PDA

View Full Version : Goals for hard water season

aulrich
11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
1. I will get whitefish darnit all
2. I will fish Newel or McGregor or Travers or all three I am open to sugesstions if one is better for goal 1.
3. Get all three of my boys out more than once, maybe wifey dearest too.
4. Be out at Spray once with lines in the water at daybreak not an hour after.
5. Win the Pine lake derby :)

nicemustang
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
1. I will get whitefish darnit all
2. I will fish Newel or McGregor or Travers or all three I am open to sugesstions if one is better for goal 1.
3. Get all three of my boys out more than once, maybe wifey dearest too.
4. Be out at Spray once with lines in the water at daybreak not an hour after.
5. Win the Pine lake derby :)

1. You should be able to do that NP. Mcgregor or travers is a good bet, PM me for spots if you need it. Syvlan or gull is good too. Second week of Dec to xmas is prime time until march.
2. Travers IMO is the best for ice fishing. Lots of pike at the flat by the provincial park all winter long.

As for me?

1. Not fall through the ice, always a good goal.
2. Fill my tags at pigeon.
3. Catch a 10+ lb fish from spray again, last one was a bull but want a nice laker (yet to get a big laker but i think this is the year)
4. Like every year...find where the F the walleye are in travers.
5. Trip to Lesser Slave lake for a weekend on the ice.

pikester
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
For me;

1- Actually get on a lake at first ice instead of just thinking real hard about it lol.

2- Get into the whities & perch more consistantly this ice season.

3- Land a keeper sized laker from Spray!

Realistically obtainable goals I think ;)

jts1
11-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Only goal for me this hardwater season. And that fish big enough for the wall. And Not to lose my ugly stick down a hole again "Thanks Sandalius. Still think that was sabotage"

hockey1099
11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
1. Catch a walleye, perch, burb, pike and a white fish all on the same trip.
2. Catch a 13" plus perch
3. Catch a Pike that i need to drill two hole to get it out of the ice.
4. Fish 3 weekends a month min.

Fishfinder
11-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Well this is only my second year on the hardwater so I have a ton of goals but to keep within the realms of reality I suppose my top 5 would be:

1-Catch anything other than perch or trout (was all I fished for last year)
2-Invest in tent (reckon this is a must with these nasty Southern AB winds)
3-Try a bunch of different techniques (which I've learned from this forum - Thanx all:))
4-Get at least 2 friends/family members that haven't tried icefishing out on the hardwater.
5-Not stand up Wayne if we get a chance to get out there together haha.

Yet to get out grrr, too much work and not enough fish makes this boy just wish wish wish!!!

Cheers n GL All!

aulrich
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I need to add that I will pursuing my goal is relative comfort, The costco tent came home yesterday(I got a nice wife).

Holy cow it's huge we set it up in the basment and we had to use the doors to move around. It was simple to set up, but we will see how easy it is to get back into the bag.

mooseknuckle
11-25-2010, 09:35 AM
To drop a $800 dollar phone through the ice!! Oh wait I did that yesterday!

I can tell you the trout don't bite on the Ilure4. Just trust me on that.:angry3:

kinwahkly
11-25-2010, 10:13 AM
To Get my $80 rod and reel from Newell and the fish who took it down the hole!!!!! last year

highwood
11-25-2010, 11:07 AM

I can tell you the trout don't bite on the Ilure4. Just trust me on that.:angry3:

I'm not sure what's worse; the fact that you dropped your 800 dollar phone down the hole or the fact that you have an 800 dollar phone to begin with!

Braun
11-25-2010, 11:20 AM
1. not fall through the ice
2. catch a 10+lb laker from spray before mustang (haha)
3. catch a 10+lb pike
4. not lose any gear through the ice
5. 1 weekend trip up north somewhere for something big

mooseknuckle
11-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure what's worse; the fact that you dropped your 800 dollar phone down the hole or the fact that you have an 800 dollar phone to begin with!

I don't like contracts so I or should I say my comapny buys the phones out right!! No loss from my pocket and I already got cash from the company for a new $800 phone. And some dummy strings so I don't drop another one. LOL

Not to get off track.

My goal 20+ pike through the ice!!

FishBrain
11-25-2010, 12:10 PM
1. catch my first ice white fish
2. catch my first ice perch
3. fill pigeon tags
4. catch the monster that broke my line at Spray last year
5. have my kids (3) land a fish on the ice. 2 have done it now I hope that boy does too
6. get out as much as humanly possible!!!!!!!

