PDA

View Full Version : Fish Do Feel Pain

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2010/11/17/researcher_explores_whether_fish_feel_pain.html

Interesting.

Walleyes
11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
First off I beleive she is full of well you know what.. All this study was designed to do from the start was find an excuse to stop fishing,,, you watch..

I have one simple test for this chick and anyone who believes fish feel pain.. I will take a hook and sink it in your lip and let's see how hard you pull against it,,,you can't do it do to the pain.. Simple test but its the only one needed..

Man this fricken B.S. is going to open a huge can of worms..

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
First off I beleive she is full of well you know what.. All this study was designed to do from the start was find an excuse to stop fishing,,, you watch...

Did you read the whole article: the part where she discusses the merits of sportfishing?

Walleyes
11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Yah dark she talks about the merits,, but do you think that the greanpeace idiots and anti's will ?? This is going to be fire you watch..

WayneChristie
11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
she said. "In our experiments we showed that if we hurt fish, they react, and then if we give them pain relief, they change their behavior, strongly indicating that they feel pain."
If you startle a fish they react too. And if you hurt a fish I am pretty sure it would be a little bit startled at the same time. And if you give me painkillers I will change my behavior too, I know, Ive tried it! :bad_boys_20:

hal53
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
and we're wondering why there is a 5 Billion$ deficit????...we can pay tax dollars for this?????...can of worms is right!! PETA will be all over this with more $ for BS that will do nothing to help the resource...as usual....

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 06:44 PM
and we're wondering why there is a 5 Billion$ deficit????...we can pay tax dollars for this?????...can of worms is right!! PETA will be all over this with more $ for BS that will do nothing to help the resource...as usual....

This research study was done in Pennsylvania.

wannabeafisherman
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
:angry3: Last time i looked, man is higher on the food chain. AND HAPPY FOR IT!!! The huggers don't say anything about bears catching fish and chewin them up for food. Do they feel pain at that time? How about when they get a crack with my pliers and end up on my plate. These people have nothing better to do than complain about crap. Get a life people. Same ones that probable complain about emissions, helmets, laws that are absolutely stupid, Sport fishing is exactly that. SPORT FISHING!!!

And that's all I have to say about that:argue2::argue2:

hal53
11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
This research study was done in Pennsylvania.
oh, that's right, they measure their deficit down there in trillions, not billions....

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
oh, that's right, they measure their deficit down there in trillions, not billions....

And, most research done in the U.S. is funded by the private sector, and thus does not contribute to the national deficit.

hal53
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
...and the private sector would be PETA or WWF???....just wondering......

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
...and the private sector would be PETA or WWF???....just wondering......

The funding is usually provided by a company that can financially profit from the findings (virtually all disease research in the U.S. is funded by drug companies). As PETA and WWF would not profit financially from the findings in any significant way, it is unlikely. My best guess in this case, would be that the study was funded by a company that has a patent on some sort electrical stunning device that is a more "humane" way to kill fish. Or, maybe a drug company that has some sort of pain receptor inhibitor which could be fed to farm fish?

hal53
11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
^^^ think you're missing my point....NO ONE involved in this study gives a R***S AZZ if fish feel pain or not...it will do nothing to enhance any fishery anywhere....it is all about $$$$$ spent on useless reasearch, that if a company is willing to pay for it, you can bet the "researcher" will come up with the answer that the funding people would like to see....

DarkAisling
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
^^^ think you're missing my point....NO ONE involved in this study gives a R***S AZZ if fish feel pain or not...it will do nothing to enhance any fishery anywhere....it is all about $$$$$ spent on useless reasearch, that if a company is willing to pay for it, you can bet the "researcher" will come up with the answer that the funding people would like to see....

The study wasn't about enhancing a fishery, it's primary focus was to determine whether or not fish feel pain, and if commercial harvesting techniques should be changed as a result.

I have a couple of very good personal friends who manage large research projects at universities in the U.S. All research done must stand up to reviews to have any merit. Researched "truths" are not blindly accepted as such. Being that this research was done at Penn State, I would expect that the researcher would have a legitimate interest in the outcome, and an unbiased approach.

Whether this research has gone through a review process I can not say, but I find it interesting none-the-less.

Overdrawn
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
This site isn't for animal activists that like eating beef because it is the Humane meat. I think cows feel pain to, when the metal prob pentrates there skull or when they walk them down the shoot and cut them with a razor blade from front to back and there guts fall out as they are walking. Make alot less mess to clean up.

Christofficer
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Well I'm just gonna say it already since nobody has yet....but...

Who cares.

Won't stop me from fishing. It is interesting though.

bloopbloob
11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
IMO that article is nothing more than internet junk. I am in my 4th year of my BSc Ecology at the UofC, I have researched this myself, mostly for my own curiousity, read many, many articles, peer reviewed journals, published work, etc., and that little write-up is meaningless to me. No proof to validity of any statements, didn't see any kind of reputable references, no link to the actual study, and it was half covered with internet advertisements. Only thing I see in there of much merit, is that fish "detect noxious stimuli", which comes across throughout most research I've done. But for the most part, they are physiologically incapable of "feeling pain", they can only sense disturbances. anyways. just my 2C vs her babble..... carry on! :argue2:

FishingFrenzy
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
:angry3: Last time i looked, man is higher on the food chain. AND HAPPY FOR IT!!! The huggers don't say anything about bears catching fish and chewin them up for food. Do they feel pain at that time? How about when they get a crack with my pliers and end up on my plate. These people have nothing better to do than complain about crap. Get a life people. Same ones that probable complain about emissions, helmets, laws that are absolutely stupid, Sport fishing is exactly that. SPORT FISHING!!!

And that's all I have to say about that:argue2::argue2:

emission and helmet laws.. yeah those are reaaaaaly stupid.. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You have got to be joking me....

sharrozap
11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Another big BS. Mushrooms feel pain too, or grapes to be smashed for wine?:bad_boys_20: Maybe only the cigars like the fire:thinking-006:

Photoplex
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
The hick, redneck, knee-jerk, reactionary ignorance in this thread is astonishing.

At least there's a sensible voice or two (DarkAisling, bloopbloob) trying to bring some common sense.

pikergolf
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
emission and helmet laws.. yeah those are reaaaaaly stupid.. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You have got to be joking me....

Oh Oh :fighting0074: :party0051:

mooseknuckle
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
IMO that article is nothing more than internet junk. I am in my 4th year of my BSc Ecology at the UofC, I have researched this myself, mostly for my own curiousity, read many, many articles, peer reviewed journals, published work, etc., and that little write-up is meaningless to me. No proof to validity of any statements, didn't see any kind of reputable references, no link to the actual study, and it was half covered with internet advertisements. Only thing I see in there of much merit, is that fish "detect noxious stimuli", which comes across throughout most research I've done. But for the most part, they are physiologically incapable of "feeling pain", they can only sense disturbances. anyways. just my 2C vs her babble..... carry on! :argue2:

I'm picking up what your putting down. Well said.

vcmm
11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
The drug company studies you talking about get 85-95% of their funding through grants payed by the tax payer