PDA

View Full Version : Cutting "Big" Fishing Holes

CeeZee
12-07-2010, 07:24 AM
So I understand the reason for drilling the two holes to catch big fish, but is there some type of regulation on the size of hole that can be cut? I wondered if the was if they only make a 10inch auger and no bigger.
I personally dont like to see those big wholes, especially in places where the fisher picks up and leaves.

Example senario, Me and my family went fishing, drilled our holes and began fishing, as usual the kids cant sit still so they are wondering around and step into a "big" hole and down they go!!!!

At least with a single hole there is a better chance that only one leg will stay up, but a bigger hole they could fall right in.

Perhaps I am putting this post up just to remind people about being carefull with those holes, try and mark them or something, just think of the next people to come by that fishing spot when your not there that day.
Not a rant, just my thoughts.

Happy Fishing.
:)

WayneChristie
12-07-2010, 07:37 AM
I was going to mention something about people keeping an eye on their children in potentially dangerous situations, but I wont. None of my business if people let their kids play in traffic. Most days a hole freezes over enough to take weight in minutes.

Geezle
12-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I was going to mention something about people keeping an eye on their children in potentially dangerous situations, but I wont.
I think you just did! :lol:

And I'm on the trolley with your line of thinking.

Lilbita1
12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
While I kinda agree with your idea about supervision, I still figure it's our responsibility to fix what we break. If we create a potentially unsafe situation we gotta mitigate that when we are done (thanks Judge Judy lol). Posts about bow fishing and 2x3 or 4x5 holes got me thinking about this even more. When I leave my holes, whether it be an 8" or a 15x15" for the nets I freeze 'em back in with ice chunks and snow and mark 'em with a stick.

Jimboy
12-07-2010, 08:30 AM
So I understand the reason for drilling the two holes to catch big fish, but is there some type of regulation on the size of hole that can be cut? I wondered if the was if they only make a 10inch auger and no bigger.
I personally dont like to see those big wholes, especially in places where the fisher picks up and leaves.

Example senario, Me and my family went fishing, drilled our holes and began fishing, as usual the kids cant sit still so they are wondering around and step into a "big" hole and down they go!!!!

At least with a single hole there is a better chance that only one leg will stay up, but a bigger hole they could fall right in.

Perhaps I am putting this post up just to remind people about being carefull with those holes, try and mark them or something, just think of the next people to come by that fishing spot when your not there that day.
Not a rant, just my thoughts.

Happy Fishing.
:)

YUP , and a 25lb plus pike will easily fit through an 8 in hole , they squeeze up like a sponge and are so slippery , no problem , all you may need is a good fish grabber tool to grab it by the lower lip .

Geezle
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
When I leave my holes, whether it be an 8" or a 15x15" for the nets I freeze 'em back in with ice chunks and snow and mark 'em with a stick.

FYI a hole will freeze up faster if you don't put stuff in it :)

huntsfurfish
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Valid concerns CeeZee!

Not to surprised at the responses you got from the other posters. Unfortunately, lack of concern for others is growing on here and elsewhere!

Besides why in the world would anybody want to take any responsibility for their actions?

pophouseman
12-07-2010, 03:06 PM
HMMMM...take responsibility....... maybe be responsible enough to not take little kids out on the ice. It's not the safest place for children.......if you can't keep your kids under control, don't bring them....... me thinks parental responsibility is the issue here...why are you depending on someone else to make sure your kids are safe in a potentially unsafe situation.....just my opinion

huntsfurfish
12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Actually a combination of the 2 would be preferable!

diamonddave
12-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Valid concerns CeeZee!

Not to surprised at the responses you got from the other posters. Unfortunately, lack of concern for others is growing on here and elsewhere!

Besides why in the world would anybody want to take any responsibility for their actions?

Exactly! Know where your kids are, know what they are doing, and realize that just because you are out on a big wide open frozen lake, that you still have to watch over your kids. Take responsibility for you and your kids.
I always take my young kids out on the lake, but they also have been shown the dangers and have had the lessons of what is safe and what isn't. With this said, i still know where they are and what they are doing.
I am one of the guys that will pullout a 24X24 chunk of ice, but i will always put the ice back and mark it. It is up to everybody to pay attention and be safe.

