PDA

View Full Version : Back Pack Fly fishing trip

ccg818
11-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I am going to try to do a few 2-3 day hiking/fly fishing trips next year and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good backpack as well as the other gear that is needed to do something like this(tent,sleeping bag etc). Thanks a bunch

mikeym
11-26-2010, 01:46 PM
i would suggest going to a place like Campers Village or Mountain Equipment Co-op and trying on a variety of packs till you find the one that fits you the best. lots of packs out there and depending on your body structure some are going to fit better then others.

as far as the rest of equipment, get the lightest weighing stuff you can. it usually costs more, but a huge difference in lugging around 100lbs of stuff compared to 60 lbs of the same stuff for 2 days up steep inclines. lots of nice lightweight mummy bags out there that will keep you warm on most summer nights.

and another hint. STAY AWAY FROM THE DEHYDRATED MEALS THEY SELL AT THE CAMPING STORES. not only are they overpriced, but you will find more taste and texture by eating dirt then in one of those packs. i usually took instant noodles, instant rice or instant pasta dinners (as long as they just needed water and not milk and butter) for meals. a lot cheaper and better tasting.

have fun and good luck

Mike

Whalley
11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi, Lillian lake in k- country is alwas fun, there's 19 sites. It's 6 km or so and your right on the lake( I was up there a few times this year) 1km from Lillian there's another lake called galatea, the lower one has lots of cutts more than Lillian! There is two fire pits and wood, I think the trail head is about 10km south of the golf course on hwy 40. Lite tent, sleeping bag, SCOTCH and your flyrod and/or spin cast. Oh MOST people going to galatea get up there and take pictures then leave! Hope this helps a little.