PDA

View Full Version : Icefishing Abraham Lake in Nordegg

Albertafisher
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately about icefishing certain lakes, and all the help has been great!
But now I have my eyes set on another lake; Abraham Lake, just west of Nordegg..
Has anyone ever icefished there and caught anything..? If you've noticed I've been looking for a good "mountain lake" (but not spray lakes) for catching trout in the winter. If Abraham Lake is bad, any other suggestions for a mountain lake that is open in the winter? Is it hard to catch fish in Abraham since there is a bait ban?

Thanks again!

SkytopBrewster
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
It's a reservoir so probably not safe on the ice.

Albertafisher
11-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I have heard that it is safe to walk on...

hunter49
11-30-2010, 08:41 PM
No offense, but what happened to the good old days of trying lakes and figuring out if they are good or not? Chances are if the lake is posted on the forums, it either isnt good or is declining at a rapid pace. Get out there, explore and have some fun when you find a gem for yourself!

hauchk
11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
I would check with the nearest Fish'n Wildlife folks...that would be your best bet for decent info. especially on the safety side of things!

Albertafisher
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Alright, thanks guys!

greylynx
12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Phone up the forestry office in Nordegg.

Free of charge phone number using 310-0000 and ask for the Nordegg forestry station.

I also use this number to contact fisheries techs. in the various regions on things like stream height, clarity etc.

sheepguide
12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Cant see it being very safe to fish with the fluctuations in the water level but not sure. Dont think ill be heading out on it!
SG