PDA

View Full Version : costco tents

Map Maker
11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
any problems with the costco tents yet?

I hate the colour and i am a diehard frabill fan but all the bad press with frabill's hubs/Eastman poles is making me think about going with the costco tent.

Willowtrail
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I got the Blue 3 man from the store not online and used only once. So far so good. The great thing about Costco is you got a year to return it if anything happens.

FOTW
11-29-2010, 10:05 PM

I hate the colour and i am a diehard frabill fan but all the bad press with frabill's hubs/Eastman poles is making me think about going with the costco tent.

Where did you read bad press? Is there a review site for Ice fishing shacks I can check out?

horsetrader
11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Where did you read bad press? Is there a review site for Ice fishing shacks I can check out?

If you search frabill tent problems you will see some concerns sould be able to do the same to all shacks

FishingFrenzy
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
I got one of the blue 3 mans that you can buy in-store, today. Havent used it yet obviously but i set it up and it seems great! VERY dark inside, i shined my Princeton-tec LED headlamp on the outside (pressed it right against the fabric) and i could not see any of the light thru. Its the perfect size for me, 2 guys easy and a third if nessecary. In store I went through the whole tent looking for downside and didnt find much of anything! The stiching seems good, window closures, etc..

Overall VERY happy with it!

Now to come up with some sort of good alcohol heater.....

Tight lines! A better review of the tent, when i get out and use it too come..!

Map Maker
11-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I got the Blue 3 man from the store not online and used only once. So far so good. The great thing about Costco is you got a year to return it if anything happens.

yeah, thats true.
usually you can bring it back no questions asked.

i never heard of the Blue. ill have to go check it out.

hockey1099
11-30-2010, 12:49 AM
I have the 6 man tent. Its dark inside but the window flaps dont seal tight enough so i am going to add a little more velcro. The bag it comes with is a little small. I had to take my tent home and let it warm up before i could get it back in the bag. While warm and free of ice it fit in pretty easily i was surprised. Its a better tent than my 3 man eskimo and my eskimo is a really good tent.

The skirt is also a little short. But it does the job. If you shovel snow around it it will seal just fine.

Photoplex
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
The skirt is also a little short.

Not often those words are used in a negative way!

grice
11-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Lmao

DarkAisling
11-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Check out the Eskimo Quickfish Tents. I haven't used my 6-man yet, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

The bag is cool: some sort of stretchy material. At first I was confused about this, until I carried the tent on my back with the padded shoulder straps. It is so much more comfortable to carry than my Headquarters was. Also, the positioning of the straps means you're not getting banged in the back of the knees by the tent when you have it on your back (that was really annoying with the Frabill). And, it is red. The anchors look like they're going to suck, though.

I had a Frabill that fell apart last year, and it was very disappointing.

WayneChristie
11-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Ive used my costco 6 man a couple times now, same comment about the windows, they need to seal around the edges better. also have a couple cracked clear panes, going to ask them for replacements, but thats no biggie, I dont use the windows much anyways. Very simple to set up, just pull up the roof panels then pull out the sides. If you need better ice anchors I picked some up at C tire that work ok, dont have the cutting groove but they seen to go in ok. A ton of room, and good heavy material. ugly as sin too, but easy to see on the ice.

aulrich
11-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I have the costco tent as well and I was impressed with how easy it went up and came down, it takes some stuffing to get it back in the bag but it also has a built in compression strap that helps a ton. My hunting blind is harder by a long shot it needs a twist to get the thing folded up properly.

I will be posting on the costco site that the skirt is not as shown and is too short. Though I cannot pesonally comment , I suspect short skirts and cold winds don't mix well :).

Photoplex
11-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I suspect short skirts and cold winds don't mix well :).

Although short skirts and strong winds are greatly appreciated!

billycap
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
clear plastic window broke 2nd use... a few dead spots in the door zippers and the damn thing wont ever fit back in the bag after youve set up in the cold.. am using a few bungee cords to keep it together...over night use even with a floor is not recomended cause if it snows outside it pours inside... and i mean like a rainforest.. mostly around the middle edges. used it many times already and all i have to say "sure is big" but it kind of sucks.

slimjim
11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I love short skirts on windy days, and I like my 3 man tent from Costco, because its $100 cheaper than the one at Wallmart.

Deb
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Are the Costco tents everyone's talking about the orange Equinox Fish Inn tents?

I just ordered one last night (online) for $300, should be delivered in a week or two. 600 denier, equivalent (at least as fabric is concerned) to the Clam, I think (Frabill Headquarters is 300 denier, if I recall correctly.) (Ordered the 4-6 person tent, our Ice Cube is a little too cramped.)

