PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for siding

CeeZee
11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Anyone have any ideas for a cheaper alternative to metal or vinyl or any siding for a large fish cabin?
If you have an idea, rough estimate cost per sq foot

Thanks in advance!

CeeZee
11-30-2010, 09:08 PM
OOPS!!! Wanted this in general discussion, hopefully someone can move it over for me.

bsnyder
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Seen a fella out here make his shack out of old overhead doors.Great Idea , 2" thisk foam covered in aluminum.Light,strong and warm.He used them for walls and roof , angle in the corners and a few carrage bolts and you have a shack thats perfect.

pophouseman
12-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Ceezee, I work for a major building center and there is nothing going to be cheaper then vinyl siding. I could sell you white vinyl siding for around .75 cents per sq ft. If you were prefer colour it would be around .90 or so. if your in the edmonton area P.M me for more details.

dragon
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Paint

KegRiver
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
One of the nicest cabins I ever saw was sided with sawmill slabs.
The kind with one side cut and the other uncut log.

This fellow had stripped the bark of the log side, oiled them and used them for sideing. The effect was quiet like a log cabin, very attractive.
And dirt cheap. such slabs can often be had for nothing from the small local mills. The large mills ussualy chip of burn such slabs as they are not suitable for making dimensional lumber.

Another possible option is what my uncle did. He sided his house with rough lumber mounted vertical and oiled as with the cabin I mentioned.

I'm not certain but I think the oil they used was Linseed Oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits.

Geezle
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Vinyl siding is your cheapest option aside from plain ol' paint. Not terribly heavy either if weight is a concern. Throw some styrofoam insulation behind it and you're laughing :)

CeeZee
12-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I am trying to keep the weight down, and the cost lol but balancing the two seems to be a little tricky. Metal and Vinyl seem to be about the same price. I guess the advantage of the metal would be i dont have to add extra plywood on the outside, i can just strap it and put the tin on, I have never done vinyl siding but i am assuming i would need plywood of OSB under it right?

Looks like i still only have the two options, what about that used materials place in edmonton, whats their story