PDA

View Full Version : help picking a southern destination

steveo955
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
just looking for advice picking a southern destination for fishing. just got back from jamaica, fished in negril. it wasnt great. how do you pick a good charter? they all say that the fishing is great, then once you are on the boat, the captain says they havent seen a fish for 2 weeks. i dont like going through the resort to get a charter because there is usually a $300 surcharge(hidden) in the price. i want to go away in feb, and NEED to catch any kind of bill fish. it would also be nice to be in a spot where i can shore fish close to the resort. any help would be great. i dont think anyone will mind giving away their "honey hole" lol.

ward
11-16-2010, 04:08 PM
For the variety of fish and the large number of charters available it is hard to beat the southern Baja. Cabo, San Jose or Los Barriles all offer lots of options. Find a reputable charter outfit and book before you go rather than hiring off the street.

seahawkfisher
11-17-2010, 10:49 PM
not sure about the time, but we always have pretty good luck in PVR or for a few extra bucks, punta mita. we have stayed in riviera nayarit (riu jalisco) a few times and like the fact that you can get a variety of fishing in from the same place. you can bottom fish and troll the bay; fish pretty shallow, including fly @ river mouths; and go out deep for the big fish, all from the same place. rates go from free (if you are willing to waste a morning on a time share schpeel) to about a grand for 12hr on a serious machine out to corbetena or el banco.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/DSCF1187.jpg
one of our days fishing less than 10' @ a river mouth
i think we will be heading back that way for spring break :)
have fun!!