AxeMan
12-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Safety comes with an effort from everyone including anglers not leaving dangerous situations and parents watching their children.

diamonddave
12-07-2010, 03:32 PM
"Not sure why some guys think they need big holes in the ice.........unless you are trying to lift the fish out sideways.....

Safety comes with an effort from everyone including anglers not leaving dangerous situations and parents watching their children."

We cut the big holes because it is a blast for the kids. They get to watch the fish and stay engaged, and optimistic, that we have a chance to catch one of those "big" fish. Its like having your own live aquarium, and the kids love it. And to me thats what its all about, listening to the kids laugh and getting excited. When we are done we put the ice back and mark the four corners with tree limbs.

Paul C
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Just wondering how you put augered ice chips back in the hole ?
Leaving large holes would that not endanger pets, wildlife and children as well ?

CeeZee
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
OK so its my resposability to watch my kids, no s*** Shurlock! You can show the kids the danger, how many people taught their kids to not touch its hot, and what happens?

how many 4 yr old kids have ran into a wall? they get excited and go to run and bam! they may know where the hole is but it doesnt mean they are alert to it non stop!

Everyone beaks about getting youth interested in the outdoors, and it people with the attitude like some here that dampen the opportunity for it, because they would be inconvenienced by pulling a fish thru a regular hole, i have never seen anyone need a hole bigger than 10 inch to pull fish out, but those were likely people who had kids and were not selfless.

Wasnt starting a rant but when comment like Mr Christie come thru it gets a little hairy.

You watch your kids as much as you can, think you get a bite, look down the hole for 1 second, that would be how long it would take for a kids to fall in.

To be honest i am in disbelief in some of the negative attitudes about it!!! Children's safety should be a concern for all Adults, but its more for "responsable" adults i guess.

FishingMOM
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I have NEVER seen the need for a larger hole than what a single auger can make on a single pass.

So many guys were worried about BUMPS if the debris wasnt flattened out when someone left a hole. I know I could easily put my foot through these double holes. I also know my son would be small enough to fall into said holes.
Infact in many areas it is recommended that you use an auger with a diameter of less than 6 inches. This is to keep everyone safe!

latenite
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
This thread is getting angry! I have seen these large hole (craters) lol, and they are very cool to watch and fish.Ii agree we need to watch our kids.I do, fortunately mine are older now, and can watch for themselves . BUT get a 5 year old on the ice and in approx 5.35 min, they're bored, and want to run. That's what kids do! thats what we did when we were young.
Whew! I believe the question was what do people think should be done with the larger holes when they're done with them, not how is he supposed to raise his kids.
Having said all that, I have seen these holes after they're vacated and I believe they will hold a child's weight after freezing a night or two, because usually when a shack is moved the hole has already stated freezing. most people leave them frozen when moving the shack and use the ice chunks and twigs and flagging to mark and surround the hole.
IMVHO

WayneChristie
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
YUP , and a 25lb plus pike will easily fit through an 8 in hole , they squeeze up like a sponge and are so slippery , no problem , all you may need is a good fish grabber tool to grab it by the lower lip .

Have you ever caught a 25 pound pike and landed it thru an 8 inch hole? and how much damage did you do to the fish with your lip grabber and scraping it against the ice??? Just curious.

DarkAisling
12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there is no legislation that governs what size hole one can cut.

That being said . . . any hole, regardless of size, can be a hazard.

Sowbelly
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
LOL Ok then....the hell with kids...Go drop the front tire of your $50,000 truck in a 24x24 hole and then we'll see who's watch'n who

WayneChristie
12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
forget it not worth a reply I bow to your infinite wisdom, might want to figure out your spellchecker tho.

npauls
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Hey Wayne,

I am by no means trying to get a scrap started but I have seen 28+lbs pike landed in an 8" hole. Once you get the mouth facing up the hole you can grab under the gill plate the same way you landed your big one the other day. an 8" or 10" is plenty of room for monsters. I have no problem with guys drilling bigger holes I just thought I would chuck that out there.

I have seen most guys get twigs and tie a small piece of flagging tape around each piece and stick it in snow all the way around a hole bigger then 10" to mark it off and be in clear site for anyone driving or walking.

