PDA

View Full Version : Using makarel for big pike?

pikehunter1989
12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone ever use makeral for big pike? I picked some up from the t&t market.they are about 8 or 10 inches long. Just wondering if anyone has used them? Im heading out to Wabamun tomorrow with my pal mooseknuckle so I'll let you guys know how they worked

Dust1n
12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
dont tell everyone about TNT just saying thats were i buy my herring,smelts and mackeral for pike. mackeral works great just un thaw em before there on your hook i think they hold up faster and give off more oil wich intises more bites from pike

Big Red 250
12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I've tried them in the past with no luck, but my friends catch pike with them. I prefer smelt up to 12 inches.

pikehunter1989
12-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Ok well atleast gives me some hope. I'll post tommorow and let you know how the day went

handicap
12-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Ok well atleast gives me some hope. I'll post tommorow and let you know how the day went

I purchace my smelts from superstore. They seem to do just fine and they have a good variety of sizes to choose from.

Gary K
12-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I always use mackeral when I opt for a larger size bait. I've caught many of pike useing them and a fair ammount of wally's as well. It amazes me how large a baitfish a hammer handel pike will hit. I have had great sucsesss with mackeral and compare them to useing a larger smelt or herring.
If you find a good deal on em grab em. They seem to go on sale at superstore a fair bit.

Gary

lone wolf
12-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Mackerel are one of the "go to" baits in the UK/Europe. They are very oily and hold a lot better on the hook than Herring,

-JR-
12-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I find the trick is to prehook them at home ,then take some fishing line and wrap loop around the the hook wire on to the fish ,as when jigging the hooks seem to fall out ,but the loops will hold everything together.
Once all tied up . coffie cans are a good way to store them.
Merry Christmas and tight lines .
JR

New Hunter Okotoks
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I used mackerel for the first time last year. When my mackerel baited tipup tripped I figured that I had a hog for sure. It was about a 3lb pike LOL. That same day I caught 2 40+" Pike. One on a 6" smelt and the other on an anchovie. I think that if the pike are feeding they will take whatever is in front of them. ( I still like using big baits though) LOL!!!

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I tried some mackerel last winter, about 14 inches long. Saw a few pike staring them down, but no takers. I prefer big herring myself, altho this winter I caught my personal best pike on a quarter ounce jig with a 2 inch minnow, so its all about the right place at the right time I guess.

vettedreamer
12-19-2010, 01:43 PM
this might sound silly but lost 1st in a tourney last year when the guy right beside me caught a 6 to my 4 pounder using wait for it...........beef heart about 1/4 the size of the herring I was using. :sign0176: may want to give that a try ??????? let me know not leaving home without it now

packhuntr
12-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I also prefer herring. Great baby whitefish immitation type bait. Caught hogs on just about everything though. No ryme or reason sometimes it seems.

Big Red 250
12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
this might sound silly but lost 1st in a tourney last year when the guy right beside me caught a 6 to my 4 pounder using wait for it...........beef heart about 1/4 the size of the herring I was using. :sign0176: may want to give that a try ??????? let me know not leaving home without it now
I never had a problem with the hooks coming out of the bait, but then I never jigged it, I just hung em on a tip-up.

Gust
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Ham Fat is amazing as is whole squid,, i think it's a bit of the bright white and oily factor. The ham fat needs to be cured a bit or you can't set the hook.

Monster Pike Man
12-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Beef Heart works really well.

Big Red 250
12-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Pork heart is good for walleye in the summer.

pikehunter1989
12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys. So it was a bit of a slow day. Had lots of lookers and teasers just not many takers. Only landed 3 between well 2 of us since mooseknuckle got skimmed ( sorry had to toss it in there) but can't wait for my week off work after x-mas.