Here's a link with pics: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10341870&hierPath=111*22211*22229*&whse=BCCA&topnav=&Browse=&lang=en-CA

Willowtrail
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Was at Costco in Sherwood park today.
3 Man Blue tent still in stock. Probably about 15 - 20 left if you want to get your hands on one. Still $164.99

Joe Fehr
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Just spent the day in a 6 man costco tent. 3 guys 6 rods all the gear and it was beauty tons of room, set up and came down easy. Windows do need to be sealed better though. We even managed to get it back in the bag at the end of the day.

WayneChristie
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Are the Costco tents everyone's talking about the orange Equinox Fish Inn tents?

I just ordered one last night (online) for $300, should be delivered in a week or two. 600 denier, equivalent (at least as fabric is concerned) to the Clam, I think (Frabill Headquarters is 300 denier, if I recall correctly.) (Ordered the 4-6 person tent, our Ice Cube is a little too cramped.)

Here's a link with pics: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10341870&hierPath=111*22211*22229*&whse=BCCA&topnav=&Browse=&lang=en-CA

thats the critter, the Great Pumpkin.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/46189/2284598990106727962S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2284598990106727962FzkHUp)

Actually unless the roof is insulated all the 6 mans are going to have a lot of condensation inside, I remember a Frabill last winter that had a nice waterfall in the midsection. So far mine hasnt been too bad, only one sunflower in it tho, the frabil had one plus a little buddy going, and 4 people. And when JTS1 loses a fish theres a whole lot of extra hot air to melt the ice too :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Deb
12-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Wayne. There's usually only two of us and a Big Buddy, so the condensation shouldn't be too bad. Heck, now there may even be room for the dogs .. ahh, the sweet smell of wet dog *lol*

We'd originally thought about buying the Frabill Headquarters because the Basspro Canada site has it advertised for $239.00 ... until you read that the price is in US dollars, shipping is extra, duty is extra, etc. The Clam Command Post doesn't look like it's carried locally (although TFH carries Clams, I couldn't find the big tent on their site ... and who knows about WS), but it was considerably more expensive on the sites I found.

I figure that over the years we've ****ed away more on less, so the Costco tent wins. (For those who're interested, it totals $314.99 including GST and "free" shipping.)

Can't wait!

goober
12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
thats the critter, the Great Pumpkin.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/46189/2284598990106727962S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2284598990106727962FzkHUp)

Actually unless the roof is insulated all the 6 mans are going to have a lot of condensation inside, I remember a Frabill last winter that had a nice waterfall in the midsection. So far mine hasnt been too bad, only one sunflower in it tho, the frabil had one plus a little buddy going, and 4 people. And when JTS1 loses a fish theres a whole lot of extra hot air to melt the ice too :sHa_sarcasticlol:

What tips can you offer on setting these up Wayne??? Tried setting mine up in the back yard and failed miserably!!!:angry3: Got so frustrated I quit!! I am planning on giving it a go again tomorrow though.:sHa_shakeshout:

hockey1099
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
What tips can you offer on setting these up Wayne??? Tried setting mine up in the back yard and failed miserably!!!:angry3: Got so frustrated I quit!! I am planning on giving it a go again tomorrow though.:sHa_shakeshout:

Your kidding right?

If not pull out the two blue/grey panels first ie the roof. Then go one of the sides on the end and pull it out. then go to the opposite side and pull it out. Then pull out the middle panels in a similar order. It should take one man less than 60 seconds and two less than 30

Willowtrail
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Used my Blue Costco tent "Kingfisher 3" 4 times now over the last week and a half. Its been great. Window covers work good, no need to modify and packs and unpacks easy. Setup is a breeze. If your thinking about one of these tents I recommend them, just hurry and get one before they're gone. You know how Costco is. One day they have 50, the next day theres none and no more coming.

Mayhem
12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Used my Blue Costco tent "Kingfisher 3" 4 times now over the last week and a half. Its been great. Window covers work good, no need to modify and packs and unpacks easy. Setup is a breeze. If your thinking about one of these tents I recommend them, just hurry and get one before they're gone. You know how Costco is. One day they have 50, the next day theres none and no more coming.

Just picked one up today at the SS location, lot of people eyeing them up. They had one set up in the store..seems decent sized and I can actually stand up in it. There is still a dozen or so left. Looking foreward to trying it out next weekend...

Overdrawn
12-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Look for vidoes on you-tube I seen some there on simular models.