PDA

View Full Version : Provost Area Fisherman

CeeZee
11-24-2010, 06:51 AM
I am a bit new to the area, wondering about ice fishing at a few area lakes i see on the map, but dont know if there is fish in any of the following lakes and/or if you have fished it with any or no success and what species:

Hansman Lake
Gillespie Lake
Fleeinghorse Lake
Sounding Lake
Grassy Island/Currant/Misty Lks(SE of Monitor)

If anyone has any input whatsoever on any of these of perhaps others in the area that i haven't mentioned other than Capt Eyre would be very much appreciated if you can spare some info.
Thanks

Bill L
11-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Dillberry Lake PP on hwy 41 NE of town has rainbows and perch. Never ice fished there but have had lots of fun in the summer. There is also the pond in Provost.

TexasTornado
11-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I am a bit new to the area, wondering about ice fishing at a few area lakes i see on the map, but dont know if there is fish in any of the following lakes and/or if you have fished it with any or no success and what species:

Hansman Lake
Gillespie Lake
Fleeinghorse Lake
Sounding Lake
Grassy Island/Currant/Misty Lks(SE of Monitor)

If anyone has any input whatsoever on any of these of perhaps others in the area that i haven't mentioned other than Capt Eyre would be very much appreciated if you can spare some info.
Thanks

All though lakes you mentioned are dried out old sloughs...........Dillberry was always fun, Capt Eyre had it's days. Your best bet is probably driving north a couple hours into that Bonnyville area. There isn't a lot of lakes to fish in and around the Provost area.

AndrewM
11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Clear Lake might be worth while to go to. It's by Edgerton. Pike, Walleye and I believe perch in there.

huntin'fool
11-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Texas has it right, they're all sloughs. Sounding Lake does have some cool history though, neat place to check out. I once found a rock ring that was used around the outside of a teepee when the indians were out there. It was almost unrecognizable, but we cleared some grass and stuff away, and sure enough, almost perfect circle.

Dilberry is fun for trout and perch in March.

hillbillyreefer
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
All are more or less dry. I don't think most of them have had fish in millenia, if ever. There are lots of indian artifacts, and history in the Sounding Lake area. There is lots of history, NWMP barracks site, treaty signing site etc, etc.

CeeZee
11-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I figured there was a pretty good chance those lakes were dry. I have summer and ice fished Arm Lake with success, heard good about clear as well.

So the Fleeinghorse Lake, whats the story with it? Thats the one you can see of the highway south of andruko right? if so its a pretty big water body, what made it? whats in it?

CeeZee
11-26-2010, 06:40 AM
So no one has any more info on the Fleeinghorse Lake?

Bushmaster
11-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Capt. Ayre and Dilberry are both still fished for trout.....Clear Lake has walleye and pike but 0 limit, for walleyes anyways.

I don't know the history of Fleeinghorse but I do know the town sewer is dumped there, after going thru all the ponds. But no fish. Hansman Lake had pike in it for a few years but the water level receded until it was no longer viable.

I gave up on fishing in this area and usually travel north into Sask for my fishing adventures.

CeeZee
11-26-2010, 07:13 AM
oh thats why that Fleeinghorse is so big, Provostians are so full of ***t lmao. JK

I have good luck at Capt Eyre, just looking for more lakes to fish(that one is a lil close to the inlaws) I am thinking that Clear access can get tricky thats why i havent gone on there, heard good about shuster lately as well. Looks like i will have to start some travels for good fishing i guess, It would be nice to not have to drive hours for good fishing. Not used to it!
Building a shack on wheels this year so it will be easier to go out for a drive and stay the night at the lake and fish it twice for one drive.
Thanks Guys!
Good info for newbies like me!

Overdrawn
11-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Capt. Ayre has some huge trout, nice clear lake. Must be spring fed.