PDA

View Full Version : line advice

brohymn2
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
wife bought me a pop up tent and a new ice fishing rod, but the guy at the fishin hole gave her some berkley triline xl smooth casting in 8 lbs test. is this good line for ice fishing? i plan on fishing for trout walleyes whitefish and pike, actually lets just say anything that swims, any feedback is much appreciated

New Hunter Okotoks
11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
I think that line is probably okay for trout and whitefish smallish walleye etc.

For pike I use 45lb braided black line. I keep separate rods/tipups for pike and then for trout I use the lighter stuff.

I would like to target whitefish this year.I just have to learn how!

npauls
11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
on my perch rods I have 4lbs braid

on my trout and walleye rods I have 6lbs braid.

and on my pike and lake trout rods I have 10lbs braid.

With all my rods I use a barrel swivel with a couple feet of fluoro as a leader. I have yet to have a problem with any of these set ups.

Nate

nicemustang
11-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes that line will be fine. A tip: Once you spool, soak the spool in hot hot water for a few minutes. Take your spool off your reel before you do this. This gets rid of the memory in the line and help it be a little more pain free.

Braun
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM
on my perch rods I have 4lbs braid

on my trout and walleye rods I have 6lbs braid.

and on my pike and lake trout rods I have 10lbs braid.

With all my rods I use a barrel swivel with a couple feet of fluoro as a leader. I have yet to have a problem with any of these set ups.

Nate

Nate, i am shocked you use such light lines. i do get that the fish you are fishing for,the weight of your lines correspond. but with your pike and laker rods, why not use something a little heavier just in case you hook into a big one. with the diameter of the line being so thin in comparison to mono or flouro, your not really loosing much to visibility

npauls
11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
I have always been a light tackle type fisherman braun. The sensitivity is alot better with the thinner lines and its just something I am use to. I have fought some pretty big fish on pretty lite lines. My fishing partner bob has caught a few big pike while I have been around through the ice and open water with 4lbs braid. I don't think I have had a fish bite me off or break me off with braid.

I don't get why guys use 30lbs test for fish that weigh 3 or 4 lbs or even less.

Nate

npauls
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Also forgot to mention that you can fit way more line on a reel if you use lighter lines.

Nate

Braun
11-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I have always been a light tackle type fisherman braun. The sensitivity is alot better with the thinner lines and its just something I am use to. I have fought some pretty big fish on pretty lite lines. My fishing partner bob has caught a few big pike while I have been around through the ice and open water with 4lbs braid. I don't think I have had a fish bite me off or break me off with braid.

I don't get why guys use 30lbs test for fish that weigh 3 or 4 lbs or even less.

Nate

If you have never had one bite through then its all good. but for me ill use heavier lines in rivers cause of bottoms and when i snag i can try to free my gear. but I am looking to set up some lighter line on some of my rods but im not sure if id go as light as 4Lbs

Kim473
12-01-2010, 04:58 AM
I use 4lb fireice for perch and Whites 8lb for pike. You may lose a few but get more hits. Just have to learn to play them a little more so the ice dosnt break your line.

howlin
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes that line will be fine. A tip: Once you spool, soak the spool in hot hot water for a few minutes. Take your spool off your reel before you do this. This gets rid of the memory in the line and help it be a little more pain free.

wow awesome tip thanks for that:happy0180::happy0180: