PDA

View Full Version : New Trucks?

bullgetter
10-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I am looking at getting a new GMC Sierra crew cab. I know guys are getting vehicles in the states for 10-15 grand cheaper right now. I called a dealership in Great Falls and was told GM would not allow them to sell new vehicles to Canada only used vehicles. How are guys getting around this bull?:mad2:

chuck0039
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
If you know sombody down there or have family give them the money have them buy it for you. Thats what i would have done had i waited on buying my new truck a little while ago.

honda450
10-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Buy a Ford. Or wait awhile, prices have to go down. The trick they use now is to void warranties. Pile of crap. Same as quads. Bombardier got mega grants from the Canadian gov't and now will not sell quads to Canadians in the USA. Bombardiers are now made in Mexico probably using Canadian grants.

bullgetter
10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Free Trade is a joke. Why does a vehicle cost $10,000 more in Canada?

Morbius131
10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Bullgetter,

Keep looking, there are dealerships that will sell to Canadians. I know because I know a couple people that have done it lately. They haven't been dealing so much with Chevs but rather Dodge, Ford, Toyotas and Hondas. If the dealerships really want your money they will sell to you.

When you get back here, purchase the extended warranty if you really want warranty.

Morb

chuck0039
10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Aparently they bought there stock when the dollar was below the american dollar and if they lower the prices now they will lose money. they have to wait until they sell old stock and buy new while the dollar is high then they can become more competitive. That is what they are trying to tell everybody

honda450
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
The truth of the matter is that some of these units are made in Canada. Exported to the USA, but are cheaper there, go fiqure. BOYCOTT BOMBARDIER.

ABwhitetail
10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
A co-worker is currently looking to purchase a GM truck in the states...I have tried to convince him otherwise....not about buying from the states, but about buying GM....

Anyway....here is what he was told from the dealer....He was told that he would need a US address, but they said they didn't care if he made it up...Warranty is void in Canada for 6 months....if you have warranty issues, your only option is to bring back to them, then after 6 months you can phone GM and tell them you are moving to Canada, give them your address, and you will have warranty up here...

Other than that you need to pay the duty and GST at the boarder....

Originally when he phoned and got a price quote, before telling them where he lives, the quoted him $18K less than the dealership here (for a 2008, 3500 loaded duramax). With the exchange now, he'll gain another 2k off that saving him 20K before GST and Duty...

Once he finally got this info, he talked to the salesman again about coming down there and paying cash....suddenly the price of the vehicle went up 6K....to sticker price....

My coworker told the guy that he has until today to bring the price back down or forget it....

Anyway, it seems like a lot hoops to jump through.....now if a guy can really save 10-15K when all said and done....and not have a ton of warranty issues...ok maybe it is worth it.....

But I would like to truly see what all has to conspire for him to get this vehicle home....

And at that, all he ends up with is a GM in his driveway:sick:

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

bullgetter
10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
AB whitetail. Thanks for the info. Do you know the dealership he was dealing with? I've been doing some reading on the internet and in looks like this issue is created a lot on lawsuits! Read the following as it sheds some light on the issue.

Associated Press
October 20, 2007 at 11:19 AM EDT
BANGOR, Maine — A Canadian couple says they were turned down dozens of times when they tried to buy a new car in the United States and are challenging what they regard as illegal discrimination.
Rhonda Chancey and Allan Coombs, a married couple from Paradise, Nfld., claim that more than 80 New England dealerships, including 61 in Maine, refused their business.
Ms. Chancey and Mr. Coombs filed a discrimination complaint with the Maine Human Rights Commission and plan to sue five car companies.
Similar complaints are planned in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, according to the couple's lawyer, Stephanie Jazlowiecki of Topsham.

Ms. Jazlowiecki said General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge were seeking to maximize profits by not allowing Canadians to take advantage of their strong dollar and buy new cars in the United States, where prices are much lower.
"The dealerships' uniform denial of sales of new vehicles to Canadian citizens is a blatant pattern and practice of nation of origin discrimination," Jazlowiecki told the Bangor Daily News. "Individual dealerships claim they are not allowed or that it is illegal to sell to Canadians. But this would appear to be a patent violation of state and federal anti-discrimination laws, as well as federal anti-competition statutes," she said.
Automakers impose the same rule on Canadian dealerships, barring U.S. residents from buying vehicles when the dollar is particularly strong, Jazlowiecki said. Ms. Chancey and Mr. Coombs visited most of the dealerships and e-mailed some of them in the last two months, Ms. Jazlowiecki said.
In many cases, sales staff only became aware of the manufacturer's rule against selling to Canadians when they tried to go forward with a transaction, the lawyer said. She said dealers were permitted to sell the couple a used vehicle. Savings can be significant. A $40,000 Cadillac Escalade in the United States now fetches about $80,000 in Canada, Ms. Jazlowiecki said.
Last month, consumer advocacy groups in Canada filed a class-action lawsuit in Ontario Superior Court seeking $2-billion in general damages and $100-million in punitive damages from General Motors, Honda, Chrysler and Nissan for allegedly fixing car prices 25 per cent to 35 per cent higher in Canada than in the United States.
Ms. Jazlowiecki said her clients' case could also warrant class-action status. She said she has "been getting calls left and right" from Canadians who also have tried unsuccessfully to purchase cars in the U.S.
Ms. Chancey and Mr. Coombs finally did buy a car, a 2008 Pontiac Torrent. A relative in New Hampshire purchased it for them at a local dealership and then sold it to the couple. Even though they had to pay transfer tax and sales tax twice, the vehicle was still cheaper than it would have been in Canada, Ms. Jazlowiecki said.