Nate

DANOMAN
12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
In my opinion anyone who drives a $50,000 truck on the ice needs his head examined and should bury his head in one of those 24 x 24 hole till he turn blue from hypothermia. Ice fishing is about making holes in the ice so if you take rug rats on the ice they should be supervised at all times but some people shouldn't have kids because they don't know how to look after them!!:fighting0030:

huntsfurfish
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
"I raised my kids quite fine thank you. Maybe youve never seen anyone catch anything bigger than a little perch or trout. do you go bear hunting with a slingshot? Guess its alright to drag a fish thru a little hole and cause it all sorts of damage, maybe if you are going to eat it fine, but I like to let my fish live to get bigger. I fish almost exclusively in remote areas with no other people, if Im in an area with small kids I wouldnt be fishing for pike anyways.
You stick to your little hole and have fun. Dont tell me what to do when Im fishing, its legal, its fun, and Im not going to lose another fish thats too big to fit thru a 9 inch hole (not "whole) . And yes they are around. As for turning kids off the outdoors, if you dont want them to experience life with all its scrapes and bruises Id suggest you duct tape your kids to the wall, or buy a big plastic bubble. "

That says it all folks.

People can justify just about anything.

WayneChristie
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Wayne,

I am by no means trying to get a scrap started but I have seen 28+lbs pike landed in an 8" hole. Once you get the mouth facing up the hole you can grab under the gill plate the same way you landed your big one the other day. an 8" or 10" is plenty of room for monsters. I have no problem with guys drilling bigger holes I just thought I would chuck that out there.

I have seen most guys get twigs and tie a small piece of flagging tape around each piece and stick it in snow all the way around a hole bigger then 10" to mark it off and be in clear site for anyone driving or walking.

Nate

Id be the last person to cut a huge hole, Id be more worried about me falling in than anyone. :) But Im quite willing to be the badguy , obviously these people know me more than I do. and if there are a bunch of little kids running around the ice its either a forum gathering or its a different lake than Im fishing.

WayneChristie
12-07-2010, 06:37 PM
That says it all folks.

People can justify just about anything.

yup, glad you clarified that for me, especially since Id already deleted it in disgust. so how do you justify knowing everything about everyone and not being a politician? youve never met me, and anything you have ever had to say to me or about me has been negative. glad there are people like you on the forum to keep the rest of us sinners on the straight and narrow.

latenite
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
i wish i could catch a fish big enough the get stuck in a 8" hole!:rolleye2:

huntsfurfish
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Actually Wayne I just commented to a mutual acquantance(sp) just last week that in person you are probably a nice guy. I guess time will tell.

However when you post as you have, it is hard to say anything positive!

Just call it as I see it is all.

CeeZee
12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I never had a problem with the big holes, just like to see them taken care of after the fisherman left.
I have no worries about a kid falling in a hole and getting wet or getting a bruise, i too think its good for kids to get experience, but its a little hard for them to get more experience when they are drown under the ice.(a kid could fall right in and disapear)

but i know this thread is totally going the wrong way, and definately some iggnorant responses about taking care of kids!

Have fun with what i started i guess, until it gets locked lol

pikester
12-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, what a volatile thread! I will start by saying I have 3 kids all 7 to 4yrs old & I take them on the ice about twice a year. I do have worries about them falling into holes or getting run over by some jackarse doing 80+ kms across the ice but having said that I am the parent & therefore ultimately responsible for the safety & well being of my kids. I generally go out of my way to fish a long ways from the hordes just for this reason; reduce the threat reduce the probability of harm.

I also drill double holes when I'm pike fishing because contrary to some of the more expert anglers here who can weasle a trophy pike out of a 8" hole, I am not in that group. Last winter I tried for 10 minutes to get a huge pike though a 10" hole & couldn't get her head turned up the hole & finally lost that one :cry: I always mark my bigger holes with sticks &/or piles of snow so unless someone is tearing across the lake at uneccessary speed or just not watching where they are driving their $50,000 truck they will not go through one of my holes!

pophouseman
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
if you took your kids to the median on the QE2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................I'm just saying

pikester
12-07-2010, 07:55 PM
if you took your kids to the median on the qe2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................i'm just saying

:1041::1041:

goober
12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
if you took your kids to the median on the QE2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................I'm just saying

:computer-18:

pecker
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
:thinking-006:[QUOTE=latenite;757355]i wish i could catch a fish big enough the get stuck in a 8" hole!

or 6":thinking-006:

bigjeff
12-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Im not sure why reminding people to flag and or mark big holes for everyones safety and enjoyment has turned into a "how to parent" thread.

