PDA

View Full Version : Be safe out there

Geezle
11-22-2010, 06:55 AM
I know a lot of us are anxious to get out on the first ice, and I know it's been said time and again in a number of threads, but be careful out there guys!

I checked out one of the trout ponds on Saturday and it was all good...2 1/2 inches of good ice all around. Yesterday I went back and maybe 15 yards away from where I was on Sat there was a crack in the ice with open water and it was bubbling :scared: It snowed all day and when I left that spot was still open...must be a spring under there.

Had I walked a little farther to fish yesterday I could have gone for a very icy swim.

I had a pic of the open water, but my stupid laptop froze up right when I was transferring my pics and I lost them all :mad0100:

notemper
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reminder!
Would you please give us the name of that place?

hockey1099
11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I had the same thing occur at the lake i went to on saturday and sunday. Its a different lake than Geezle went to.

I dont think mine was due to a spring im pretty sure the water i saw coming up was due to the weight of the snow pushing down on thin ice with a big crack in it.

Its dangerous out there people. i was on a pothole and the ice varied from unsafe where it cracked under my weight 200lbs to 6.5 inches in one spot where me another guy 260 plus a tent all our gear, and heater stayed for hours with no issues.