PDA

View Full Version : Best electronic 'yote caller

gitrdun
12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Thus far, I've been using mouth calls. But I've found out that the "yote" calls, such as invitations, challengers, etc do lose their tone after some use. The distress calls, not so much. So, I've been pondering the remote electronic callers the like of the FoxPro Spitfire which is sold at BP for $199.99. The higher end FoxPro's go for upward of $600.00. There are others out there. But, the problem that I've read about in my research is the lacking reach between the remote and the receiver. Some say tall grass will reduce communication to less than 50 yds. Others report that the unit is not loud enough to reach dogs a mile away. If I'm going to drop cash on one of these units, I want good comm's between the remote and receiver, I want it loud, and I want lot's of 'yote talk, don't care about geese, magpies, etc. What's the best choice from experience?

DOGFISH
12-09-2010, 08:58 PM
IMO the electronic callers are getting less effective in some areas due to over use. The recent popularity is educating alot of coyotes and I think these learning are being passed on to the younger ones. This is not to say they do not work but it seems they work less and less every season. The good thing about mouth calls is you are able to change up your calls but with an electronic it always sounds the same. As for range of the electronic remote is Ok up to 70/80 yards in my expeirence. With that being said I called in my first Coyote to 75 yards with a dog sqeaker toy from the dollar store. Ive been mixing it up as the calling is getting tougher.

gitrdun
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
IMO the electronic callers are getting less effective in some areas due to over use. The recent popularity is educating alot of coyotes and I think these learning are being passed on to the younger ones. This is not to say they do not work but it seems they work less and less every season. The good thing about mouth calls is you are able to change up your calls but with an electronic it always sounds the same. As for range of the electronic remote is Ok up to 70/80 yards in my expeirence. With that being said I called in my first Coyote to 75 yards with a dog sqeaker toy from the dollar store. Ive been mixing it up as the calling is getting tougher.

Sounds as though what you're telling me is to stick with my mouth calls, perhaps enhance them with a Jack in the Box deally. My Primo's howler is getting old, lost it's pitch so to speak. So perhaps, I ought to renew my mouth calls. Primo's was good to start, but the pitch is getting lower and sounds like a cow.

DOGFISH
12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah I have never had the "batteries" die on me half way through a stand on my mouth calls.

Redfrog
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
There are much better howlers than primos out there. I have soem that I've used for over 10 years and they still work fine.
As to the electronics, go with FOXPRO. They have excellent customer service and a good product. I've had coyotes come on a dead run from two miles ut only to die tired 50 yards from the caller. The remotes work fine. I've used them out to 300 yds and no issues.

gitrdun
12-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Funny, as I type this enjoying my coffer at 7:00 am, the kitchen window is cracked open and the 'yotes are serenading. Anyhow, on my way home from work I stopped in at WSS and couldn't help myself. I looked at the Johnny Stewart but didn't like the selection of calls on their memory sticks. I ended up with a Primo's Big Dogg. Got it home and tried it out. It seems well made, loud enough and the sounds are realistic. Didn't get a chance to see how far the remote works, that'll happen later today. The only thing that disappointed me slightly is that I found it it's made in China. The warranty is 6 months and only applicable to the US.

As a side note, the fellow behind that guncounter tried his best to answer my question but admitted that he was no expert. He then walked me over to archery where the fellows were more knowledgeable with the calls. Friendly service and help from the staff at Calgary WSS, thanks gents.

DOGFISH
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Let us know how your new purchase works for you. Good Luck.