PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing must haves

Hilgy
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
So this will be my first year fishing the hard water and to be honest the first time I have done any real fresh water fishing in general.

I built a 6x8 ice hut this summer that should fit 4 adults nicely but other than the rods i bought the other day I have no idea what kind of tackle and other stuff a guy should have to make for an enjoyable time on the lake.

I built the floor to allow for a 3x3 hole to be cut in the ice with my chainsaw and then I can put a piece back in the floor to make 4- 8" holes when the kids are out.

I have a small woodstove to keep things warm but other than that I'm lost.

My plan is put the shack out at gull and leave it there for the winter. I'm not so concerned with catching huge fish just want to get the kids and wife out and have fun.

So other than the rods what should my tackle box gear consist of.

Thanks

Hilgy

hard_azz
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
if ur out on gull then u will deffinately want to have some wire worms of all shapes and colours. i will also want a very good assortment of jig heads and rubber bodies... that should get ya started on the whitefish and perch... it really depents on wat species ur after

Hilgy
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
thanks hard,

thats a good start. Is it possible to catch the above metioned as well as get into some pike and walleye all from the same location on the lake or would a guy need to be a bit more mobile.

Another thing I was wondering was what are the chances that your shack will be vandalized. I know I have seen lots left out there but I'm sure it happens.

WayneChristie
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
We had a gathering at Gull last year, in the same hole I saw perch, burbs, and pike. Probably would have seen whites too if Id stayed there longer. Take along some smelts for the Burbs and pike with some wire leaders as well. Dont forget warm boots and at least 2 pairs of gloves or mitts because one always gets wet. A fish camera will keep the kids (and me) entertained for hours.

monsterxlr8
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Out on gull it is usuaaly pretty good for people leaving stuff alone. For the last 5 years I have left my hut out there all winter with a sign on the door inviting people to feel free to use it but please leave it the way you found it. Only once has there been some trash and junk left in it. Mind you i don't leave anything in my hut. So if you are unsure just through a pad lock on it.

In the shallow bays you will be able to get perch and white fish, with the odd pike as well, oh yeah and ling if your after them. It really depends on the day what you will catch.

Can't wait to get out there!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

latenite
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
like wayne says, definitely smelts for burbs and pikers. i'll go so far as to suggest black head jigs and white soft bodies. one of the guys at The Sportsman Den in Red Deer suggested neon green wire worms for the perch and whites, said they worked well. hope that helps and hope your kids have a great time.:fishing:

rvhomey
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Don't forget a good skimmer to keep the ice hole clean, some sort of seats (lawn chairs) and some tip ups, for when your preoccupied with the kids. Most of all, the hot chocolate and marshmallows. Have fun!

Hilgy
11-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys for all the great info. Looking forward to getting out and giving the shack a try.

Monster, your sign on the door thing was exactly what I was going to do. I figure they would get in anyways so at least this way if someone is out for the day and wanted to use the shack to stay warm they could.

I have also heard that your shack needs to be registered. Any truth to this and if so how/who do I do tis through.

thanks
Hilgy

latenite
11-23-2010, 08:17 AM
i've never heard of registering shacks. i have'nt. imo, i don't think there is such thing. one to watch out for in the spring is to get your shack off before the ice gets too crappy, but that's a while from now. you got any pics of your shack?

horsetrader
11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys for all the great info. Looking forward to getting out and giving the shack a try.

Monster, your sign on the door thing was exactly what I was going to do. I figure they would get in anyways so at least this way if someone is out for the day and wanted to use the shack to stay warm they could.

I have also heard that your shack needs to be registered. Any truth to this and if so how/who do I do tis through.

thanks
Hilgy

Had to register shack when I was in Ontario but not here

H

Geezle
11-23-2010, 08:33 AM
i've never heard of registering shacks. i have'nt. imo, i don't think there is such thing. one to watch out for in the spring is to get your shack off before the ice gets too crappy, but that's a while from now. you got any pics of your shack?

I think they maybe want you to have your WIN number posted on the shack or something, don't they? :confused:

Bigtoad
11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
We used to have a monster 10x12 shack with a 5x6 hole cut in it out at Gull. That was back in the days when we could bowfish. That was way too much fun to be legal.

