PDA

View Full Version : A week of snow

Guitarplayingfish
11-17-2010, 01:33 PM
So, the snow is really coming down here.. It has been for a while now, and I hear its supposed to keep coming until next monday or tuesday (fingers crossed). If this is the case, Think the ice on some Southern Alberta reservoirs will be safe enough by mid-next week? Usually I prefer to go at 6+ inches just to be safe. I was just thinkin, 7-10 days of -10 snowy weather .. Is that enough? How long do some of you guys wait? I'm itching and the only prescription is ice fishing.

beetlebailey
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think lots of snow on top of thin ice is good. Too much insulation and no cold air contacting the ice.

nicemustang
11-17-2010, 02:17 PM
For walking out on a trout pond, 3-4" is lots of ice if it is good solid ice. 6"+ is definitely good. For a southern AB res, 6" is a good idea because you never know.

Also, WIND is the biggest factor here. If it's windy, it won't freeze over. And snow doesn't make ice, cold weather does. In fact, snow hurts normal ice production. As said, it is an insulator. If it does have a thin crust of ice and then it snows a bunch, two things happen. 1. Insulation and ice doesn't freeze fast or get thicker fast. (without now and -5 or more, ice forms about .5" per day, more if it's really cold). 2. Lots of snow = lots of weight and can break the ice, leave open spots and/or produce lots of flood water which = really unsafe ice.

ORV
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
i agree . it would be good for the ice with no snow but the cold temps,
the snow makes a big difference on ice thickness.
one reason we had so much flood ice & such a late start last year. imo.

orv.

Guitarplayingfish
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys. I know I will probably have to wait longer than a week but Im just so anxious. :sign0176:

Cal
11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I think to much snow early in the season with not enough ice leads to winterkill. It pushes the first layer of ice under the water and then another layer forms, this double layer can hang around most of the season some times. Not sure what it has to do with winterkill but every year this happens I'll predict a winter kill and unfortunatly I'm usualy right. IMO I think theres not enough ice or snow to cause any problems right now, lets hope I'm right about that.

AK47
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
It should be -19 Friday night, -23 Saturday night...So 5 nights with more then -10, I am pretty sure even with snow Big Mac will be god to try near the shores for whites on Sunday... At least I am planning to go.

WayneChristie
11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
The small ponds south of Brooks were iced over last weekend, but Sunday was fairly warm so it likely weakened the ice, But we got very cold very fast and its going to last for at least the next week. I dont know how fast the reservoirs like Newell will freeze over, but even if they do it will be a while before its safe to go out. The ponds should be good to go but just barely, but by Sunday I am thinking they will be great, I know last year one went from an inch to 4 or 5 in a very few days. I am expecting another awesome day with a lot of very loud ice. Sounds like a thunderstorm under your feet. I spent the whole day jumping to my feet every time there was a big boom, but the adrenaline rush lasted the whole day.

g1987man
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
gonna go to ghost lake on sat for a couple of hours... if its good then travers of mc gregor on sunday =)))

AK47 , what is big mac lake pond? tried to google it... didnt work...

would anyone sugest a decent lake/pond with whitefish(besides mcgregor and spray lakes)?
thank you

Okotokian
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Cold up there, eh? I've been in Houston since Monday. Just finished dinner on an outdoor patio, no jacket. LOL

Sorry guys, just had to say it. LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

But... I'm back tomorrow..... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

kostianych
11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Big Mac - McGregor Res :) right? :)

Cal
11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Cold up there, eh? I've been in Houston since Monday. Just finished dinner on an outdoor patio, no jacket. LOL

Sorry guys, just had to say it. LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

But... I'm back tomorrow..... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

At least we're not in texas! :lol:

Braun
11-18-2010, 09:33 AM
At least we're not in texas! :lol:

:snapoutofit: I cant wait to goto texas. DEC 20.

I am actually seriously contemplating taking my rod down with me.

AK47
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Big Mac - McGregor Res :) right? :)

right, you want to go on Sunday?

Cal
11-18-2010, 10:47 AM
:snapoutofit: I cant wait to goto texas. DEC 20.

I am actually seriously contemplating taking my rod down with me.

Well... I dont hate Texas quite as much as I hate Nebraska or Kansas but I'd take a vacation to Winnipeg befor I went back to Texas. But then I hate Las Vegas even more so I guess I'm a little different than most people.

AK47
11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Well... I dont hate Texas quite as much as I hate Nebraska or Kansas .

What is wrong with Kansas? I think Kansas city is one the most beautiful cities in US... very European like. I loved it there:)

g1987man
11-20-2010, 09:10 AM
right, you want to go on Sunday?

hope i'll make it there=)
will be near the bridge ( hw531 )
would rather go to the dam but there is a big chance that ill get stuck on the gravel road... (front wheel drive car)
will be in a 6man costco tent if ice is good enough.. come over and say hi

AK47
11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
hope i'll make it there=)
will be near the bridge ( hw531 )
would rather go to the dam but there is a big chance that ill get stuck on the gravel road... (front wheel drive car)
will be in a 6man costco tent if ice is good enough.. come over and say hi

never seen anyobody stuck on that road.... I will be near the dam, so long way to say hi;)

g1987man
11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
ive seen a couple cars got stuck there... they didnt have much wind during the last week(according to weather network) so i assume there is a bit of snow down there....

lugeboy
11-20-2010, 10:48 AM
So you think magreggor is safe to go on maybe I'll take a drive out there

AK47
11-20-2010, 11:17 AM
So you think magreggor is safe to go on maybe I'll take a drive out there

I don't think, but I do hope. I will be there tomorrow and check, if it is not safe, I will not go on it, simple. But if it is safe.... whites beware:sHa_shakeshout: