PDA

View Full Version : Bait Supply

New Hunter Okotoks
12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
So the Canadian Tire in Okotoks has taken out the Bait Fridge and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the usual smelt/anchovie/herring around here.If I have to go into Calgary that's Okay, but going to High River or somewhere around here would be easier.

Thanks in Advance.

baitfisher83
12-03-2010, 12:00 PM
If you guys have a superstore out there, they'll have big bags of smelts there.....

New Hunter Okotoks
12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
If you guys have a superstore out there, they'll have big bags of smelts there.....

I already tried there, but no dice.It's called "No Frills" which is sort of a smaller Superstore with less selection. I thought they would them as well.

FishingMOM
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Try using shrimp instead

Or raw chicken skins cut into strips.

Or look at anchovies in a can, brined in salt water. Not sure if they would like the OIL kind.

wifeoutfishesme
12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I talked to Strathmore live bait today. He has no dealers in Okotoks now. He did mention the fly shop in High River, Esso in Black Diamond, or Esso in Longview. Otherwise "goin to Calgary"

New Hunter Okotoks
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I talked to Strathmore live bait today. He has no dealers in Okotoks now. He did mention the fly shop in High River, Esso in Black Diamond, or Esso in Longview. Otherwise "goin to Calgary"

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the info. I actually just got back from Fly's in High River.Great selection of baits in that little store.Friendly too.

usie33
12-03-2010, 04:03 PM
the sobeys in okotoks has the small size of smelts, but they dont come colored. so sometimes ill just color them myself. other then that you need to go to superstore in calgary and pick up a few bags of the big anchovies to stock pile.

Winch101
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Firstly I hope you ragged on them at crappy tire ...they have a sign the sportsmans friend ....good luck .... 130 th superstore and the best are the 8" mackerel ...small black dots on the side ....

Minnows right beside superstore at Cdn Tire ....if need be ...I buy my bait in Vulcan.
When you find good smelt , buy a few bags .....

usie33
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
the best are the 8" mackerel ...small black dots on the side ....

x2

New Hunter Okotoks
12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Firstly I hope you ragged on them at crappy tire ...they have a sign the sportsmans friend ....good luck .... 130 th superstore and the best are the 8" mackerel ...small black dots on the side ....

Minnows right beside superstore at Cdn Tire ....if need be ...I buy my bait in Vulcan.
When you find good smelt , buy a few bags .....

The Crappy Tire here in Okotoks has gone downhill in the last couple of years and just keeps getting worse. It's as if Canadian Tire has turned into a Pots and Pans,Debbie Travis store. I have now given up on CT and will shop elsewhere.

Thanks for the 130 Ave info.

BTW. Where in Vulcan do you get your bait?

WayneChristie
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Ive picked up bait at the gasstation on the street into Vulcan, I think its an Esso, they have a bait freezer. The IGA in Brooks usually has bait, sometimes smelts and usually herring. I pick up the gutted and beheaded smelt at an Asian market sometimes, I did really well on them last winter on a big jig. Safeway in Brooks also has very small smelts, more like minnows, from 2 1/2 or so inches up to 3 and the odd 4 inch. I caught my bigger pike last weekend on a smaller smelt. So Im going to upsize because I want a fish at least twice that size this winter.

DarkAisling
12-03-2010, 06:33 PM
the sobeys in okotoks has the small size of smelts, but they dont come colored. so sometimes ill just color them myself. other then that you need to go to superstore in calgary and pick up a few bags of the big anchovies to stock pile.

Do you know of a Superstore that has the big anchovies in stock? The Huntington Hills location only had the big bags of small smelts when I was there yesterday. I did pick up a bag, but I was hoping for something a lot bigger in bulk.

usie33
12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Do you know of a Superstore that has the big anchovies in stock? The Huntington Hills location only had the big bags of small smelts when I was there yesterday. I did pick up a bag, but I was hoping for something a lot bigger in bulk.

Sorry I couldnt tell you, I havnt gone bait shopping yet this year.

OutwardBound
12-03-2010, 08:37 PM
The Crappy Tire here in Okotoks has gone downhill in the last couple of years and just keeps getting worse. It's as if Canadian Tire has turned into a Pots and Pans,Debbie Travis store. I have now given up on CT and will shop elsewhere.

X2 They just got rid of the Tag / Licence machine. You have to go to the Wal-mart to buy licences. That should be an expirence.:angry3:

Dustin

Gust
12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Someone is buying up and hording smelts from Superstore,,, squid is really good though or bassa and then cut into smelt shape.

DarkAisling
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I stopped by TNT in Coventry and BPS tonight. TNT's smelts were cheaper than Superstore's, and they look the same (the little freshwater guys . . . which I'm not sure legally count as a "smelt"). TNT had the larger headless smelts, which Superstore did not. Those are great for PCR walleye . . . not sure how well the work elsewhere. I also picked up something called "Fimbriated Herring" at TNT. Not exactly sure what it is, but it was about 1/2 the price of BPS's herring and looks pretty similar. BPS had everything I could think of to look for (including coloured smelts in red and green).

The Fishing Hole (I was there yesterday) had a limited stock of fish, but they had lots of live bait.

I did look at the squid in TNT, but as I'd never heard of anyone using it I didn't bother to pick any up.

MoFugger21
12-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Ive picked up bait at the gasstation on the street into Vulcan, I think its an Esso, they have a bait freezer.

It is an Esso, but there's never any good bait there....... :) :scared0018:

RedHeadedFisherman
12-04-2010, 01:25 AM

x2 but wall-mart has 2lb pack os Silverside Smelts for about $7.00 .. thats where I get mine, for Walleye and pike..I cut them in 4 piecies..

RHF

Winch101
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
In the past we have gone to Vietnamese fish market on 17th ave

They have portugese smelt in bulk ...10-12 " for big pike ..

nice size and fresh , also you can pick up a chunk of eel to snack on .:scared0015:

superstore are very inconsistent in their ordering , that is why

when you find them buy a couple of bags ... I break the bags up into

5 smelt or so , the whole bag doesnt defrost then ..wrap the 5 paks in newspaper and keep in a cooler . drill two holes side by each like wayne , except drill one through and other 6" deep and let water fill it smelts will defrost quickly and stay firm.

When travers freezes and good to go maybe we can have a AO gathering and info exchange ( for nubes and kids ) I been ice fishin for over 50 yrs . might have some info.