PDA

View Full Version : Handling fish - gloves?

Geezle
11-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Just wondering what the consensus is on handling C&R fish with gloves.

Last year when fishing for trout sometimes I'd grab 'em with one of those cotton glove liners since they're so slimy they're sometimes tough to get a handle on to unhook. I've gotten out of that habit now, but sometimes have to trap the fish with my boots to get a good hold of the fish to unhook it. Gets mighty icy on the hands though!

Just wondering what you guys do...bare hands, those rubber kinda 'fish' gloves, neoprene...?

bloopbloob
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
When I was young, I remember my dads fish gloves were black rubber with those big jagged chunks on the palms, I certainly don't use those these days. You could get a good grip, but they absolutey destroy the fish. I use neoprene gloves because I hate the slime, and to protect from hooks, teeth, and spines. Only time I don't use a glove is sometimes with trout, but prefer to have a glove on.

billie
11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I just use my soft net.

fish-slaughter
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
all skin here

FishingFrenzy
11-23-2010, 08:29 PM
My vote is for rubber net! Seems a little unnessecary for icefishing but its nice for keeping the fish from going back down the hole. It also means you dont have to get your gloves wet, you just get em in the net and then remove the hook.

Anyway that applies for summer and winter in my opinion but since its that time of year i addressed it a bit more for ice fishing :)

Sundancefisher
11-23-2010, 08:41 PM
The more you handle a fish...the greater the chance of infection and death.

This is an overall good article for best catch and release methods.
http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/Catch&ReleaseMethods.pdf

The rubber catch and release net is the best option. Grab the hook with your fingers... Gloves really hurt fish by removing the protective coating.

Great to hear you are looking to improve your methods. We need more responsible fishermen thinking like yourself.

Great job!

Sun

Christofficer
11-24-2010, 02:42 AM
I try not to touch them at all, but sometimes I can't help it and do it anyways. Bare skinned. Neoprene gloves sound like a good idea though, I'm gonna look into that.

Geezle
11-26-2010, 07:26 AM
So wait a tick...how many of you guys are actually using a net out on the ice?

Sundancefisher
11-26-2010, 08:26 AM
So wait a tick...how many of you guys are actually using a net out on the ice?

I don't like bringing a fish out of water if being released while ice fishing. Gills freeze and damage really fast in cold air. I bring the fish up to the top of the hole and remove the hook if at all possible. Then push the fish back down if needed with the ice scoop.

timbo
11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Make sure to take an old towel when you go ice fishing it beats trying to dry your hands on your pants

FishingFrenzy
11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't like bringing a fish out of water if being released while ice fishing. Gills freeze and damage really fast in cold air. I bring the fish up to the top of the hole and remove the hook if at all possible. Then push the fish back down if needed with the ice scoop.

Sundance,

I read the article you posted and took it too heart! I'll leave the net at home just release fish right in the water.

Geezle
12-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Ok, now I'm on the trolley :)

Geezle
12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Make sure to take an old towel when you go ice fishing it beats trying to dry your hands on your pants

I always try to keep a towel in with my fishing stuff...great for drying hands or wiping off fish slime/bait/whatever :)

latenite
12-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I've always tried not to handle fish as little as possible, so as not to remove the slime. I got a nifty jaw gripper plastic pliers for xmas one year, they work good. You just got to be careful not to break off teeth.

Darren57
12-03-2010, 11:35 AM
My favorite for good control of a slippery fish has been a set of neopene kayaking gloves from crappy tire. They are form fitting enough that you can tie your shoe laces with them on. They have just enough grip to interlock with fish scales without doing damage. The only draw backs are they are a bit too thin for realy cold days and a bit expensive at $24. I have used mine for several seasons in both summer and winter now and they just have one small hole meted in them from my less inteligent moments when i held them too close to my radiant propane heater last year at Eagle when it was -33 with wind chill.

Geezle
12-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Okay, so most of this has been dealing with trout...especially the unhooking them in the hole part. But what about bigger fish, like pike?

I was out with mooseknuckle last week and he had a pair of neoprene gloves...I think he said he got them from Cambodian Tire? Anyway, I tried them out when we took a couple quick pics of one of my fish, and I've gotta say I love them! You get a good grip, but they're not abrasive, and it makes me feel a little safer around those teeth when trying to unhook a deep hooked pike.

Liked them so much I picked up a pair of Quantum neoprene gloves from TFH on my way to my last outing. For about $14 I'll never go back :) Though I don't see myself wearing them constantly...just toss one or maybe both on when I need to handle a big fish.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3858438&enlargeSkuz=22459&PRODUCTSEARCH= if anybody's interested :)

chubbdarter
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
its kinda a difficult subject every circmstance is dfferent.
yes a glove does do some harm to the fish, but so does extra pressure used by a bare hand to squeeze a fish to control it. its a time sensitive issue also. we do our best to leave them in the water but sometimes hook placement and attitude of the fish require we put on Lindy water proof gloves and just get it done.