Good reminder CeeZee!

deanmc
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow looks like some people are amazing parents on this board, when it comes to raising someone else's kids.

Photoplex
12-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Only ice-fished a few times, but have always shoved a deadfall branch into the hole.

I just assumed this was standard hardwater etiquette, rather than something special that only a few (considerate) people did.

You learn something new every day.

mudbug
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
:party0052:

Cowtown guy
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Only ice-fished a few times, but have always shoved a deadfall branch into the hole.

I just assumed this was standard hardwater etiquette, rather than something special that only a few (considerate) people did.

You learn something new every day.

Try finding deadfall branches along the west end of Crawling Valley. Did I mention that there is often in excess of 30 holes by the time we are done?

Back to the original point of the thread. I think if you are cutting anything bigger than a double hole it should be marked before you leave. Can you imagine driving off the ice after fishing an evening bite for walleye and driving into a 2 foot x 2 foot hole? Wowzers!:sign0161:

Jimboy
12-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Have you ever caught a 25 pound pike and landed it thru an 8 inch hole? and how much damage did you do to the fish with your lip grabber and scraping it against the ice??? Just curious.

Yes l have , actually it weighed 28 lbs , slid up through the hole with ease , like l said they squeeze up like a sponge and you know how slippery they are .
The fish grabber if you havnt seen one is a dull nosed tool the grabs the pikes lower lip and dont penetrate the lip what so ever , and is the best way to lift a big pike out of a hole , much better than grabbing them with your hand behind the gills , now that DOES damage the fish.

Christofficer
12-08-2010, 02:02 AM
I don't care if people cut big holes, but marking them afterward should be mandatory. It's just the logical thing to do.

CeeZee
12-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah most of us fish till dark or into dark except when you have little ones, a person has to leave early to have enuf time to read the AOF to find out how to put the kids to bed. Drving off the ice its tuff to see ALL the holes, and wammo that would be an eye opener for sure! Thats where you hope you have a JACK-ALL lol.

Cowtown guy
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes l have , actually it weighed 28 lbs , slid up through the hole with ease , like l said they squeeze up like a sponge and you know how slippery they are .
The fish grabber if you havnt seen one is a dull nosed tool the grabs the pikes lower lip and dont penetrate the lip what so ever , and is the best way to lift a big pike out of a hole , much better than grabbing them with your hand behind the gills , now that DOES damage the fish.

I wonder what happens to all of the internal organs as they get squished out of place?:thinking-006:

What about all of the slime that is left on the ice? Its there for a reason. It is intended to stay on the fish and protect them from bacterias and such. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't form again in a few minutes.

weedcatcher
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I wonder what happens to all of the internal organs as they get squished out of place?:thinking-006:

What about all of the slime that is left on the ice? Its there for a reason. It is intended to stay on the fish and protect them from bacterias and such. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't form again in a few minutes.

:rolleye2:
Oh please. If you catch a fish that big, then you're going to be holding it [probably like Mr. Christy did with his arm] and taking pics. Where does the slime go then? You're very concerned about the well-being of these fish, so I suggest you not hurt them at all. Don't fish. When you put a big hook into it and haul it up, you're not TICKLING it!

It's not a big deal to mark an oversized hole. You're more concerned about the slime on the fish than a kid going under the ice. Give your head a shake.

Some people. :sign0176:

Quite a lot of jerks on here.

It's called 'having consideration for others' and it's not a difficult concept. Cut your big holes, Fine. But MARK THEM WHEN YOU'RE DONE! It's only gonna take you a couple seconds to pile some tall snow around it or put in a stick or something.

Get rid of the 'Don't tell me what to do" attitude. You'd think this was an American forum.

pophouseman
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I am not saying i am an uncaring, unsafe angler....all i am saying is in my opinion it is not up to me to make sure your kids dont run into my hole while your not looking. It doesnt make me an @$$hole because i don't want to babysit your kids for free. on this note please look up "Forum" in the dictionary. it will tell you that a forum is: Public area to openly discuss topics of interest
well a discussion is what we were having, i dont see that a forum is for judging people because they don't agree with you. just because i dont agree with you, doesn't mean i am an @$$hole....seems maybe a little ignorant.

pophouseman
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
"sounds like an american forum" ..............................wow.........again seems a little ignorant, but in the spirit of a "FORUM" i will say IMO

weedcatcher
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
And I'm saying that if you leave an oversized hole, and don't mark it at all, then you ARE an unsafe and uncaring angler.

Whether there's kids there or not!

If you're still fishing the hole, or are fishing within a couple meters of it, and aren't done with yet, then, no you don't have make sure my kids don't fall in. But when you LEAVE, then yes, you have a responsibility to the people who will be passing by or fishing near there later on. That is called "having consideration for others".

And I'm not even talking about regular 8" holes. I'm just talking about the the double holes and especially something 24" by 24". I don't care if a boot gets wet or even lost. I do care about a little kid falling in, and so should you if you are, indeed, a safe and caring human, let alone angler.

Yes, you can express your opinions freely. From those opinions, and how you express them many people can gauge your attitude and behavior. If you go out of your way to present yourself [not just you, but anyone on any forum] as a jerk, or an @$$hole, then don't cry when you're called on it.

Christofficer
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I dunno why ppl are so butt hurt over this. Even if the likelyhood is slim someone is gonna fall into an ice fishing hole it's still your duty to mark it for others, since you made the hole in the first place. Now there's 2 other threads on this board because people on here act like babies and have to bring up a stupid topic and act like children.

Fishfinder
12-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Hmm, touchy subject. I should just stay away from this one but nah, I love a good debate.

I'm newer to icefishing and this is my plan.
Single holes, even doubles connected together(6 or 8") I do not plan to mark as I agree with some posters, they freeze up very very fast and I simply don't see danger there.
Anything bigger than that I plan on marking. I could see a couple 10-12" connected holes taking a lil longer to freeze up. That's big enough for me to see potential danger there and it takes lil time to mark it with a big ol pile of snow or branches where available. Not gonna touch on the kiddie thing but I simply don't want anyone/anything hurting themself/itself over tripping in me holes. That's just me though:)
However, when I invest in an icesaw and drill 2 holes 6 feet apart and saw inbetween them so I have a nice big long hole I'm gonna mark em really good, just haven't decided what's the best way to do it. I only plan to cut these holes on ice where vehicles are not permitted as I could see that being a large hazard. Fortunately for me, most lakes I fish have ample trees and such around so marking them will be easy I reckon.
That's just my 2 sense. Be gentle on me:scared0018:
Cheers n GL all!

huntsfurfish
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Single auger holes fine i guess. But double auger holes and bigger, it wouldnt hurt to mark them. Sure might if you dont though. Wonder what the legalities could/would be if you got someone hurt?

weedcatcher
12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Hmm, touchy subject. I should just stay away from this one but nah, I love a good debate.

Single holes, even doubles connected together(6 or 8") I do not plan to mark as I agree with some posters, they freeze up very very fast and I simply don't see danger there.

Wouldn't that depend on air temperature, and adjacent ice temperature? How do you know they'll freeze up very fast. Have you sat and timed it? Are you thinking a couple hours? 15 Minutes?

Okay, say you've fished until dusk, or a bit later. Now you're heading off the ice, and there's really not too many people around. In that situation, I'll agree with you. By morning, they'll be froze up.

Say you get to the ice first light. You cut a double 8" hole, but you head off the ice at mid-afternoon. You're at a popular lake like McGregor. In this case, I'd say it is irresponsible to leave the hole unmarked. As soon as you leave, then a family may unknowingly come into that region. Dad scouts around for any dangers, but doesn't see your double hole, because its not marked. 3 year old kid is wandering while Dad is fighting a big pike. OOPS. Kid falls all the way in, and his wet snow clothes prevent him from being able to free himself. Dead kid. If it was marked, then Dad would have seen it, and more actions could be taken to prevent the catastrophe. If it was just a single hole, then kid gets a wet boot and screams for a while. No biggie.