Anyway, if we locked the shack, it would always be broken into and for some reason, smell a little like ****. However, if left unlocked, it would usually be in good shape and often extra lures laying about.

Wireworms are good at gull or really small rubbertails. I like white ones myself. The small rubbertails or the smallest lenny will work on perch. I also keep an extra reel and rod ready with a leader and either a large rubbertail or Len Thompson 5 of diamonds on standby if a jack comes in. Get your small stuff out of there and drop down the larger hardware.

Find 4-6 feet of water with a sandy to sandy/weedy bottom and you should be in the money for whites. You'll need some weeds to find the perch. Jacks will find you.

Cheers.

Geezle
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Didn't see it posted (may have missed it?) but how about a shovel? I always have one in the Jeep in the winter and it's always handy to have out on the ice.

Hilgy
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Awesome thanks for all the replies. Not having much knowledge of the lake I figured that I would just set up near the spot where we rented a shack two years ago and see how that goes. Once we get the shack out there we could explore a bit more during the day and maybe find a spot that suits us.

I will get some pics of the shack soon just have to finish the torch on roof and install the stove and should be ready to go.

Hopefully the wife and kids enjoy it cause i think it will be a ton of fun and a great way to kill a few winter days

thanks
Hilgy

jpohlic
11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
My wife and kids really like having a portapotty with a little privacy tent.

mikebossy
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
if you leave it out on the ice put some identifying mark, ie your name or something unique, somewhere out of clear view inside the shack so if you happen to come out one day and someone is using it when you want to , you can show them something to proclaim ownership and save yourself a possibly ugly situation with some freeloader, just a thought

CeeZee
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
i cant find it in the regs. online, but i thought i read it somewhere it is manditory to have a name and phone number posted on the outside of the shack in plain view.
That is manditory in MB i know, but just kind find it online, perhaps its not.

fish-slaughter
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
everyone who ice fishes should have some spikes in case you were to fall in because if there's no one around your pretty screwed on tryin to crawl out

latenite
11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
come to think of it, i've had fish cops visit my shack, and never asked for registration, so i don't think it's mandatory, but like some of the folks have posted here, it would be a good idea, for claiming ownership. i kept mine locked up at gull, at brownlows landing, and never had a prob with vandals. i like to keep stuff in there, so i lock it. i heard of vandals out at sylvan last year, but i think it was personal.

Hilgy
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey guys sorry for the lack of a responce but work has been nuts and have not been home much.

Still waiting on the torch on but should be able to get the shack out over the holidays.

Going to stock up the tackle box in the next couple days was wondering what everyone uses for line in the cold water. The stuff on the rods I bought is junk. I see that there is actual ice fishing line but is any quality line good to go.

Thanks for putting up with the stupid ??

Hilgy

Big Red 250
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
needle-nose pliars, 12lb mono always does it for me unless rigging for lakers or big pike. No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers. A person can spend a pile of money on ice-fishing accessories to keep up with the Joneses but just for great times with the family, what's the point.

AK47
12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
well, if I would put a list of must haves for ice fishing it wold look like that:

1. special winter boots and clothes.
2. Ice auger
3. Ice fishing rods, lures, bait.
4. tip up or substitute for it.
5. something to sit on ( chair, bucket, box , whatever)

Everything else is extra and not a must have. Sure it is nice to have tent, fishfinder or flasher, underwater camera and other fancy toys but you can have fun and catch fish without it.

Hilgy
12-30-2010, 10:48 PM
well finally got the finishing touches put on the shack and tomorow is the big day. Going to head out to gull and find a home for it.

Took a drive out to the lake to have a look around. Cant wait to get things squared away and do so fishing.

So if you see a white f-350 with a guy thats looks like he has no idea what he's doing thats me and it's true I dont have a clue.

Should be fun.....

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Sometimes being without a clue isnt such a bad thing, when it comes to fishing! Hope you enjoy the shack and even catch a fish or two.

Alberta Bigbore
12-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Marmish Ice rods, Tip Ups, Flasher, Ice Camera, Heater, and Nil Hali chain droppers, lol. hmmm Hut, coleman stove, good friends, lots of laughs, and an understanding woman at home is all you need for a good season out on the ice :p