PDA

View Full Version : Brookies

Typical
11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I live in Edmonton, Never caught Brookies before, looks like fun. Which lake would you guys recommend for brookies and what to use to catch them.

Thanks

MountainTi
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Good website to start your research
http://www.mywildalberta.com/documents/Fish-Stocking-Report-2010.pdf

JessePat
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I went to Chickakoo (sp?) Lake on Saturday. It is just past Spruce grove and is in the vicinity of Saur and Hubbles lake if you know where those are. The ice was about three inches thick, and I was only fishing in about 3 or 4 feet of water so I wasn't too, too worried. I was catching brookies on a small small jig with a piece of shrimp on the end. Another guy was getting luck with worms.

nicemustang
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Small small jig head and worms.

Typical
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys for the replies

hard_azz
11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
me and a buddy were in west central alberta on saturday and sunday catchin some real nice brookies... thinkin bout goin out this coming weekend and ur more then welcome to come along if u want

bloopbloob
11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
just glancing over that link to stocked fish, i noticed genotype for some to be 3NTP, which i assume means # chromosomes = 3, triploid, which therefore means they would be sterile. why would they go to the trouble of stocking so many fish that will never reproduce? just curious why that may be advantageous over stocking 2n in most others...?

Geezle
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I went to Chickakoo (sp?) Lake on Saturday. It is just past Spruce grove and is in the vicinity of Saur and Hubbles lake if you know where those are. The ice was about three inches thick, and I was only fishing in about 3 or 4 feet of water so I wasn't too, too worried. I was catching brookies on a small small jig with a piece of shrimp on the end. Another guy was getting luck with worms.

Be careful on Chickacoo...that ice is sketchy in spots, even if there was 3" under you. There's a spring near where you were fishing...

highwood
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
just glancing over that link to stocked fish, i noticed genotype for some to be 3NTP, which i assume means # chromosomes = 3, triploid, which therefore means they would be sterile. why would they go to the trouble of stocking so many fish that will never reproduce? just curious why that may be advantageous over stocking 2n in most others...?

Regardless of ploidy, the vast majority of trout stocked in pothole lakes will not reproduce anyway. Moving water is required and in most cases, sufficient inlet/outlet streams to allow successful spawing is not available.

nicemustang
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Well its for the put and take fisherman type. (I do it too sometimes, so I'm not preaching) Triplods don't spend energy going through the reproduction cycle so they spend all their energy growing instead. Just a good way to make fish bigger faster and hopes for a trophy.

bloopbloob
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Well its for the put and take fisherman type. (I do it too sometimes, so I'm not preaching) Triplods don't spend energy going through the reproduction cycle so they spend all their energy growing instead. Just a good way to make fish bigger faster and hopes for a trophy.

AHHHH! Makes much more sense now! Never thought of that! Main thought was that they didn't want them to escape and invade non-native habitat, but there were so many on there, and I'm sure many are landlocked, so it didn't make much sense. Does now!

Also I knew trout have very low reproductive rates in still waters, but at least there is a chance, which is why it didn't make much sense to choose 3n over 2n, until the size difference was brought up.

Thanks all

Geezle
11-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Just gotta say one more time about Chickacoo that there was open water there on Sunday that was not there on Saturday, and it's right near where people have been fishing. BE CAREFUL!!!!!

fish-slaughter
11-23-2010, 07:40 PM
i was out there sunday too and there was a few sketchy spots iv been told that lake has a few springs in it. if there's snow and a clear spot usually stay clear in the early season

Geezle
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
i was out there sunday too and there was a few sketchy spots iv been told that lake has a few springs in it. if there's snow and a clear spot usually stay clear in the early season

Were you there with another guy in an Ice Cube?

fish-slaughter
11-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Yea i think he scared all the fish away every time they came around he would freakout http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/angry3.gif as you probably herd!

Geezle
11-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Yea i think he scared all the fish away every time they came around he would freakout http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/angry3.gif as you probably herd!

Haha yeah, I heard, but it sounded like he was having fun :)