PDA

View Full Version : Ice Shanties.

New Hunter Okotoks
11-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to find info in these. Do people just make there own or do they ever come up for sale. I'm looking to find something about 7 or 8' wide X 12' long (ballpark size) with a few windows and a wood stove. I have 2 kids so a tent is too small (and the wife is too......... well you know............girly)
I would like something that 3 or 4 people can be in comfortably. I wouldn't even want fishing holes in it,just a shelter with windows and heat.

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW is there a real risk of D-Heads vandalizing them when they are left on the lake or is that pretty rare?

Overdrawn
11-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Buy a shed package. Intall a wood stove, cut some holes in the floor. minus the windows you don't light in. WAAMMO ICE SHANTIE

Geezle
11-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I know you said no tent, but what about a giant one like Wayne just picked up from Costco? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=725614&postcount=46

Plenty of room for 4-6 people, but you'd have to do propane for heat instead of wood. Reasonable cost, very portable, little effort involved in setting up/tearing down, and you don't have to worry about possible vandalism.

Just a thought :)

mooseknuckle
11-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I know you said no tent, but what about a giant one like Wayne just picked up from Costco? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=725614&postcount=46

Plenty of room for 4-6 people, but you'd have to do propane for heat instead of wood. Reasonable cost, very portable, little effort involved in setting up/tearing down, and you don't have to worry about possible vandalism.

Very good points. Really 12 x 8 thats huge for a shack your talking big time weight!! And a few bucks! As mentioned something portable like Waynes Chateau with a 20lb bottle and heater attachment for under $300 is the way to go IMO.

Duster
11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
A small holiday trailer works well to, i installed a wood stove in mine and have holes in the floor, I sleep in it when its - 30 no problem here is a pic of mine.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/BuckKrazy/101_0942.jpg

FOTW
11-19-2010, 11:29 PM

What is the cost on one of those bad boys?

WayneChristie
11-20-2010, 07:21 AM
cost me 299 including delivery. good deal.

mooseknuckle
11-20-2010, 09:23 AM
A small holiday trailer works well to, i installed a wood stove in mine and have holes in the floor, I sleep in it when its - 30 no problem here is a pic of mine.

If i remember correctly last year you had some pics up of you and some pals inside the thing ain't real pretty to look at but a very cool setup if a guy is doing a weekend trip or something. You've inspired me, I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for an ol beater trailer for next years ice season.

2big4u
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM

X2 I followed Duster and Bucks lead and we now roll in a "White Trash Ice Palace" We sleep up to 4 of us in it all winter, Tow it home after the weekend and reload it for the next.

DarkAisling
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Plenty of room for three people, okay room for four. Not at all practical for six. I prefer two people in the six-man to ensure truly adequate fishing space. I had the Frabill Headquarters last year, and have picked up the 6-man Eskimo for walk-out trips this year (can easily be carried backpack style).

I'm about to get a really sweet tent for drive out trips :D (thanks to the OP). Can't wait to get my hands on it, but the weather this week has not cooperated.

WayneChristie
11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Ive been thinking about eventually building a hard shack, but the more I think about the trailer idea, the more it makes sense. If you did it with a decent trailer you could camp in the summer and ice camp in the winter and fish at the same time from the comfort of your trailer. Plus you dont need a trailer to haul the shack out.

New Hunter Okotoks
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I thought about using a trailer as well.We had a nice one (2006 19')but I think the furnace would be on 24/7.It came on quite often when the temp was +10C!! It had 0 insulation.Also, I think that the floor would get beat up in a hurry in a trailer.It might be worthwhile to find something cheap that is just shelter and pile a woodstove into it.I would not need all the usual stove,fridge,water etc.As long as the axles turned it should be good enough?

I might be leaning towards building my own based on a shed plan.It's hard to say.I want to get the wife and kids out, but it's no fun for them sitting in a running truck all day.I guess maybe a wall tent with plywood sheets for a floor and woodstove, but I don't know what the REAL setup time would be or how well they hold the heat in.

Decisions,Decisions.
Thanks for the input;keep it coming.

dogboy
11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
tents are so cheep now days, and you can alwes move them to another lake.
Im thinking a big tent, then a hevey shack this year.

Shmag
11-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Just from reading the post i guess it would be safe to say you are just looking for an 8 x 12 shed. If this is the case i would probably call a few hutterite colonies, i beleive they make them at a fairly resonable rate and deliver. And you can buy an air tight wood stove and install it yourself...the wall tent style. the hutterites will special build anyway you want, if you want skids on it then they will even add them...heck they might even throw in a chicken or something...lol

TJG
11-21-2010, 02:49 PM
tents are so cheep now days, and you can alwes move them to another lake.
Im thinking a big tent, then a hevey shack this year.

U are rite about the mobility, but a warm wooden shack is
so sweet on a cold day. Somethings can never b replaced.

CeeZee
11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
U are rite about the mobility, but a warm wooden shack is
so sweet on a cold day. Somethings can never b replaced.
You said it! Cant beat a wood shack with a wood stove on those -25 or -30 days, no cold nothing, not even a hole icing over!

bigjeff
11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
The tents like what Wayne has are great. I've had a few, only downside is the big ones in my experience don't last much more an one season. Be prepared to possibly replace them every season depending on how many times you get out. If you get a shed or something more permanent, your grandkids could fish out of it if you look after it. My .02

FOTW
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Why do you think the big tents need to be replaced? Are they not that good of quality?

Badback
11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm trying to find info in these. Do people just make there own or do they ever come up for sale. I'm looking to find something about 7 or 8' wide X 12' long (ballpark size) with a few windows and a wood stove. I have 2 kids so a tent is too small (and the wife is too......... well you know............girly)
I would like something that 3 or 4 people can be in comfortably. I wouldn't even want fishing holes in it,just a shelter with windows and heat.