ABwhitetail
10-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't know the dealership off hand....I do know that he went further south than Montana....I believe Nevada or Arizona????

When I see him I will ask......

Walleyes
10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Anyway....here is what he was told from the dealer....He was told that he would need a US address, but they said they didn't care if he made it up...Warranty is void in Canada for 6 months....if you have warranty issues, your only option is to bring back to them, then after 6 months you can phone GM and tell them you are moving to Canada, give them your address, and you will have warranty up here...

So in other words you have to lie, lie and lie some more... No thx I'll do my business on the up side thx anyways... It does suck that we have to pay so much extra but hopefully if we keep the press on the manufacturers and our governments we will get a on track... But I can't see our dollar holding at this rate for long anyways well I sure as hell hope not...

honda450
10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah but don't it feel good Compare to the American Peso.

ABwhitetail
10-26-2007, 01:00 PM
So in other words you have to lie, lie and lie some more... No thx I'll do my business on the up side thx anyways...

I hear you...I don't think I would do it either....but it will be very interesting how it pans out for him....

Dakota369
10-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Don't be too quick to think that our dollar will start to slide. I have heard from some pretty savy people that our dollar will continue to get stronger in comparison to the US sawbuck and may even level off at the $1.15 by the middle of next year! You could always just buy a two year lease back truck like I did. That would give you all the warranty you want to buy as well as a cheaper unit out of the gate!! It only cost me 15k, when new it would of been 40k+ !!!:D :D

honda450
10-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah the Yanks will hate that Dakota. Good tips on the truck I think the same.

Topwater
10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Another thing to consider when buying a truck accross the border. In order to make that deal make sense $$$$$ , your gonna have to pay cash. You may fool the dealership into thinking your an american but if you try to finance it through gmac etc. you'll be busted. And to borrow the money from your bank, we all know they cant compete with the 0 percent that you'll get at the Canadian dealers. So the interest rate at the bank will wipe out any savings of the purchase price. Just something to think about.
I know I'm going to probally do it next year after I sell the 3 trucks that are sitting in the driveway.
As far as the warranty goes, I dont care . the gms dont break down any way. This truck will be used to pull the fith wheel and boat around, not even driven in the winter or on gravel.
I did buy a new work/bush truck a few months ago and feel that for something like this than you need to buy local where you will need to be in the good graces with the dealer and service dept, because you will need warranty work.

Dakota369
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
If there is anyone out there in the Calgary/Edm area that wants to know the details on how I did it drop me a pm. I know a guy who buys lease back trucks at auctions, and then sells them to the dealers for a living and has been doing it for 20 years. The dealers don't want to have staff that do it so he does...... it is a great niche to be in and if he know you are just a private buyer all he want to do is make $500.00 on the deal so you as the purchaser can make out great!! All you need is the cash....................:cool: :cool: :cool:

bullgetter
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
The only thing that scares me about a lease truck is that alot of them are used as work trucks. Do you treat your work truck as well as your own truck? I know I don't!:lol: Financing is not an issue. I mean this is Alberta, who doesn't have $50,000 laying around. Oh wait if you do not want to live in a cardboard box then your money is probably tied up in house payments.:mad: Sorry had to vent as I am still looking for an "affordable and reasonable" acreage with no success.

Dakota369
10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Just take it have it inspected like any other vehicle before you purchase!!

Reeves1
10-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Another way to get a new truck (not used as work truck)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=6634

stubblejumper
10-26-2007, 04:24 PM
As far as the warranty goes, I dont care . the gms dont break down any way.

After owning three GM trucks,I must dispute that claim.Each of my three trucks made a few trips to the dealer for warranty repairs.

Topwater
10-26-2007, 06:28 PM
After owning three GM trucks,I must dispute that claim.Each of my three trucks made a few trips to the dealer for warranty repairs.

my 05 Duramax has been in for a rear axle seal and a slow side power window. I know your gonna need something done but for me and my use of the truck on highway only it would take alot of things to go wrong to make up the difference. To replace my 05 is 67000 cnd or 50 500 american.
As far as I'm concerened they are all overpriced and wear out to fast.