Redfrog
12-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Anything bigger than that I plan on marking. I could see a couple 10-12" connected holes taking a lil longer to freeze up. That's big enough for me to see potential danger there and it takes lil time to mark it with a big ol pile of snow or branches where available. Not gonna touch on the kiddie thing but I simply don't want anyone/anything hurting themself/itself over tripping in me holes. That's just me though:)
However, when I invest in an icesaw and drill 2 holes 6 feet apart and saw inbetween them so I have a nice big long hole I'm gonna mark em really good, just haven't decided what's the best way to do it. I only plan to cut these holes on ice where vehicles are not permitted as I could see that being a large hazard. Fortunately for me, most lakes I fish have ample trees and such around so marking them will be easy I reckon.
That's just my 2 sense. Be gentle on me:scared0018:
Cheers n GL all!

I'm thinking a cattle guard would work great. I have a 16 footer for sale.:)

Fishfinder
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking a cattle guard would work great. I have a 16 footer for sale.:)

Bwahahaha! for sure lol:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Bit much to lug out though harhar!

DarkAisling
12-08-2010, 04:18 PM
As soon as you leave, then a family may unknowingly come into that region. Dad scouts around for any dangers, but doesn't see your double hole, because its not marked. 3 year old kid is wandering while Dad is fighting a big pike. OOPS. Kid falls all the way in, and his wet snow clothes prevent him from being able to free himself. Dead kid. If it was marked, then Dad would have seen it, and more actions could be taken to prevent the catastrophe. If it was just a single hole, then kid gets a wet boot and screams for a while. No biggie.

Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

And yes, I have kids (two and seventeen). Yes, I'd drill a big double hole. Would I mark it? Depends on whether or not something is laying around that would allow me to.

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."

Fishfinder
12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I just thought of how I'm gonna mark my icesaw holes.

If u see a snowman with long twigs as arms, a bobber as it's nose, and a bunch of pebbles across it's belly reading "CAUTION" that will be my marking:sHa_shakeshout: Be careful!
If the snow aint sticky enough for that then I'm gonna build a teepee with branches over my hole and when I return to my hole, I'll have readily available firewood.
That won't be till next year though, ice saw aint in the budget right now.
Still may build some snowmen though this year jus for giggles:medium-smiley-035:

DarkAisling
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I just thought of how I'm gonna mark my icesaw holes.

If u see a snowman with long twigs as arms, a bobber as it's nose, and a bunch of pebbles across it's belly reading "CAUTION" that will be my marking:sHa_shakeshout: Be careful!
If the snow aint sticky enough for that then I'm gonna build a teepee with branches over my hole and when I return to my hole, I'll have readily available firewood.
That won't be till next year though, ice saw aint in the budget right now.
Still may build some snowmen though this year jus for giggles:medium-smiley-035:

:lol:

Just remember that whatever you use will wind up in the lake when the ice thaws. Also, gravel could wreck an auger blade real quick if it wound up hidden in the snow and ice.

Fishfinder
12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
:lol:

Just remember that whatever you use will wind up in the lake when the ice thaws. Also, gravel could wreck an auger blade real quick if it wound up hidden in the snow and ice.

Yeah, I would only use lake friendly things, ie) fallen branches, leaves n such. Good call on the rocks though hurting an auger, never thought of that.
Cheers DA:cool:
This may have been discussed somewhere before but anyone know of any "nature friendly" spraypaint that would be harmless? I could eliminate the pebbles and use that instead.

huntsfurfish
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
"Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

And yes, I have kids (two and seventeen). Yes, I'd drill a big double hole. Would I mark it? Depends on whether or not something is laying around that would allow me to.

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection.""

Every year there are kids with parents like this(perfect) that have accidents. They are the same ones that claim they only took their eyes off them for a second.

weedcatcher
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Please . . . that dad is too busy with the freakin' fish to notice anything. Who would bring his/her three-year-old out on the ice without a dedicated supervisor? Are people really that stupid? Do you even have kids, or are you just making up crap to prove your point?

BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."

Yes, the little kid who may one day fall into an oversized and unmarked hole DOES DESERVE TO DIE. Your sentiment has been well proven, and I defer to your superior argument. Well said!

Cowtown guy
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
:rolleye2:
Oh please. If you catch a fish that big, then you're going to be holding it [probably like Mr. Christy did with his arm] and taking pics. Where does the slime go then? You're very concerned about the well-being of these fish, so I suggest you not hurt them at all. Don't fish. When you put a big hook into it and haul it up, you're not TICKLING it!

It's not a big deal to mark an oversized hole. You're more concerned about the slime on the fish than a kid going under the ice. Give your head a shake.

Quite a lot of jerks on here.

It's called 'having consideration for others' and it's not a difficult concept. Cut your big holes, Fine. But MARK THEM WHEN YOU'RE DONE! It's only gonna take you a couple seconds to pile some tall snow around it or put in a stick or something.

Get rid of the 'Don't tell me what to do" attitude. You'd think this was an American forum.

Shake your own head or learn how to read. Don't go all high and mighty on me unless you know what you are talking about. Read my post and tell me where I was advocating the use of large troughs or not filling these types of holes in.

That's right, it isn't there. I never said I wasn't concerned about oversized holes. I was talking about using a proper sized hole to not do unnecessary harm to the fish. I don't think a double hole is a big deal but a 24" square is a different story.

For the record I wet my hands and support the fish under the belly with a wet hand to minimize the slime removal and lend support to the internal organs. I also use a 10" hole when Pike fishing which was what my post was about. This way they don't bugger up the inards as they are squeezing out of the hole.

Quite a lot of jerks on here. (see how easy that fits into this post too)

Shmag
12-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Call me stupid i guess

pophouseman
12-09-2010, 08:03 AM
BTW: I've got a phrase to describe your little scenario: "Natural Selection."[/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH :sHa_shakeshout:

weedcatcher
12-09-2010, 08:26 AM
So, at this point in the thread it seems like everyone is in agreement. Oversized holes should be marked when the people who cut them leave. Yes? Any who vote against?

I think it should also be mentioned that young children should be CLOSELY supervised, and not left to wander around.

Agreed?

madatter
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
What's the definition of oversize?
What's the definition of marking?
I've used a 10" for 20 years and don't consider it oversize.....some people might oh well that's their choice.
As far as marking goes well there is usually a nice pile of snow around my holes cause I shovel it nice and smooth around the hole......should be a good indication to people that there is something there.
Maybe some common sense and situational awareness would be in order when doing anything outdoorsy......to expect everything to be completely safe in anything you do is just asking for trouble.

weedcatcher
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
What's the definition of oversize?

My own definition would be something a 2 or 3 yr old could fall all the way in through. I don't think a 10" would qaulify, but that's just me.

What's the definition of marking?
I think it can be anything that brings attention to someone scanning for dangers / hazards. A pile of snow is ideal, But again, that's just me.

As far as marking goes well there is usually a nice pile of snow around my holes cause I shovel it nice and smooth around the hole......should be a good indication to people that there is something there.
Agreed.

Maybe some common sense and situational awareness would be in order when doing anything outdoorsy......to expect everything to be completely safe in anything you do is just asking for trouble.

Also agreed.

:happy0180:

FishBrain
12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Funny, I have kids, and I take them fishing, AND the FIRST thing I say to them is watch out for the ice, holes, thin, whatever, yes even the iceholes that are fishing.
That being said kids will be kids. Last year boy went into 2 holes. one was a 10"er he realized he had a brainfart moment. got wet, then stopped having fun. I dont think he will do that again. But being a kid I wont put it past him.
with THAT being said. if you have kids, pay attention to them!! they will actually have a better time if you do! if you drill big holes, maybe put a stick in it to mark it.
Either way it is both of our responsibility out there, if I lose a kid down your hole, I would put money on the fact you would not say to me I should have been watching my kid, I bet you feel like a bag of crap because you made such a big hole.

SO, Dont be an ICEHOLE and lets all work together! cover your hole and watch your kids.
lmao