PDA

View Full Version : Ice around Edmonton?

Geezle
11-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Just wondering if anybody's been out to any of the potholes recently to check on the ice. I'm thinking with this cold snap we're getting a couple of them should be good to walk out onto soon.

Maybe by the end of the weekend...?

Marlin07
11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Stopped by Hasse yesterday out of curiosity, still had lots of open water.

mooseknuckle
11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Geezle, we should take a drive out west this weekend and just check out for curiosity sake no need to do anything dumb but it wouldn't hurt to take a look then maybe some window shopping for some fishing gear, wait that sounded a little on the gay side. I meant go to the bar pound some beers and watch football. YEAH YEAH

Cal
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Geezle, we should take a drive out west this weekend and just check out for curiosity sake no need to do anything dumb but it wouldn't hurt to take a look then maybe some window shopping for some fishing gear, wait that sounded a little on the gay side. I meant go to the bar pound some beers and watch football. YEAH YEAH

All I can say is you better be bringing some fish back or its going to look a little brokeback.

ghostguy6
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Geezle, we should take a drive out west this weekend and just check out for curiosity sake no need to do anything dumb but it wouldn't hurt to take a look then maybe some window shopping for some fishing gear, wait that sounded a little on the gay side. I meant go take long showers till the wee hours of the morning

Fixxed it for you :thinking-006::scared0018:

Jay, I think im going to head to hermatige after work and see what the ice is like out there, that should give a good indication on what the potholes should be like.

mooseknuckle
11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Fixxed it for you :thinking-006::scared0018:

Jay, I think im going to head to hermatige after work and see what the ice is like out there, that should give a good indication on what the potholes should be like.

Awesome considering were just chatting about when we can get out. Let us know tonight what you think

ghostguy6
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
2" out to about 25 feet from shore then it tapered down to 1.5 " at 45 feet. I didnt have any more safety rope so I wouldnt venture out any further. At the dock area it was pretty slushy. 3/4 " at the end of the dock. The core samples showed good solid ice except around the dock area. The ice at the dock was full of air pockets. The good ice cracked at every hole I drilled. I used a 2" hole saw and a 1" wide by 8" long auger bit.

Both little ponds showed signs of open water so I didnt go on them.

Its going to be at least another week before ill be going out on the ice.

My advice is to stay off the ice for now. Even with a life jacket, safety harness and someone to pull me out it was still pretty nevre racking out there.

mooseknuckle
11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks ghost I'll save my self the trip this weekend. If we keep up with these -20 and colder nights I think next weekend might be worth checking out. And I think I'll have the fishing gear...... Just in case of course.

ghostguy6
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
No problem. Hopefully we can get out by the end of the month.

mooseknuckle
11-18-2010, 09:04 PM
No problem. Hopefully we can get out by the end of the month.

That would be sweet! I have lots of time off over the holidays so at the very least we should have lots of ice by then.

doublehaul
11-19-2010, 08:29 AM
I wanted to try my new auger set up last night and since I was in Beaumont for hockey I checked the ice there. I started drilling near shore and worked my way out to about 50 feet. There was three inches of clear ice in the five holes I drilled. I cut the handle off of my 6 inch auger and welded in an Allen wrench for my 18 volt Dewalt. I put on a plastic ring incase it comes off the drill. It works real slick! I can't wait till there is more ice to put it to the test.

pikehunter1989
11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
That would be sweet! I have lots of time off over the holidays so at the very least we should have lots of ice by then.

hey me too...i have the whole week off from christmas to new years. where shall we go to my friend? lol :happy0180:

mooseknuckle
11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
hey me too...i have the whole week off from christmas to new years. where shall we go to my friend? lol :happy0180:

Well with this weather buddy I'd say there should be enough ice to go anywhere we want!! You going to have that shack ready to go? Could always hit good ol wabamun it will be interesting to see what the water holds near town now that the plant is shutdown. I'm betting there is still more vegetation in that area then other parts? Definatley worth a try.