PDA

View Full Version : Macgregor today

AK47
11-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Got to love Mondays. Arrived at lake at 12 pm, 3 fishing buddies only, while friends who fished Sunday counted ~40. Anywhere you look down the holes you could see schools of whitefish swimming, but none wanted to eat anything. Must be when they have sex in mind food is not important :). Quite frustrating fishing for couple hours and then around 3 pm their mood changed and I got 6 ( 3 nice fat females - biggest was 4 lbs)) in an 1.5hr or so and called it a day. Had many hits, lost quite a few nice ones as well.
http://i53.tinypic.com/1yph6u.jpg

Whalley
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Very nice:sHa_shakeshout: Gonna smoke the white fish??

slingshotz
11-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Nice fish, I want to try the lake during the weekday but I'll have to pull a sickie at some point... Was there still that huge bit of dodgy ice 2 feet from the rocks?

Hope you keep the roe, I made golden caviar out of the one female I got and it is amazing. I do feel a little guilty keeping a female but I never noticed until I got home. With the scores of people out on the lake on Sat, I hope the whitefish population can handle it. Not a rant, just hoping the biologists are on top of things with the regs to ensure the future of the fishery there.

cujo1969
11-30-2010, 01:06 AM
No worry theres alots whitefish in mcgregor. They took out 100000 lbs in comm fishery

huntsfurfish
11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
"I do feel a little guilty keeping a female "

No need to, no different than if you kept that fish back in May or Sept.

AK47
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
well, I believe we catch just very small % of what is down there.... as I said it is huge schools swimming and spawning and it is only one spot of the lake. I never take any whitefish form there except this time of the year so I do not feel guilty at all. And yes their roe is delicious.

AK47
11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Was there still that huge bit of dodgy ice 2 feet from the rocks?

There was in spots, but there were quite a few areas where you can walk safely from the rocks. Ice 10-12 ft from the rocks is about good 7-8 inches. It was -20 there compared to -12 in Calgary.