PDA

View Full Version : My First Burb!!

DustDee
11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I caught my first Burbot today!! I was fishing at Park Lake (near Lethbridge) and wasn't expecting to catch a Burb, so it was a double woo hoo! I didn't realize that there were burb's in there.

About 27-28 inches long. Don't know how much it weighed cause I don't have a scale. Cooked up half of it tonight and it tasted amazing.

Here's some picture, I hope they work.

http://www.dustydee.com/images/DSCF3378.JPG

http://www.dustydee.com/images/DSCF3380.JPG

http://www.dustydee.com/images/DSCF3381.JPG

http://www.dustydee.com/images/DSCF3382.JPG

Albertafisher
11-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Congrats! I still need to catch my first Burbot too haha!

DustDee
11-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry the first pic didn't get rotated. You can turn your head sideways.

Dusty

KegRiver
11-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats on the first catch.

They are a much underrated fish IMO. I suppose because they don't fight so much as just pull. And they can pull. Like no other fish I know.
Maybe some people don't like the looks of them, but the way I figure it, I want to eat the thing, not kiss it.

Another possible reason for their low rating is that the best fishing strategy for catching them is to drop a baited hook on the bottom and then wait, and wait, and wait. Sometimes for days.

We used to catch them on what we called set lines. Which are no longer legal.
We were just boys then and poor at that. So what we would do, is take some heavy string, like chalk line, tie it around a large rock or a log, on the river bank.
At the other end we tied on a large single hook baited with chicken gizzard.
Next we tied a small rock (weight) a few inches from the baited hook, and then heaved the whole thing (baited hook and weight) as far out in the water as we could get it. Then we would go home or use a more convention rig for the rest of the day. Late in the evening and again next morning we would check our set lines. As often as not, overnight we had caught a Burbot, which we call Ling back then.
My dad hated them. When he spoke of them his voice carried a deep contempt for them and his favorite name of them was Black Maria
But he would eat them and seem to like eating them. The rest of us loved eating them.

KegRiver
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I forgot to say, great pictures. Very well done in fact.

I love the look on the youngins face, all curiosity!
The measuring tape is a nice touch. Overall, a very good job!!

MoFugger21
11-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Nice fish DustDee!

Fished Park Lake lots this summer, I didn't know 'ling' were in that lake either. Wonder if it's just a few ling and a few walleye making their way thru the canal system.... Hmmmm, might spend some time this winter seeing what kind of 'surprise' fish I can catch out there, lol.

Anyways... Beauty fish sir!

jacenbeers
11-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Nice job that is awesome. These fish have always eluded me and I am making it a point to hunt one down or die trying this Winter.

Gust
11-27-2010, 07:56 PM
The most underated fish,, next time you catch one, fry the liver, unbeleivable taste.

I was just having a chat with a friend on how they were considered a dirty fish and thinking that F&W should bring the limit number down, as even a small burb has a lot of meat on it.

Yours is really nice and fat.

Geezle
11-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Congrats on the first burb! :sHa_shakeshout:

Hugo
11-27-2010, 11:22 PM
To DustDee
You did right when take that fish. Most fishers don't know how catch that burbot and don't know, when that it's taste like delicacy. CONGRATULATION
:sHa_shakeshout:

marlin1
11-28-2010, 09:47 AM
nice burb , looks like about 4 or 5 pounder , nothing wrong with that one , good job

outdoors forever
11-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Ugly as can be, but delicious!
We get a lot of em here on Lesser Slave.
Congrats on your first one!

ice
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Congrats on the first catch.

They are a much underrated fish IMO. I suppose because they don't fight so much as just pull. And they can pull. Like no other fish I know.
Maybe some people don't like the looks of them, but the way I figure it, I want to eat the thing, not kiss it.

Another possible reason for their low rating is that the best fishing strategy for catching them is to drop a baited hook on the bottom and then wait, and wait, and wait. Sometimes for days.

We used to catch them on what we called set lines. Which are no longer legal.
We were just boys then and poor at that. So what we would do, is take some heavy string, like chalk line, tie it around a large rock or a log, on the river bank.
At the other end we tied on a large single hook baited with chicken gizzard.
Next we tied a small rock (weight) a few inches from the baited hook, and then heaved the whole thing (baited hook and weight) as far out in the water as we could get it. Then we would go home or use a more convention rig for the rest of the day. Late in the evening and again next morning we would check our set lines. As often as not, overnight we had caught a Burbot, which we call Ling back then.
My dad hated them. When he spoke of them his voice carried a deep contempt for them and his favorite name of them was Black Maria
But he would eat them and seem to like eating them. The rest of us loved eating them.

Yep Mariah.
I Know Guys That Have been fishing for 20 years. and still cant stand to touch One.
Not many people like getting them on the end of their lines.
Not Many People Like Seeing them.
But Godamn.
You Throw it nicely cooked on their plate.
Definatly not going to turn it down!