PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use slip bobbers for...

BEL
11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Anyone use slip bobbers for icefishing. I guess most people sight fish, but I was thinking of using them icefishing this year for perch and whitefish. I was wondering how to use them, ie size of bobber, weight of line, etc. Thanks BEL

75ft Arborist
11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Slip bobbers are good because you can keep the same depth. They are better used inside to avoid freezing, the size decides on how much weight you have on your line. If the bobber sinks, its too small, if it lies flat its too big. I prefer hi-vis orange/yellow foam round bobbers and just fold the line before i clip the float on. That way when i get a hit, one quick jerk and the float comes off the line.

AK47
11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
as you do not need to cast it and it will be infront of your eyes use as little bobbers and weights as possible.

madatter
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I use slip bobbers for everything I fish for....from trout to pike.
Size of the bobber really depends on the type of fish and the bait you are using.
For perch,trout and walleye I usually use the pencil thin ones,very sensitive.
Pike I use medium large ones,big enough to float while still using a larger bait like a smelt.
Between bait weight and split shot added it takes a little experimentation to find the perfect combos.
They can be a bit of a pain on colder days in deep water but to me it is worth the hassle to see the small nibbles that would otherwise go unnoticed.I can't sit in a hut for extended periods due to back issues and don't use a camera.
I used to use nothing but windlass tip ups on pike but now find it more enjoyable to hook them on an actual rod.

Slowfish
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm planing to use bobbers this winter. Never use them, but I seen people caching a lot of fish with them. It is difficult to change the old habits, but I'll try. There is always good to challenge yourself with new things.:fighting0074:

jts1
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I use them as well when ice fishing for everything. Lets me maintain and change depths with way more controll.

horsetrader
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I use them both ice and open water good for constant depth control
prefer slip bobbers over normal bobbers

BEL
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Do any of you use them for deeper water whitefish? If so, give me the details on what to use and how, please. BEL