16-2010, 07:13 PM
PS. i was hoping someone would bring up sleds. Any one know where you can get a decent one for a decent price. I love the ones at the fishin hole and those are the kind i was looking for before i went there but they were 60/70 bucks.

Overdrawn
11-16-2010, 08:07 PM
PS. i was hoping someone would bring up sleds. Any one know where you can get a decent one for a decent price. I love the ones at the fishin hole and those are the kind i was looking for before i went there but they were 60/70 bucks.

Sear Wish book 34bucks or somewhere around there.
Never bought one just seen the kids looking at the Ice fishing gear.

Kim473
11-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Check your local costco. heard they were selling them this year.
I never drive on lakes untill after xmas, it also depends on the year when it starts to get cold and how cold, it might be just me but I value my life and truck. Better to be safe than sorry. This year we had a very warm and sunny fall, so def after xmas. Last year was mid Jan and still found lots of flood water and only 14" of ice in some places. Snow cover makes a big differance too.

Geezle
11-17-2010, 06:55 AM

Throw up a post in the Buy & Sell section and see if somebody on the forum has one they want to get rid of cheap.

Last year that's what I did, and I ended up getting a nice sled with a canvas cover from a member for $40 I think :)