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW is there a real risk of D-Heads vandalizing them when they are left on the lake or is that pretty rare?

I think the perfect shanty for...Just follow the link!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/spo/2069526947.html

Freedom55
11-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I have had more than a few debates with shanty owners that claim ownership of the ice inside of their shack plus all the ice within, and get this, up to 300' around said hut. For proof of this, try the area that Nicemustang likes at Spray where a local fishing club claims about two hectares of ice and posts signs that politely warn you to stay away!
I followed a thread last winter about this topic where an american from Maine butted in to claim that he would make a citizen's arrest and physically detain you until HE was done fishing in order to have you jailed for trespassing!
I have found unattended plywood hovels with padlocks that were rendered redundant due to the fire that razed the humble hut, right where it stood. Who cleans that mess up?
Looked through a crack in the shutters of ice-huts that were veritable palaces, locked up tighter than a drum.
I "trespassed" once by entering an unlocked, simple plywood shack because of the worsening weather only to discover that ignoring the wind in winter will surely cause a miserable drive home (not to mention a nervous feeling that any minute an irate OSB artist was going to shoot my sorry arse). My apologies if that was your hut. I did not touch your bait or tackle.
All this considered, and because I do not have a cabin on the lake to prop up my claim, I have gone with a Frabill 'Outpost' that I can set up anywhere plus I can put a WELCOME mat at the door.
Those rolling shacks seem like the answer for a get-away but I find that the best fishing comes with the early ice and I wouldn't want to go through or miss out because I was waiting for the ice to thicken.

TJG
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I have had more than a few debates with shanty owners that claim ownership of the ice inside of their shack plus all the ice within, and get this, up to 300' around said hut. For proof of this, try the area that Nicemustang likes at Spray where a local fishing club claims about two hectares of ice and posts signs that politely warn you to stay away!
I followed a thread last winter about this topic where an american from Maine butted in to claim that he would make a citizen's arrest and physically detain you until HE was done fishing in order to have you jailed for trespassing!
I have found unattended plywood hovels with padlocks that were rendered redundant due to the fire that razed the humble hut, right where it stood. Who cleans that mess up?
Looked through a crack in the shutters of ice-huts that were veritable palaces, locked up tighter than a drum.
I "trespassed" once by entering an unlocked, simple plywood shack because of the worsening weather only to discover that ignoring the wind in winter will surely cause a miserable drive home (not to mention a nervous feeling that any minute an irate OSB artist was going to shoot my sorry arse). My apologies if that was your hut. I did not touch your bait or tackle.
All this considered, and because I do not have a cabin on the lake to prop up my claim, I have gone with a Frabill 'Outpost' that I can set up anywhere plus I can put a WELCOME mat at the door.
Those rolling shacks seem like the answer for a get-away but I find that the best fishing comes with the early ice and I wouldn't want to go through or miss out because I was waiting for the ice to thicken.

LOL, sweet analagy, its exactly how things are on the ice.
Back in Sask, Last mountain and the Quappelle lakes, evveryone
has a wood shack. And they all have locks on them and in 20 years
of fishing with one, I have only seen less then a hand full have the lock
tore off and the shanty ransacked.
Now, here in the land of milk and honey, the land of teens with nothing
better to do and out for a laugh, others looking for anything to steal
and sell for god knows what, I hv seen more destuction and theft
in 10 years than all my others put together. Sylvan is one of the worst,
every year there are theft, destroyed and burned shacks on the ice
and off at the end of the season.
Now that being said, I hv a wood shack, always unlocked, so there
would be no repairs to b done after they went through it and if anyone
wanted to use it or warm up. I went out last year to pull it off the ice
and seen all these shack destroyed and mine sitting nice and uprite.
Going inside I seen where they took my garbage bag and lite it, trying
to burn down the shack. Scorched the back wall and burned a hole
in the floor, I am still at a lose for the reason of these acts. On the
shore I seen at least 3 shacks driven into and damaged or pushed into
the ditch. Help me understand this?

ron anderson
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
You need to get a Letter of Authority (permit) to put a shack on Spray. The conditions state that "Shelters may be locked by owners to prevent public access. Public access to the ice surface adjacent to a fishing shelter cannot be restricted by the LOA holder"

New Hunter Okotoks
11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Do you need a permit on all lakes for a hard shack or just some?
I would think that common sense would determine how close someone would set up fishing holes around someone else's shack.I could totally see someone putting holes 10 feet from the shack to get out of the wind.I just would not someone drilling holes within 10 feet of a hole I had fishing.I would not have issue with that especially if the shack was located right on a structure shift or drop off.I guess the other thing would be to not drill a hole right outside the door! LOL!!!

jts1
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I think the perfect shanty for...Just follow the link!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/spo/2069526947.html

Dude that frickn rocks I want one...

ORV
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
hey jeff.

did you ever get your shack down here? never heard anymore about it.

orv.

Albertadiver
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
This is a link to the one I built.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

It will seat 4 big guys, or me, the dog, and my wife can lay down and sleep with her sleeping bag on the raised floor. I generally go for a full day, which makes it worthwhile setting up. If it's just for a few hours, it would be a pain.

I can set it up by myself, but it is a bit tricky. With the canvas walls out, it's basically 12' x 5'6".

New Hunter Okotoks
11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
This is a link to the one I built.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

It will seat 4 big guys, or me, the dog, and my wife can lay down and sleep with her sleeping bag on the raised floor. I generally go for a full day, which makes it worthwhile setting up. If it's just for a few hours, it would be a pain.

I can set it up by myself, but it is a bit tricky. With the canvas walls out, it's basically 12' x 5'6".

Nice job on the shelter!
Not a terribly bad deer in the first couple of pics too!!! LOL!!!