PDA

View Full Version : Ice around edmonton

pophouseman
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Anyone found thickish ice around edmonton yet???? on a side note I have never caught a burbot but would love too. what is the best lake around edmonton for catching some burbot???(i heard they are great to eat).

lifesaflyin
11-20-2010, 07:36 PM
year before last ice season i was pulling burbot out of wizard lake pretty steady fish on the bottom with a minnow on a rattlin rap or a spoon. if you fish higher up all you will get is undersized pike with sores on them.

hockey1099
11-20-2010, 07:53 PM
well i got my first fish of the hard water season and my buddy pulled in two more. Ill say the ice is really iffy. SPots on the lake had 2" or less that cracked with the weight of one man and other parts had nearly 6". what was really funny was that the really bad ice was at shore in 2-3 fow while in 12 fow we had 4" of clear hard ice.

Id say its still unsafe out there and only for seasoned ice anglers who are willing to take a dip. I wouldnt bring out any first timers out until the ice gets better. id say thats going to be two more weeks with the nice blanket of snow insulating the lakes

burbotman14
11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Where was this?

hockey1099
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM
A trout pond near edmonton. Im not naming it until the ice is safer i dont want to be responsible for some one falling in think its safe because i went.

A muskrat popped up through one of the holes. Scared us then got scared when it saw us in the tent.

burbotman14
11-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the information. Should be heading out in 2-3 weeks. For me I'll probably wait until the lakes are 5-6 inches.

maclennanchris
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I agree, i went out to my local trout hole for about an hour. Ice was making some funky cracking sounds with just me on it....packed it in before i went for a dip. Few more weeks and it should be good.