PDA

View Full Version : Chestermere Lake and Eagle Lake

Maverick112
12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi everyone, what would you use on the ice this year for chestermere, especially for pike, and same thing: what would you use for Eagle lake and especially for pike, and can you keep pike at eagle lake and chestermere lake?

Thanks,
Kyle Spoletini:)

Gary K
12-03-2010, 09:05 AM
If you want to jig for them I would use the larger stormwildeyes. Fished rather agressivly.
But personally I would use a tip up with a large smelt or herring with a quick strike rig. As far as keeping fish goes I'm not sure, but the regulations would definitly help you.

nicemustang
12-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Personally I think eagle is more or less a waste of time, but if you want to try it, go ahead.

As for chestermere, good population of small pike that can be fun and easy to catch. To date over the last few hours and a couple of afternoons fishing, have not a fish over 63 cm (though I wouldn't keep out of this slough anyway). I think the best spot is the far south end. You can park out there by the damn and walk on out. Have to walk about 100-200 feet, you'll see all the holes. Its quite shallow for a while so don't drill to early or you'll be getting new blades. Its quite weedy down there, so just after the weeds is good. About 8-10 FOW, again you should see all the holes.

As for fishing...use smelts or shiners. I use this method always while fishing pike on any lake. Put one line down - dead stick or on a tip up. I use a tip up if I'm doing big fish lake or my automatic fisherman if on a lake like chestermere. Usually just use a 1/4 oz jig head tipped with 4-5" smelt. The other hole I jig a spoon of some sorts agressively. Tipped with minnow or not, doesn't seemt to matter much. Use either the following: 3-4" len thompson spoon (five of diamonds, red and white, orange and black), norhtland buckshot rattle spoon (green or orange), or a puppet minnow in silver or perch color. I like the puppet minnows better than the jigging raps, but essentially the same thing. Then agressive jig it like crazy, pausing every so often. I watch this one on camera so I can se if it brings anything in. Pike might not alway bite the agressive spoon, but usually brings them in from a far. The agressive ones will rip at the spoon and you better be ready, others will take the dead stick so twice as much fun! I always do very well doing this. It's amazing when a 15 lber comes in at 40 MPH and takes your spoon while you jigging it....HOLD THE F ON!

Maverick112
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks man i bet that would help, and when you say youll see the holes , does that mean youll see ice fishermans prevoius used holes? and jig aggressivly with a smelt, ill have to try that, thanks so much:sHa_shakeshout:

Maverick112
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
and do you know if there is any ice on chestermere lake yet? Thanks so much

baitfisher83
12-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Chestermere wasn't too bad for me last year, saw a nice 4-5lber sitting right under the ice staring at our bait, managed one keeper

nicemustang
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Ice *SHOULD* be fine by now, but test it out. And yes, by holes I mean previously dirlled holes. The south side is where most people fish.

Maverick112
12-04-2010, 10:50 AM
thanks so much ill have to try it, i love catching pike!:sHa_shakeshout::)