PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma Lake

pophouseman
11-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I have never been to Utikuma lake,but we are planning a trip up there hopefully mid-december as long as the weather keeps the ice forming (-35 right now).I suspect if it stays 10 or more below zero we should have 8-12 inches of ice by december 18th. I have a few questions about the lake itself:

-Approx. How long is the drive up there from edmonton, I can see the distance on the map (based on its distance from slave) but how long is it actually going to take on those roads in the winter? Where is the best access to get your truck on the ice?(if even possible)

-The lake is large and shallowish (from what i have read) which should make it decently easy to see the fish down your hole, however moving all your gear once you have set up is never fun. Where am i going to have the best luck for larger pike and burbot?

-Is anyone else planning to hit it this winter?

thanks in advance!!!!

highwood
11-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Plan on around 4 hours from Edmonton with a stop for gas in Slave lake. The lake can be accessed from mile 80 north of Slave as well as 88 (or perhaps 86 near the tower, I cant remember which off the top of my head). Both are lease roads. 80 will take you straight east of the island, however the last km or so is always rutted up. 88 will take yop to the NE corner of the lake near the aforementioned tower and is much smoother and shorter. You commmented on being able to view down the hole: you are correct, Utikuma is a very shallow lake, however it is often very murky. You might luck out, but I wouldnt count on being able to see the bottom in 8 feet of water, however it depends on the given day. Bring your camera or a flasher if you want to be sure. As for areas to fish....honestly, it depends on the day. Although this lake can be extremely productive, it can also be very slow, and the locals know it best. Many people fish it early morning and evening and forget about during the day, however I have had some epic afternoons in Jan/Feb. Popular spots are immediatley w/sw of the 88 entrance, numerous places along the east and southeast shore, the SE point of the large island, as well as north of the large island. However, the fish seem to move around alot, so be prepared to be mobile. If there is enough ice to drive you truck on be careful, the lake is also know for large ice heaves so use extra caution if crossing one. Near dusk, I would recommend north of the island. For species....expect the unexpected. One of the great things about this lake is you truly dont know what is coming out of the hole until you see it. However, if this is your first time here, don't get discouraged if you do poorly, Utikuma is one of the biggest hit and miss lakes in the province. But when she's hot.....lookout.

pophouseman
11-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks, anyone have any honey holes they are willing to give away? PM me if you prefer.

longshot243
11-25-2010, 06:37 PM
it takes a good hour from grouard the fishin is pretty nice over there

longshot243
11-25-2010, 06:39 PM
and the fishing at slave is incredible