PDA

View Full Version : Hasse

Geezle
11-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, I don't think Hasse will really be worth fishing for at least another week or two.

Went out there with ghostguy today and we were severely let down. First off, the ice is still really sketchy. Up to 5" near shore, but it gets thin fast...we stopped working our way out after we got to around 3". There were some very wet looking spots on the ice as well. We picked a spot that looked safe enough and set up the tent, but after maybe 20 minutes in there we were standing in at least an inch of water, so we decided to move and spread ourselves out.

All in all, there were a handful of micro perch, but not enough to really keep a guy entertained for the day. Maybe in a couple weeks when the ice is better and you can safely get out a little farther it'll be a little more worthwhile.

Fair bit of snow on the lake, so it may take a while for the ice to really thicken like it needs to.

Garry B
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that report. Just by reading the other ice reports on different lakes I am surprised that Hasse is in the state it is. I wonder if it might be sheltered and snow is accumulating more on it? Snow insulating and stopping freezing and then compressing the ice causing flooding? The lake Wayne has been posting pictures of seems free of surface snow and looks like decent ice. Come on Hasse! Freeze already! :)

Geezle
11-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for that report. Just by reading the other ice reports on different lakes I am surprised that Hasse is in the state it is. I wonder if it might be sheltered and snow is accumulating more on it? Snow insulating and stopping freezing and then compressing the ice causing flooding? The lake Wayne has been posting pictures of seems free of surface snow and looks like decent ice. Come on Hasse! Freeze already! :)

I don't know, but there's definitely a fair bit more snow on Hasse than there is on Chickacoo or Sauer. The snow's insulating the ice and keeping it thin, and pushing it down so it floods. Holes were overflowing as soon as they were drilled.

Going to have to do some more exploring next weekend perhaps :)

Garry B
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jay. Really good description. I guess patience is the word of the day for now. Best regards.

trkrstu
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I went to test the waters at a few places I started at jackfish lake and it's a good thickness of 8 to 9 inches of ice that is nice black ice. I watched two different snowmobiles driving around. They didn't go slow but they were out there. I checked out star lake as well and it was 8 to 9 as well but the top part of the ice was a touch white about 2 inches of it. I didn't venture out too far on the waters on both lakes, but someone did by the tracks that were out there. Star lake had a couple people playing around on there quads on the ice, spinning in place on the ice. I went to but didn't drill any holes at hasse lake but there are a few holes that were done and the water near shore was looking strong I walked around and didn't get wet feet or hear any noise from the ice. I will be going to devils lake and maybe check out lessard lake next weekend.

sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on.
good times on your lake.

Willowtrail
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I went to test the waters at a few places I started at jackfish lake and it's a good thickness of 8 to 9 inches of ice that is nice black ice. I watched two different snowmobiles driving around. They didn't go slow but they were out there. I checked out star lake as well and it was 8 to 9 as well but the top part of the ice was a touch white about 2 inches of it. I didn't venture out too far on the waters on both lakes, but someone did by the tracks that were out there. Star lake had a couple people playing around on there quads on the ice, spinning in place on the ice. I went to but didn't drill any holes at hasse lake but there are a few holes that were done and the water near shore was looking strong I walked around and didn't get wet feet or hear any noise from the ice. I will be going to devils lake and maybe check out lessard lake next weekend.

good times on your lake.

Thanks for the update

Garry B
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
good times on your lake.

No rambling - good info. Thanks!