PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a perch!

RUBBERDUCKY
11-25-2010, 03:13 PM
I have never seen someone do this before, it's amazing! has anyone here tried this before??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0&feature=related

Typical
11-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I am from down east, I have been cleaning my perch like the video for the past 40 years. I never knew any other way. When I first came to Alberta in 1972 people were amazed when they see me clean perch.

It's the only way, no lost of meat what so ever. Once cooked theres only one bone to take out.

Big Red 250
11-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I do mine pretty much the same as that, with a couple of slightly different moves, but the end result is the same. I've never done a perch that small as I have a minimum length that I stay over.

nicemustang
11-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah it's been posted a bunch of times here, but always worth a repost for all the new peeps.

hard_azz
11-25-2010, 05:35 PM
i saw that exact sam video a year ago when i caught a bunch of perch and wanted to find a quick way to clean them... it works awesome! way faster then trying fillet the little buggers

Newandhooked
11-25-2010, 06:27 PM
^ New peep says thanks!!!!!! I saw this video once but I had no idea it was a common practice... here's hoping I someday catch a perch and try it out!!!! :-D

slimjim
11-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for posting, never seen that before, am going to try that out on Saturday, after a day on Cow Lake. Thanks again- Slim

mudbug
11-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Now that's slick, thanks for posting that :sHa_shakeshout:

SCRUB
11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Clean perch that way every time....it is a great way to do it.

Sundancefisher
11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah it's been posted a bunch of times here, but always worth a repost for all the new peeps.

It sure has. Depending upon how many you have to do...just filleting and then cutting the rib cage out saves a bit of time and is boneless. I can do 2 perch a minute filleting now.

The other method...definitely takes skill which I don't possess to do it quick. Also you need the right short sharp knife and fairly dry hands (once slippery is very hard to properly control the perch) and your hands can't be cold.

Otherwise...if you don't mind bones you really don't lose any meat with the 10 second method.

Kim473
11-26-2010, 03:56 AM
I fillet mine boneless always. Guess you all don't catch them big enough where you fish at.

MeYammy
11-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Oye. I think back to all the time I fiddled away in the garage filleting those things.... What a great video! Thanks for posting.

Albertafisher
11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
I tried that method once, and when I cooked the perch with the bones, it gave the fillet a bad taste. So now I just cut as close to the bone as possible. In the end it yields basically the same amount of meat (give or take a few bones swallowed).

bunnyhunter
11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
I always use this method! works great, I never found any off taste from the bones, just make sure you remove the dark kidney line. I fry them up until they are crisp and eat them right off the bone like a little trout.
yes its best for smaller perch. of course you could use it as a good gutting and skinning method, then fillet.