PDA

View Full Version : smoking

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
For all you trout junkies, this is my version of smoked fish, and nope they aint trout. and between 2 people for all you eagle eyed observers. cant wait til they are done!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout: I dont usually keep fish, but wanted to try smoking these things once, should last the whole winter. I didnt want to wait to cure them first, so I just did a dry rub with a little bit of ground dried cayenne from my garden, and Montreal steak spice. Man that smells good!!!!!!!:love:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF1576.jpg

Pudelpointer
12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
WC, looks like Burbot to me.

I have never tried smoking burbot or not brining fish before the smoker. I don't make up a brine like most people do, I just lay the pieces in a dish and heavily salt them (pickling) and sprinkle about the same amount of brown sugar. Usually brine over night to 24 hours. Quick rinse, let dry, then into the smoker.

Please report back on how they turn out.

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 03:36 PM
All I can say so far, is every time I check the chips my belly feels like its eating my backbone, those smell sooooooooo good.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: and yes they are burbs. havent had smoked cod for a very long time. I have to work tomorrow so I had to smoke them today, or Id have done the brine thing, I figure with all the salt and spices in the steak stuff it should do a good job anyways. Using hickory just because I dont have any apple chips at the moment, thats my favorite wood for smoking.

iliketrout
12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Looks tasty Wayne I'll trade you a brookie or two for some Burb! I'll bring the beer!

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Beeeeeerrrrrr :sHa_shakeshout:

Pudelpointer
12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I found a bag of Applewood chips mixed with a small amount of Alder. I really like it.

howlin
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
if your cold smoking them the cure is there for a reason.

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I use a little Chief, hot smoker, I dont trust wild fish to be safe unless its cooked. Ive seen too many cysts and weird growths to want to take the chance. Some of the fish have growths too :sHa_sarcasticlol:

howlin
12-19-2010, 09:09 PM
ive found that a good thermometer is your best friend ,the stock ones never work good .make sure that the temps get to over 170 f .nobody wants to get sick.but i digress ,hope it turns out good ,keep us posted:)

Fishfinder
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Mmm looks good Wayne. Making a brine up myself later today, for some nice brookies, first smoked brooks...can't wait!:) Still learning the whole smoking thing...n I love it!
Burb eh, looks like they have kept u busy inbetween the pikeys. Nice:)
Hope they turn out grrrrreat!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cheers.

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
let the smoker run all day yesterday, even made an insulated jacket for it, but the top rack just didnt get enough heat, so they spent the night in the fridge, and after dinner tonight Im going to finish them off in the oven. still have all the smoked flavour so Im thinking they are going to be awesome!

Redfrog
12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Wayne it may not be a good idea to eat those from the top rack. Who knows what could happen. You can send them to me and I'll do some testing just to be safe. Can't be too careful you know. :thinking-006:

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Wayne it may not be a good idea to eat those from the top rack. Who knows what could happen. You can send them to me and I'll do some testing just to be safe. Can't be too careful you know. :thinking-006:

Thats true, actually I figured Id let my lady try those ones, maybe I can return her Christmas present if they are no good :scared0018:

hayseed
12-20-2010, 08:40 PM
That looks great Wayne, havent smoked some fish for awhile, cant wait man..... your makin me hungry bud.....

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 08:57 PM
First batch finished in the oven, did these plain in the smoker, added salt and garlic powder before finishing them. not too bad at all.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF1577.jpg

and the ones I did with the dry rub and cayenne. and they are frikkin awesome!!!!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF1578.jpg

smoked 3 front halves too and ate a couple fried, and the rest in the freezer to be eaten pretty soon Im thinking! that should take care of my keeper fish for the winter, til I get into those humpy perch.

fandgwidow
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Thats true, actually I figured Id let my lady try those ones, maybe I can return her Christmas present if they are no good :scared0018:

Official taste tester here. :wave:
Good news is they taste even better than they smell. :47b20s0:
Bad news is no returns allowed. :love0025:

Fishfinder
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Thus spoke Zarathustra. Keep that boy/man in shape, we got some wrangling to do!
Cheers n GL!