PDA

View Full Version : MacGregor Walleyes

Gust
12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Went to the Milo end today, by the wall the ice was only 4 inches but quite sturdy. Targetting whites, caught a couple but for all the fish seen thru the hole, shoulda caught more,, no worries, beaut of a day. So while stooped over watching white schools pass, what passes but a HUGE WALLEYE, easily 30 inches and then some. When they open MacGregor to walleye fishing/keeping, hola, the record is in there for sure. Lost a little pike. The whites were caught just under the ice not from the bottom, very odd, though we were fishing in 6 feet of water,,, yellow wire worm.

slingshotz
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Went to the Milo end today, by the wall the ice was only 4 inches but quite sturdy. Targetting whites, caught a couple but for all the fish seen thru the hole, shoulda caught more,, no worries, beaut of a day. So while stooped over watching white schools pass, what passes but a HUGE WALLEYE, easily 30 inches and then some. When they open MacGregor to walleye fishing/keeping, hola, the record is in there for sure. Lost a little pike. The whites were caught just under the ice not from the bottom, very odd, though we were fishing in 6 feet of water,,, yellow wire worm.

That's good to hear the ice is getting better. Last weekend I had a similar event happen except it was a huge burbot. The head was easily 5 inches across.

Is that massive crack the entire length of the dam still visible just off the rocks?

Gust
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
That's good to hear the ice is getting better. Last weekend I had a similar event happen except it was a huge burbot. The head was easily 5 inches across.

Is that massive crack the entire length of the dam still visible just off the rocks?

The crack is there but frozen, how thick I'm not sure, people were hopping it at parts and I saw someone fall pretty hard on an angled ice chunk. We pulled our sled from shore. Next time I go I'm going more by the boat ramp, the North end wall is like fishing under a bridge,, lotsa fish but usually not interested. To anyone thinking about fishing on the canal, give it another week and seriously stay away from the weir, yikers.