PDA

View Full Version : Clam Expedition

Geezle
11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

Just wondering if anybody has a Clam Expedition tent (the 2-3 man pop-up) and if so how do you like it?

After saying all year that a tent isn't in the budget for this season, I'm going back on that and planning on getting a tent. I'm a little torn on what size I should get though. On one hand if some is good, more is better, so I was thinking of getting a 4 man ice cube, or maybe the costco tent. Then I got to thinking that pretty much all the guys I regularly fish with already have at least 4 man tents...so I don't really *need* one.

Then I saw the Clam Expedition at Princess Auto. It's a 2-3 man with I think a 5x6 footprint, and from what I understand the quality of the Clam products is pretty decent? It's a touch smaller than say a 4 man, but I think it would be a slightly better size if I wanted to take it out by myself, but still big enough that I could bring somebody else along and still be reasonably comfortable in it. Any more people than that and we're in somebody else's tent.

I dunno. :confused:

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hate making uninformed purchases :o

Big Schnizz
11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I bought a Clam summit last year (6 x 8) and I love it. I'm very glad I went with the 6 x 8 instead of the 6 x 6. I would say to definitely get a tent with the 600 denier fabric (Clam, Costco tent) as most brands are 300 denier (ice cube, frabill, eskimo). The thing I noticed about the Costco tent is that the skirt isn't very wide which may make it harder to seal tight so the wind isn't blowing in. I would say definitely get at least a 6 x 6. A 6 x 6 is good for 2 people and you can do 3, but it's pretty tight at that point. My 6 x 8 is about the perfect size for 3 people and gear to fish comfortably.

mooseknuckle
11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Congrats Jay. I think you'll be happy with your purchase today.

WayneChristie
11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Mine arent clams, but I have a 300 denier 2 man thats perfect for one man, and also the costco 6 man that will be great for 4 people with lots of room for gear. Its a 600 denier and I think thats the thickness to go with for sure. I was warm enough most days in the thinner one, but I think it would have been much warmer in the 600D . I didnt have any problems at all last winter with snow blowing under the edge, but I made a folding wooden floor for mine thats insulated, and it was a couple inches higher than the bottom of the tent. I cant really see much blowing under the edge of the new one, it will be anchored tight all the time anyways, its going to catch a lot of wind and I dont want a free ride to Saskatchewan with our winds around here. I think if the clams are a good price they will be worth the money, and then you will be able to get your bride out on the ice with you finally !!!!!! :scared0018:

Geezle
11-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Well, as mooseknuckle already mentioned, yesterday I pulled the trigger and picked up a Clam Expedition from Princess Auto.

Then I went back to mooseknuckle's shop where we had a couple pops and set it up to see what it's all about, and I have to say (so far) I really like it. With a 5x6 footprint it's a little smaller than the 4 man ice cube, and I definitely wouldn't want to cram 3 guys in there, but I'd say it's a comfy 2 man tent, or a very roomy 1 man...which is exactly what I was looking for :)

Quality looks pretty good...it's got the heavier 600 denier fabric Wayne was talking about, 4 windows, 2 doors, and a couple vents in the roof.

At $200 I'd say it's pretty worthwhile, though I can't say how it compares to the similarly priced but slightly bigger Costco tents.

Either way I'm happy, and now I'm even twitchier to get out on the ice than I was before. Hopefully by this weekned! :D

mooseknuckle
11-19-2010, 09:18 AM
That is a sweet tent I really like the 2 doors and windows on all sides. Yeah if we were any more excited I would have tried drilling some holes in the concrete floor!!

Geezle
11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, I took the Clam out for its maiden voyage today, and I gotta say I love it! Maybe it's just because it's my first ice tent, but the difference having a tent makes is amazing.

Honestly, this thing makes a wicked 1 man tent...I was able to easily watch 2 holes with plenty of room to stand up, move around and do whatever I needed to. I also had my new sunflower heater in there, but I only used it from time to time when I started to get cold...even on its lowest setting today it was a little too much, but I'd much rather have too much heat rather than not enough!

Could get 2 guys in there without being uncomfortable, but if you toss the heater in there as well it might get a little cramped. Still definitely doable though.

Overall...I'm really happy with the tent. It's perfect for what I plan to do with it this season, and it looks like an item that I should get many years worth of use out of. I absolutely recommend it for somebody looking to get a small tent to get started with ice fishing :)

horsetrader
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Good report on the new tent sounds like it's working.

good job

Geezle
11-26-2010, 07:34 AM
One last word about the new Clam tent, and then I'm done...I promise :)

Took it out on Wednesday with mooseknuckle to try it out with two guys, and it was actually a lot roomier than I expected it to be. Had the two of us plus the big heater in there and still had plenty of room to move. With better hole placement we'd have had even more room. I think if I did it right I could probably get 2 holes going for each guy plus still have room for the heater :)

Also, the bag is big enough that the tent fits into it even when it's frozen and covered with ice!

Hunter Trav
11-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the new tent, hope it serves you well this winter...