Guitarplayingfish
11-25-2010, 12:26 PM
1. Catch first whitefish through the ice - COMPLETED

2. Catch a 20lb+ pike through the ice

3. catch my first walleye through the ice

4. Catch a 5lb+ Rainbow or brown

5. Not fall through the ice again

6. Catch first burbot through the ice

7. Staying overnight at least a couple times in the shack Im building

8. HAVE FUN DOING ALL THIS!!! :bad_boys_20:

fish-slaughter
11-25-2010, 06:03 PM
1.Hit up newell & kehoe (2x each)

2.Catch a laker/pike for the wall

3.Walleye thru the ice

4.Enter some derbies (never really know where n when they go down)

5.learn new techniques

6.catch some perch that aren't micro hasse perch <--(how do they even fit the hook in their mouthes)

jacenbeers
11-25-2010, 06:07 PM
1. Catch a perch through the ice as I have only caught them in Summer.
2. Catch a whitefish on Saturday at McGregor.
3. Catch a nice burbot from any lake
4. Catch a nice laker from Spray.
5. Pull out a huge pike from any body of water.

WayneChristie
11-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Thats funny. Wife dropped her digital cam down the hole this last weekend. Figured she would get that out of the way first trip so the rest of the season she should be ok .
My goals are fish at least twice a week. Ice a 30 pound plus pike 3 or 4 times this season, (Look out Dr D ) Whitefish, big perch, maybe a wally, and I want to do some all nighters for burbs this winter and catch one over 10 pounds. Plus land a 10 pound plus pike on the marmish rod, so far my biggest with that was only 2 or 3 pounds. And beat my best of 16 pike in one day through the ice.

Newandhooked
11-25-2010, 06:20 PM
My goal is to ICE FISH FOR THE FIRST TIME! Lol I'd like to catch anything at all, and not falling through the ice is always a good one.

npauls
11-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Catch whitefish through the ice for the first time

Catch lakers through the ice for the first time.

Make more of an effort to hunt for a 30+lbs pike through the ice.

Get into the schools of walleyes around southern alberta more this winter.

Get my personal best perch.

Focus more on brookies and browns then rainbows.

Get out for a couple late night trips to pine coulee.

Nate

WayneChristie
11-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Nate you will have to scratch off the late night PCR one they changed the regs, its closed at night now :angry3:

WayneChristie
11-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I need to add that I will pursuing my goal is relative comfort, The costco tent came home yesterday(I got a nice wife).

Holy cow it's huge we set it up in the basment and we had to use the doors to move around. It was simple to set up, but we will see how easy it is to get back into the bag.

mine came with 8 good ice anchors, but I would hit up Crappy Tire of one of the fishing stores and pick up a few more, there will be times when you want an anchor in every spot for them, the wind can get bad even if the day starts out calm. There were times even with my small 2 man and 8 anchors in I was worried I was going to sail away.

npauls
11-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey wayne isn't it only closed for open water season? I thought I read somewhere that ice fishing season you could go all night. I could very well be wrong but I thought that is what I read somewhere.

Nate

Edit:

I just read the regs and it is open 24hours from dec. 1st to march 31st. So we are good to go for some night time burbs wayne.

Nate

nicemustang
11-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Yep, open on ice Dec 1 - March 31.

hard_azz
11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
1. hopefully pull up a perch 12"+

2. make more of an effort on whitefish (after i get some kind of smoker)

3. ice a early season brookie over 3lbs (DONE!!)

4. catch a walleye over 5lbs (never had a walleye thru the ice)

5. fish a new lake and have a good multi species day

6. get the girlfriend into more then just perch (only thing i have been able to get her into is perch on gull)

WayneChristie
11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Awesome, its a good spot for night fishing. Long drive but I will be doing it a couple times Im sure. Good way to cap off a day at that pike lake too.

npauls
11-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey wayne we can make a trip to a spot where I know there is 30 lbs pike lurking during the day and then head to pcr for a good night bite.

I have a feeling it is going to be a really good ice season for me this year.

I will be heading out to try and scratch whitefish and a monster perch off of the list this weekend and also maybe some browns and brookies.

Nate

mikelikefish
11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
1 stay ontop of the ice all day

2 no more lures unless waynechristie wants to share

3 catch the fish I'm after lol

4 more time at my favorite holes

5 take in a fishing Derby or two

MasterBaitor
11-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Anyone been out on the ice yet? Or it it even completely covered?

Guitarplayingfish
11-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone been out on the ice yet? Or it it even completely covered?

?? Lots of posts of people who have been out. I've been out twice now, on 2.5-3 inches of ice. The wind in Southern Alberta opened up a ton of water, and it is kind of sketchy. Still managed to pull out 8 whitefish yesterday, average 3lb. Lot of people have been catching brookies lately too. Just be safe if your going out, I didnt go out farther than 10feet from shore because of ice quality.

MasterBaitor
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Where did you go out? Around Jousard? Or The Narrows?

TRUCKER JON
11-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone. Been a long time since I've been in here. Too busy drivin'. My goal this year is to actually get out more than once :sad0020:

But most of all...just have a good time, try to catch a fish or two, and enjoy the great outdoors.

Tight lines everyone, and be safe out there.

aulrich
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up Wayne I had forgotten even to inventory what came with the tent. I already have a few but i'll make sure i'll have an anchor for every spot possible.